Plugin Contributions

Default Update to template

Hi all,

I have trawled the forms so apologies if the answer is out there in one or more replies but I am unable to find an answer to this:

I have an established shop with lots of products in, however the design and layout look dated and tired, plus I wanted a responsive template so I will be using 'Responsive Apparel Boutique Template'.

I have a test environment on the same Linux server that the main shop is hosted on and have done the bare minimum required to get the new responsive theme working.

My question is - is there an easy way to import my shops current content into the test area? When I installed this new theme it makes lots of sql changes, so am I right to assume that if I just import a backup of my database I will overwrite these changes?

Am I going about this the wrong way, should I just install the new template in my live environment?

Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.

Its a pretty scary thing to be doing especially as my site is live and established, I cannot afford to have any downtime or errors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Update to template

Quote Originally Posted by totalnetworx View Post
    Hi all,

I have trawled the forms so apologies if the answer is out there in one or more replies but I am unable to find an answer to this:

I have an established shop with lots of products in, however the design and layout look dated and tired, plus I wanted a responsive template so I will be using 'Responsive Apparel Boutique Template'.

I have a test environment on the same Linux server that the main shop is hosted on and have done the bare minimum required to get the new responsive theme working.

My question is - is there an easy way to import my shops current content into the test area? When I installed this new theme it makes lots of sql changes, so am I right to assume that if I just import a backup of my database I will overwrite these changes?

Am I going about this the wrong way, should I just install the new template in my live environment?

Any assistance or guidance would be much appreciated.

Its a pretty scary thing to be doing especially as my site is live and established, I cannot afford to have any downtime or errors.
    I would recommend using the Winchester Black or Westminster New ad these are the most recently updated of my template packages and use php mobile detect to serve up the optimized layouts for devices instead of relying solely on media queries.

I would recommend cloning either your entire live site (files and database) or just the database (if you want to start with a fresh set of zen cart files) to your test server. Then you can install the template, make your changes, do your testing, etc. and just update your customers, orders, product, etc. info (if needed) when you want to switch it over to your live site.

Thanks,

Anne