Plugin Contributions

Default upgrade question

I would like to upgrade my Zen Cart from v1.5.1 to the new 1.5.4.
    I am using the template Sheffield Blue. If I upgrade does my template
    stay intact.
    k

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: upgrade question

Quote Originally Posted by ken1 View Post
    stay intact.
    k
    Check the list of changed files against the template files. If there are same files you need to merge the changes into the template files. If there are changes in template_default files you will want to merge these into the template override files if they exist.

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ken1 View Post
    stay intact.
    As long as the template didn't require any changes to the ZenCart 'core' files (those that are a part of the ZenCart distribution files), and as long as all of the template files are in their own folders, then yes, they will stay intact.

FWIW, although it is generally recommended to compare the files for any relevant changes, I generally find it quicker and easier to forgo this step (especially for template related files) and just go ahead with the upgrade, and if this does happen to 'break' things I'll just re-install the template according to the original instructions.

You should keep a *full* back of the site before doing this though, because there are often(?) times when the template files have had their own modifications for any given store, and performing a reinstall of the template will negate those changes.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    As long as the template didn't require any changes to the ZenCart 'core' files (those that are a part of the ZenCart distribution files), and as long as all of the template files are in their own folders, then yes, they will stay intact.

FWIW, although it is generally recommended to compare the files for any relevant changes, I generally find it quicker and easier to forgo this step (especially for template related files) and just go ahead with the upgrade, and if this does happen to 'break' things I'll just re-install the template according to the original instructions.

You should keep a *full* back of the site before doing this though, because there are often(?) times when the template files have had their own modifications for any given store, and performing a reinstall of the template will negate those changes.

Cheers
    RodG
    While this holds as a general rule (the template-related files change very rarely), the template-file handling of a product's URL did change in v1.5.3 and the checkout-payment template-file handling changed in v1.5.4. As such, it's best to do a full file-system file compare just to be certain that you've picked up all the changes and corrections.