Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading To v1.5.4 - Database and public_html

SignTorch,

One question on your suggestion: If I took that approach, would it be necessary to do a re-direct since my url would no longer be www.mydomain.com, but www.mydomain/store.com?

Please advise.

Thanks Again,
    Phil

Plugin Contributions

you can use something like this in an .htacess in your public_html to accomplish what SignTorch is talking about

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www.)?YourDomain.com$
    RewriteRule ^(/)?$ store [L]
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Soth View Post
    mc12345678....you are correct in restating my question...."When creating the demo store, should the store's directory be placed as a sub-directory of the existing store or in a separate sub-directory that is at the same server folder level as the existing store?"

While I am still waiting for an answer, I am trending toward a separate subdirectory at the same folder level as the existing store (the second option in the diagram from my previous post), if for no other reason than backing up (ie., copy to my local pc) would double the amount of time and space, and needlessly complicate the backup process. Observations?
    I know I'm "late to the party", but if you want to fully test your v1.5.4 store's operation (including SSL-based pages) the easiest way is to install your upgrade in a sub-directory of the current site. That way, it inherits your current site's SSL credentials so that you can validate proper operations during the account-creation, login and checkout processes.

Plugin Contributions

Hey barco57....Thanks for the response....I have used re-direct before by editing the .htaccess file and it worked just fine, but I was hoping to be able to use something that doesn't slow down my website speed, even a little bit. But thanks for suggestion!

Plugin Contributions

lat9......I have been on the fence as to which approach is the better of the two, but your comment regarding inheriting the SSL credentials is a very cogent one. I had been wondering about that aspect of testing (along with other enhancement/plug-in stuff) in the back of my mind and now you have very nicely clarified it for me. I am now tipped toward the sub-directory of the current site approach.

Thank You!
    Phil

Plugin Contributions

I'm finally back after upgrading to 1.5.4 and going live. lol I used to prefer my test site to be a different subdomain as I could get all my configure settings set and then just change the subdomain. However I was using a shared SSL certificate. This time however I have a private SSL and found the exact problem lat9 mentioned about not being able to fully test. Therefore I would suggest if you are going to learn this learn the way he is suggesting instead of having to relearn this process as your store become larger and more complex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12