Plugin Contributions

Default Additional image problem

Hi all,

Hope I am posting in the correct place, my apologies if not. I am still not entirely sure where things are meant to go here.
    I am hoping that somebody may have some insightful knowledge about zencart additional images that I am not aware of.

I am currently developing a new version of my employers website locally. I have copied the database, installed the latest version of zencart, upgraded the database etc... for the most part everything seems to be running fine. The one persistent problem I have is with the additional images.

All the images currently work fine on our live site http://www.anglerscorner.co.uk, they do not show on my local version (not without some hassle, this will be explained later).

I have read lots of instructions online about additional images before coming on here and tried lots of things, for example:
    • I have copied all my product images over to my local /images (all loose in here, as they have always been on my employers site).
    • Each product is named as a product number, ie '015689.jpg'. With additional images using 'a', 'b', etc. Example: '015689a.jpg', '015689b.jpg'. (Which is the same as the live site.)
    • 'Show product additional images' is set to '1'.
    • I have tried reverting back to the classic theme.
    • I read online somewhere that images should have a word in the name so I have tried renaming some images on my 'live' site to include 'ang' at the start, ie 'ang015689.jpg', 'ang015689a.jpg', 'ang015689b.jpg'. I then re-copied the database over to my local site and upgraded it, copied the new image files over with the new name but still they do not show.

I have noticed one strange thing. I noted a product with additional images down and looked it up in admin and went to it's 'product details' page. In the 'Products Image' section I tried writing the 'Image Name:' into the 'Or, select an existing image file from server, filename:' box (changing nothing, just re-writing it), I then clicked 'preview' and then 'update'.

When returning to the product on the site the additional images were now showing! ...I know this may appear like I have solved my own problem but this solution really isn't ideal as we would have to update thousands of products manually.

Are there any lovely zen guru's out there who might be able to advise why the additional images don't show in the first place, so I can avoid updating all those products

...alternatively, does anybody know of a way that I can get zencart simply to bulk update the products without actually changing any information?

Many thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional image problem

Quote Originally Posted by AnglersCorner View Post
    Hi all,

Hope I am posting in the correct place, my apologies if not. I am still not entirely sure where things are meant to go here.
    I am hoping that somebody may have some insightful knowledge about zencart additional images that I am not aware of.

I am currently developing a new version of my employers website locally. I have copied the database, installed the latest version of zencart, upgraded the database etc... for the most part everything seems to be running fine. The one persistent problem I have is with the additional images.

All the images currently work fine on our live site http://www.anglerscorner.co.uk, they do not show on my local version (not without some hassle, this will be explained later).

I have read lots of instructions online about additional images before coming on here and tried lots of things, for example:
    • I have copied all my product images over to my local /images (all loose in here, as they have always been on my employers site).
    • Each product is named as a product number, ie '015689.jpg'. With additional images using 'a', 'b', etc. Example: '015689a.jpg', '015689b.jpg'. (Which is the same as the live site.)
    • 'Show product additional images' is set to '1'.
    • I have tried reverting back to the classic theme.
    • I read online somewhere that images should have a word in the name so I have tried renaming some images on my 'live' site to include 'ang' at the start, ie 'ang015689.jpg', 'ang015689a.jpg', 'ang015689b.jpg'. I then re-copied the database over to my local site and upgraded it, copied the new image files over with the new name but still they do not show.

I have noticed one strange thing. I noted a product with additional images down and looked it up in admin and went to it's 'product details' page. In the 'Products Image' section I tried writing the 'Image Name:' into the 'Or, select an existing image file from server, filename:' box (changing nothing, just re-writing it), I then clicked 'preview' and then 'update'.

When returning to the product on the site the additional images were now showing! ...I know this may appear like I have solved my own problem but this solution really isn't ideal as we would have to update thousands of products manually.

Are there any lovely zen guru's out there who might be able to advise why the additional images don't show in the first place, so I can avoid updating all those products

...alternatively, does anybody know of a way that I can get zencart simply to bulk update the products without actually changing any information?

Many thanks in advance
    To confirm my thought, if you look at the admin product page for one of the "problem" products, what image name is shown? Is it one of the "additional image" names? (ending with an additional letter/number before the prefix?)

As for "bulk" updating, there is a program called EasyPopulate v4 (it is found in the forums with a link to github as clear instructions have not been developed to post it as a plugin.) http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...t=easypopulate

The "problem" though is that every product must have a model number in order to bulk update using EP4.

Alternatively, if all of your filenames are the same length, you could use a SQL statement to update your database to have the same length with the extra letter removed... Or some variation of that.. Ie. if all of the original filenames end with a number and only additional images end with a letter, then a similar SQL statement could be run to update all of the filenames to exclude any letters after the last number.... Have to use one's noodle a little and perhaps look up the commands necessary to do that update, or perhaps someone that has a little more time to answer the question in detail could provide the solution. :)

As for why they aren't appearing? If the filenames are all the same, and the update process through the files of the ZC website are used without some third party program, then all of the images should remain the same and properly display.

It may be of assistance to identify from what version to what version the conversion has taken place and any other plugins that were installed on this local machine... (Please see the posting tips available when you scroll up from a new post.)
    Last edited by mc12345678; 5 Mar 2015 at 06:44 PM.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    To confirm my thought, if you look at the admin product page for one of the "problem" products, what image name is shown? Is it one of the "additional image" names? (ending with an additional letter/number before the prefix?)

As for "bulk" updating, there is a program called EasyPopulate v4 (it is found in the forums with a link to github as clear instructions have not been developed to post it as a plugin.) http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...t=easypopulate

The "problem" though is that every product must have a model number in order to bulk update using EP4.

Alternatively, if all of your filenames are the same length, you could use a SQL statement to update your database to have the same length with the extra letter removed... Or some variation of that.. Ie. if all of the original filenames end with a number and only additional images end with a letter, then a similar SQL statement could be run to update all of the filenames to exclude any letters after the last number.... Have to use one's noodle a little and perhaps look up the commands necessary to do that update, or perhaps someone that has a little more time to answer the question in detail could provide the solution. :)

As for why they aren't appearing? If the filenames are all the same, and the update process through the files of the ZC website are used without some third party program, then all of the images should remain the same and properly display.

It may be of assistance to identify from what version to what version the conversion has taken place and any other plugins that were installed on this local machine... (Please see the posting tips available when you scroll up from a new post.)

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It is very much appreciated.
    I have looked through the tips and tried to post some more information, just in the chance that something will stand out... fingers crossed!

Images

The images that show are the main ones. All main images have been named with an individual product number (for example 015612.jpg) and all additional images are named as the same product number with the addition of a letter.

Example:

PRODUCT 1:

015612.jpg
    015612a.jpg
    015612b.jpg

PRODUCT 2:

015613.jpg

PRODUCT 3:

015614.jpg
    015614a.jpg

Upgrading

In regards to the upgrade, the live site currently runs on 1.3.9f and with my local version I am trying to upgrade it to 1.5.4.

The new site has been created using a fresh install of zencart 1.5.4 and I have copied my live database and imported it through my local phpmyadmin. I then used the zencart installer (zc_install) to upgrade the database to the current version. I made no other changes through the installer, only upgraded the database.

This is the server info for the current live site:

Server Information for live site

Server Host: vps618.fastsecurehost.com (212.38.164.118)
    Server OS: Linux 2.6.32-504.3.3.el6.x86_64
    Server Date: 03/06/2015 09:47:22
    Server Up Time: 09:47:22 up 36 days, 16:04, 0 users, load average: 2.14, 2.42, 2.49
    PHP Version: 5.3.28 (Zend: 2.3.0) PHP Memory Limit: 128M
    PHP File Uploads: On Max Size: 80M
    Database Data Size: 28,066 kB

Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Database: MySQL 5.5.42-cll
    Database Date: 03/06/2015 09:47:22
    HTTP Server: Apache
    PHP Safe Mode: Off
    POST Max Size: 8M
    Database Index Size: 7,756 kB

Server Information for local site

Server Host: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    Server OS: Windows NT FIERCEPC 6.2 build 9200 (Windows 8 Home Premium Edition) i586
    Server Date: 03/06/2015 10:54:18
    Server Up Time: Unsupported
    PHP Version: 5.5.8 (Zend: 2.5.0) PHP Memory Limit: 128M
    PHP File Uploads: On Max Size: 2M
    Database Data Size: 21,314 kB

Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Database: MySQL 5.6.15-log
    Database Date: 03/06/2015 10:54:18
    HTTP Server: Apache/2.4.7 (Win32) PHP/5.5.8
    PHP Safe Mode: Off
    POST Max Size: 8M
    Database Index Size: 6,279 kB

Themes / Module

My website uses a theme called Robbo Green Responsive (you can see a demo here: http://demo.zen-cart-themes.com/inde...php?tpl=robbor), although the images do not show even when using the 'classic' theme so I do not think it will be related to the theme.

When investigating I noted that the live website used a module called 'magiczoomplus' on the images. I had hoped that if I installed this module on my new local site as well then my problem would be solved but sadly it has not been. I have been extremely careful when installing this module and it all works as it should, with the exception that the additional images do not show... without me having to manually type the same file name in as mentioned before. Please note as well that the additional images were not showing before and after its installation on both the Robbo Green Responsive theme and the Classic Theme.

Other modules I have installed are Snaf (grid layout for Specials, New Products, All Products & Featured Products), Cookie Control 1.4 and lastly Ceon uri mapping 4.5.0.
    All of these have been installed very cautiously and appear to perform their own individual operations as intended.

EasyPopulate v4

Thank you for suggesting this, it may be worth me taking a look at it. Would you happen to know if it can just bulk update products with the exact same information they have though? ....sorry I have no experience of this module and would be nice to know before trying it out.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, I try not to install modules unless I really really need to.

I hope the additional info above will give a bit more to go on. Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

So there may be something about database charactersets that is going on between the two databases/part of the upgrade. This may also explain why when the text is retyped and saved that it "comes out right".

As for EP4, the files are non-ntrusive to the ZC files (no overwrites, no overrides). A suggested use is in fact, export all product, make whatever change(s) desired, save the file, backup the database, upload to server (no special software needed), import to database... Did I say to backup before importing?

So in your case, maybe skip the make whatever change(s) desired part.

Still, in the case of all the text being there visually, but not "responding" properly makes me think character set related things and that the mysql database converter possibly should be used..
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi, sorry it has been a while in responding. My employer has had me working on some other things recently and didn't have time to come back to this.

Once again thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated. I figured as well that it had to be a database issue, but my experience with mysql and even phpmyadmin is quite limited so I wouldn't really know how to resolve the issue on that side of things.

My next step will definitely be to try 'easy populate' and your recommendation of exporting and importing the products.

I just wanted to clarify something, you mention 'and that the mysql database converter possibly should be used.. ' at the end of your last paragraph. Am I correct in assuming this another feature provided by easy populate or were you refering to something withing phpmyadmin/mysql etc?

I apologise if this is a stupid question