Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Is it this easy to create templates?

Hello Everyone!

I am new to Zencart and this forum. I hope everyone is doing fine.

I want to create custom Zencart templates to give away and some to sell and I wanted to see if I had the process right:

1.) I create the design in Photoshop, slice and export it
    2.) I code the website in my html editor
    3.) Then I simply follow these instructions: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template

Is that really all or is there something else?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it this easy to create templates?

No.
    No.
    No.

Zencart is a database-driven PHP program, and contains few, if any, static HTML pages.

The best way to learn to style Zencart is to download some of the free templates from the Plugin area and see how their authors did what they did.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    No.
    No.
    No.

Zencart is a database-driven PHP program, and contains few, if any, static HTML pages.

The best way to learn to style Zencart is to download some of the free templates from the Plugin area and see how their authors did what they did.
    Hi Stevesh and thanks for your reply. I really wanted to know mostly about my Photoshop images and the CSS that I create. I apologize for not making this clear earlier. I have no intention of putting the HTML files anywhere near the Zencart template.

Right now I am studying hard how to get these png or jpeg images into Zencart and then add the CSS to the appropriate Zencart folder. Am I a little closer or am I way off base again.

Plugin Contributions

I don't know where you want these images to appear. Again, take a look at another template (or the Classic Zencart template) using a Firefox tool like Web Developer or Firebug to see how the pages are built. CSS stylesheets go in the current template's css folder. Stylesheets are preferable to inline CSS, I think.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I don't know where you want these images to appear. Again, take a look at another template (or the Classic Zencart template) using a Firefox tool like Web Developer or Firebug to see how the pages are built. CSS stylesheets go in the current template's css folder. Stylesheets are preferable to inline CSS, I think.
    Okay. I'll try that. Thanks for your advice.

Plugin Contributions

To add to stevesh answer:

The "html" markup is already there for you, with all the css classes, and ids already in the code, some are styled (css folder of the template), and some are there for further customization if needed, all you have to do is add them to your stylesheet. And you can do a lot just with that.

If you need to push it more you then need to rearrange the pieces of code (template files), and add your css in the code as well.

Like stevesh said you need to know the structure, and files that make up the page, and only way to do it is to take a look at the files. And if you know php then you can do "magic".

As for the photoshop file, it should only be your guide as to what you want to achieve, and of course insert some graphic here, and there.

Plugin Contributions

If you wanted to create your own template from scratch then simply copy the directory includes/templates/template_default and all it's subdirectories to another folder. Then rename the copied template_default to the name of your template (eg mybeautifultemplate).

Modify your css etc etc, add your images to the image folder contained in your copied template_default (buttons etc etc)

Don't forget to open and modify the file includes/templates/template_default/template_info.php (do not rename the file though...)

If you wanted a mobile friendly template look for DIY responsive template in the Plugins section of this and apply your modifications.

In either case retain the directory structure.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by frank18 View Post
    If you wanted to create your own template from scratch then simply copy the directory includes/templates/template_default and all it's subdirectories to another folder. Then rename the copied template_default to the name of your template (eg mybeautifultemplate).

Modify your css etc etc, add your images to the image folder contained in your copied template_default (buttons etc etc)

Don't forget to open and modify the file includes/templates/template_default/template_info.php (do not rename the file though...)

If you wanted a mobile friendly template look for DIY responsive template in the Plugins section of this and apply your modifications.

In either case retain the directory structure.
    What folder would you copy directory includes/templates/template_default and all it's subdirectories to? I would like to make my own template from scratch

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by XxMousiexX View Post
    What folder would you copy directory includes/templates/template_default and all it's subdirectories to? I would like to make my own template from scratch
    Short answer is templates/YOUR_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE/

Full, and correct answer is here
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by keneso View Post
    Short answer is templates/YOUR_CUSTOM_TEMPLATE/

Full, and correct answer is here
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template
    Yep that's it! Have fun tweaking your stylesheet etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast