Plugin Contributions

Default Express vs Standard question

Hello All,

I know this site leans toward using PayPal Express.....I got that.

I just got off the phone with PayPal. I've had an account for my site for years and couldn't remember if the API was for PayPal Standard or Express. As it turns out my old API was for PayPal Standard.

In order to use PayPal Express you need a different API #. Not a problem and you can have different API numbers for each type of account if you choose to.

But, here's what I thought interesting; the PayPal rep told me that with Express the customer is "forced" to open a PayPal account if they don't already have one whereas with PayPal Standard they can choose to use their credit card OR their PayPal account.

I read here that the reason for the Express 'favorite status' has something to do with servers talking back and forth. I absolutely HATE being forced to sign up to this type of account and will NOT do so if I can find an alternative.

So, I am wondering if anyone has gotten any feedback from a customer who just doesn't want to open a PP account and balks at being forced to do so?

Thanks

MM

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Express vs Standard question

Far as I know, Paypal Express does not require a Paypal account, though I remember a thread here where one Zenner advised that it does after a certain number of a particular user's transactions.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post

But, here's what I thought interesting; the PayPal rep told me that with Express the customer is "forced" to open a PayPal account if they don't already have one whereas with PayPal Standard they can choose to use their credit card OR their PayPal account.

I read here that the reason for the Express 'favorite status' has something to do with servers talking back and forth. I absolutely HATE being forced to sign up to this type of account and will NOT do so if I can find an alternative.

So, I am wondering if anyone has gotten any feedback from a customer who just doesn't want to open a PP account and balks at being forced to do so?

Thanks

MM
    Yep, Our account manager told us that on the 10th or 11th use of an email address, a PPaccount creation IS required. Also, ANY purchase over $2799.99 requires a PP account to be created. PP has verified that to us on multiple occasions & acknowledged that being a frequent complaint. I do understand the PP logic for the requirement.

Some people do HATE PP and refuse to create an account. That is why we also use Auth.net SIM.

We switched from auth.net AIM due to the v3 PCI implementation being much more difficult to comply.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    That is why we also use Auth.net SIM.

We switched from auth.net AIM due to the v3 PCI implementation being much more difficult to comply.
    OK....I'm confused.... what's the difference between "Auth.net SIM" and "auth.net AIM"?

Are they PayPal related....?

Plugin Contributions

Hello All,

I know this site leans toward using PayPal Express.....I got that.

I just got off the phone with PayPal. I've had an account for my site for years and couldn't remember if the API was for PayPal Standard or Express. As it turns out my old API was for PayPal Standard.

In order to use PayPal Express you need a different API #. Not a problem and you can have different API numbers for each type of account if you choose to.

Thanks

MM
    Fwiw, I just went to my site with a mobile device, added a product and selected paypal express and was offered to use my paypal account or to pay with a credit card. Of course, so far into the process paypal doesn't know if I have made a purchase once or 20 times, but the option to purchase with a credit card without a paypal account at least was presented.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

OK....I'm confused.... what's the difference between "Auth.net SIM" and "auth.net AIM"?

Are they PayPal related....?
    Sorry. Auth.net is a traditional merchant account for cc processing. Used by customers who go out of their way their a lid paypal.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    Sorry. Auth.net is a traditional merchant account for cc processing. Used by customers who go out of their way their a lid paypal.

Ahhh...OK....thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Fwiw, I just went to my site with a mobile device, added a product and selected paypal express and was offered to use my paypal account or to pay with a credit card. Of course, so far into the process paypal doesn't know if I have made a purchase once or 20 times, but the option to purchase with a credit card without a paypal account at least was presented.
    Interesting....I guess that verifies the thought that after several orders is when you're forced to open an account.....

BTW......I hate to hijack my own thread.... but your comment on a mobile device got me thinking..... Does your site have a mod/plugin of some sort to make it more user friendly for mobile devices? I know there are some programs that you can add to ZC to help with that....But I was wondering if, once you add a CUSTOM template, you can also add the mobile friendly plugin.....?