Plugin Contributions

Default Whether to Install in Domain or Sub-directory

Hi. I prefer to have my store appear as soon as someone types my website address but I have a concern about installing Zen Cart in my doman. Would it make it harder for me to reinstall Zen Cart or restore a back-up version if I install Zen Cart in my domain (assuming I need to locate and delete the Zen Cart files first and there are other non-Zen Cart files in my domain (i.e. those that come along with my domain which should not be removed))? Or I can just easily uninstall Zen Cart without having to manually remove any files?

Are there any other factors I should consider when deciding whether to install Zen Cart in my domain or a sub-directory? Any disadvantages of installing Zen Cart in my domain and installing it in a sub-directory?

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Whether to Install in Domain or Sub-directory

I always recommend installing Zencart in the top domain directory. There seems to be some advantage to installing in a subdirectory when it comes to upgrading (which I'll admit I've never understood), but I think your store belongs in the top directory.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I always recommend installing Zencart in the top domain directory. There seems to be some advantage to installing in a subdirectory when it comes to upgrading (which I'll admit I've never understood), but I think your store belongs in the top directory.
    The top domain directory on some managed servers is a mess of files, folders and other unrelated distractions. So installing into a directory keeps the Zen Cart file set 'clean'.

There is also the matter of using the server for more than just a ZC install... keep your store in /store, keep your blog in /blog then then each type of website can remain contained.
    Last edited by twitchtoo; 12 Apr 2015 at 08:39 PM.
    Twitch.
    https://www.twitchtoo.com Do you work for free? Please donate.
    Twitch Base8 - Obsidian - This, is what's new.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by twitchtoo View Post

There is also the matter of using the server for more than just a ZC install... keep your store in /store, keep your blog in /blog then then each type of website can remain contained.
    Good point, but I'm thinking that, considering how cheap domain registration and basic hosting are, and considering how insecure most blog (in your example) platforms can be, separating your Zencart installation into its own domain seems prudent to me.