Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

customer issue New reinstall, sessions seem to last a random amount of time

Hi all,

My inventory was an organizational mess, and then my database went screwy, so I decided to just do the whole thing fresh with the latest Zencart 1.5.4.

I haven't installed any add-ons, and everything seems to have gone smoothly. My only problem is that sessions, both for admin and for customers, last a seemingly random amount of time. Sometimes I have to login twice in a row to my Admin control panel. I have done plenty of searching and tried the common suggested fixes. At the moment, I'm testing with Recreate Sessions set to False. I'll update here if that makes a difference.

I'm running on an openSUSE Linux 13.2 box, fully up-to-date. I do my own DNS, and the store doesn't use a leading www. hostname (though it is aliased). I don't have any other Zencart installations on this server, but I run a dozen or so different sites without issue using the current config.

Everything else seems to be working great, and I've tried to do everything the "right way" this time, without adding third-party code. I don't know what else to try.

Any help or additional suggestions is very much appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New reinstall, sessions seem to last a random amount of time

Sorry, I tried to find a way to edit my existing post, but I didn't see any.

I still get randomly logged out even with Recreate Session disabled. It's so unpredictable, too. Last night, I listed four items in one login session, and then I had to log in six times in the middle of listing the next two items.

Plugin Contributions

so I decided to just do the whole thing fresh with the latest Zencart 1.5.4.
    You did not provide your server versions of:
    apache
    php
    mysql
    etc
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

With regards to logging into the admin screen twice, that can happen if one has logged out to goto the aadmin login screen and then not taken any action while on that screen before the session timeout occurs. Then once the session timeout occurs, the initial attempt to login causes a page reload and session restart, the second attempt should return the admin into the admin area.

That said, seems there is something else going on that is kicking you out after login and before the session timeout.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    You did not provide your server versions of:
    apache
    php
    mysql
    etc
    Oops, that was pretty amateur of me.

BIND 9.9.5
    Apache 2.4.10
    PHP 5.6.1
    MariaDB 10.0.13
    Linux Kernel 3.16.7

I think the only non-standard setting in my .conf files is "auto_detect_line_endings = Off".

Here's another detail. In the past, I used an automatic tab reload script to keep myself logged in. Many times, it would take me longer than 15 minutes to create a new listing, because of the amount of detail I would add. Instead of letting it boot me out as soon as I finish all that work, I would have a tab-reload add-on for Firefox keep reloading the main admin page every 10 minutes. Now, it doesn't matter if I have it reload every 30 seconds.

I'm seriously considering building yet another web server on another whole new box, using one of the more common setups like Ubuntu, and just forcing myself to be on the same page as everyone else. It probably wouldn't help discover the cause of the issue, and it would be a lot of extra work, but at least then my store would be fully functional.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Plugin Contributions

I think I've found another characteristic. If I stay active in one single browser tab, I seem to have a 15 minute timeout. This doesn't seem to make much sense, since I can log in on one tab and then browse around on the other tabs.

I've now had this same issue twice. Has anyone else heard of this? There must be something strange that I don't see about my current setup.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't even had a single sale, though I've had about 10k visits. I used to average a couple sales a day. I tested and confirm that the checkout system works, but it keeps losing sessions, so I honestly don't know if people are just getting frustrated and leaving.

I'm considering just putting the store back in maintenance mode, because I really can't think what else it might be.

Plugin Contributions

1) How about a link to your site so we can see the behaviour for ourselves, if its live that is just in case we spot something you may not have
    2) What are your settings regarding cookies
    3) Are you still using the default "classic" template or do you have your own template installed, if so does this issue still happen if you switch back to the classic?
    4) have you tried in another browser eg Firefox instead of Chrome
    5) Do you have SSL installed?
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've just been running around putting out fires everywhere.

1) Sure, the site is www.laptopcrap.com and it's currently live. I left it live for now, though I still haven't sold anything. I tested going through the checkout process, up to the last step, and it's possible to buy items. The main place where this is frustrating is entering new items into the inventory, and as anyone who watches the numbers knows, the more items you have, the more traffic you get (and not just spiders).

2) The only thing I changed regarding cookies was in the Admin -> Configuration -> Sessions. I tried several combinations of "Force Cookie Use", "Recreate Sessions", and "Add Period Prefix". None seemed to affect the behavior at all.

Because of the amount of work involved, I haven't tried a lot of different versions / server configurations, but it seems that Zencart 1.3.9 works perfectly on my server. I have an old (mostly broken) site running on that version, and aside from LOTS of white pages with no PHP errors, it will stay logged in as expected.

3) I'm still using the Classic Contemporary Green template.

4) I can reproduce the random logout problem in Chrome, Firefox, and IE. On a related note, I use the site on Linux and Windows XP and 7 computers. I have old, well-used installs of OS's, as well as brand new (literally brand new) computers that have the same issue.

5) I'm not using SSL.

Does anybody know if I can use the existing database on version 1.3.9? Also, it was a buggy mess that seemed to get worse the more products I listed, but I never did figure out if that was because of the very old server it was running on. It would give blank pages very often, and it never produced any PHP messages with logging enabled and error messages visible. Was that something wrong with the 1.3.x series, or was it just my old old server? I'm open to wild guesses at this point, as I absolutely *hate* to use eBay for anything, and I insist on making an open-source solution work.

Thank you again.

Plugin Contributions

Does anybody know if I can use the existing database on version 1.3.9
    If you mean the DB for ZenCart 1.5.4 - - then NO it is not backward compatible
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast