Plugin Contributions

Default Working in Plugin while maintaining existing site

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not so sorry if it's not.

This is the first plugin I've tried on my site and I'm having trouble because of it taking over the domain before I'm ready for it. I'd like to be able to add the plugin to my godaddy site and start building my store while maintaining my existing site but I can't find an option to disable Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Working in Plugin while maintaining existing site

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescoutdjb View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not so sorry if it's not.

This is the first plugin I've tried on my site and I'm having trouble because of it taking over the domain before I'm ready for it. I'd like to be able to add the plugin to my godaddy site and start building my store while maintaining my existing site but I can't find an option to disable Zen Cart.
    Welcome to Zen Cart. One thing about posting is trying to explain the situation as best as possible and to try to use terminology consistent with the program.

Considering that this is your first post and that ZC version 1.5.1 has been installed, it would appear that ZC was installed at your host using an auto-installer and that that is partially why ZC has "taken over" your site...

There are a number of ways to begin development of your ZC site while maintaining your existing site... These are covered in the FAQ as well as the documentation provided in a fresh download from the ZC site. Because you are just starting off with ZC, it would be suggested to use the latest version instead of 1.5.1 which is already three years old. A fresh copy is available at http://www.zen-cart.com/getit

From that point, you could install into a subdirectory (that then is referenced by a sub-domain) or maybe on a local computer... Regardless, in essence you have two sites hosted in the same space at the moment and probably have something either in the cPanel or .htaccess that is forcing index.php to be accessed before index.html or whatever your "other site" uses to display the landing page.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Working in Plugin while maintaining existing site

Thanks, I'll check into getting a newer version and installing it into a folder so that I can maintain the existing site. I saw as soon as I created an account for the forum that there is a newer version, I only installed 1.5.1 because it was the version in the godaddy app store.