Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question regarding install

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    Yes, because if Zen Cart cannot write to the folder it cannot create debug / error logs. So if something does break (or an error occurs), you will not get any logs. The log files are vital to help narrow down causes if something does go awry (hopefully it never does).

I recommend my clients check for the presence of debug logs a semi-regular basis (or I check these if the client has a maintenance contract). Why? Because many customers may never report an issue if it occurs; Instead they just go shop somewhere else. The presence of a log is not guaranteed for all errors, but if one is present something usually needs to be fixed / updated. So this helps identify potential issues w/o waiting for a customer to report an issue.

So yeah, I would change the Zen Cart log folder as soon as possible to another location (for example "zc-logs"). Just create the folder, set the appropriate permissions, and add the files from the Zen Cart distribution's "logs" folder. Then configure Zen Cart to use the new location by altering "DIR_FS_LOGS" in the configure.php files (both - should be full path w/o tailing slash).
    Thank you for the explanation, I already created the zc_logs folder on one of the sites I am working on now, will create the folder on the other site and set permission to 777 correct?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dfontana View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, I already created the zc_logs folder on one of the sites I am working on now, will create the folder on the other site and set permission to 777 correct?
    Only the hosting provider can provide a definitive answer.
    The answer will depend on how the hosting provider has configured the server. I would ask the hosting provider "If I need a folder to be writable by PHP (and me via FTP or a control panel), what permissions do I need to set on the folder?".
    Last edited by lhungil; 30 Apr 2015 at 11:32 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dfontana View Post
    If appears the host chose the latter from what I can see, as I already have Zen-Car installed, may try and move the Zen-Cart log to another folder and change the config files.

Thanks for the info, but out of curiosity, if I leave the log folder where it is with current permission does that pose a problem? I will try and move the folder later.
    took your advice done

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12