Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Anybody Using Free Responsive Template Successfully?

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post
    I have a mac that can do many sizes of screen res plus a pc that is that same and truthfully I have issues however she has IE (not sure of version) FF latest version and Chrome....and yet she sees things much differently. She does prefer to use the screen res of 1024x768 and sees things much different when viewing the test store.

I'm using IE11 and 100% View and Medium fonts. That is just what I happen to prefer. When I click on the link you provided for the store test, http://storetest.designerperfumesnob.com it displayed at 75% and the top sidebox: "Shop By Designer," has several of the designers names hidden. It looks as if the box is too narrow to display the entire box.

On FF, using the link you provided, it opened up at 80% and it also has the designers names partially hidden.

I'm not sure why using your link the test store displayed at those percentages rather than full screen. Using the lesser percentage makes the page display so much better, (but there are still some problems), but if the store were live, would the visitor see it at 80% or more likely whatever they had their view set? If that were true, then I am forcing them to change their view percentage in order to see the site better. I don't have to do that for the demo. I can view it at full screen 100% and it looks perfect, while the test store has huge fonts at that view.

I'm simply trying to present the store as the demo is - with no need for the visitor to have to work at getting it to look right.
    I visited your site and it affected my ff search. Closed your site and ff search returned to normal. Anyone else experience this.

Plugin Contributions

affect your FF search in what way, details please cause I don't think it is a template issue, nobody else has experienced it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    affect your FF search in what way, details please cause I don't think it is a template issue, nobody else has experienced it.
    The search box next to the address bar in ff. Input keywords, clicked search, and nothing happened. Was able to do other things google, like login/off gmail, surf other pages, but could not use the ff search. Problem only went away when website page was closed. Tried again today with very much same pages loaded and encountered no problems, so must have been temporary glitch.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post
    If I am using this template as a 2 column layout, can the total sum of the width be used as I pleased? If not, say the left sidebox width remained untouched, so then could the center column width be as wide as the center column + 3rd column?

Using 2 columns, I of course have to change the width of the center column or there is just a blank space running down the right hand side of the page. If doing this broke the responsiveness, what would be the correct way to arrange for a 2 column layout?

Thank you~
    ACTIVATE Responsive Template by selecting Column Widths 2
    In Layout settings: Column Right Status - Global 0
    That's all.
    Do NOT change the size of the center column!
    Look at the recent posts in the Responsive Sheffield Blue thread.

Thanks,

jpda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jpda View Post
    ACTIVATE Responsive Template by selecting Column Widths 2
    In Layout settings: Column Right Status - Global 0
    That's all.
    Do NOT change the size of the center column!
    Look at the recent posts in the Responsive Sheffield Blue thread.

Thanks,

jpda
    Thanks jpda. It looks like I messed it up when I tried to make the center column the width of the 2nd and 3rd column combined:) I like the Responsive Sheffield Blue!

Plugin Contributions

There are several tips and tricks to succesfully implementing a responsive template, and having a good grasp of css is an absolute requirement. Search the internet for a normalise.css file to understand its use.

The best place to start wit responsive is to apply Rbarbours DIY v1 mod to the default template, which will cover the basic structural changes. For me, because I had already revamped the original zencart layout to be mostly fluid (%'s and em's) rather than fixed (px), adding the DIY code was relatively simple, requiring only a few alterations of code that took less than an hour to fully implement, much to my joy (IIRC). For the body tag, I set width:100%; before max-width:1200px, followed by margin:0em; and padding:0em;.

The bulk of the work is css and it is important to differentiate between structural css and fancy css. The former should be loaded first and in order of general layout and then emphasis on getting the main content and navigation to display, since this is what customers want to focus upon first. The fancy css should follow lastly and be arranged in groups for easy editing, into components of text, lists, forms, etc. Only when the css is right should you consider minifying it. It pays to deconstruct each individual css file and to reassemble them with all attributes pertaining to a tag listed under that tag, which will reduce you having to bounce around inside of a css file to find the full workings of a tag. I copy the css into a spreadsheet to do this, making sure that the original order of each line is preserved.

My experience with free responsive templates is that the fileset only really extends to a few pages, meaning that a considerable amount of work, both structural and fancy, has to be done to bring all pages into line. Included in this work is unminifying and redoing a lot of css and some hefty structural changes (eg product listings). I have given up trying to work out css that is not well ordered or overtly complicated, and I have deconstructed a few to know the misery they can cause.

But then what you dont want in a free responsive template is one that messes too much with the default code of individual files, since this is what many mods are based on.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    The search box next to the address bar in ff. Input keywords, clicked search, and nothing happened. Was able to do other things google, like login/off gmail, surf other pages, but could not use the ff search. Problem only went away when website page was closed. Tried again today with very much same pages loaded and encountered no problems, so must have been temporary glitch.
    thanks for letting me know...glad it was a glitch and a test store. I am near bald with this problem so I guess it does not like my store or viceversa...LOL My live store is alive ya know and has a will of its own so if the test stores give issues it will be ten fold in live one.

have a great day.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dw08gm View Post
    There are several tips and tricks to succesfully implementing a responsive template, and having a good grasp of css is an absolute requirement. Search the internet for a normalise.css file to understand its use.

The best place to start wit responsive is to apply Rbarbours DIY v1 mod to the default template, which will cover the basic structural changes. For me, because I had already revamped the original zencart layout to be mostly fluid (%'s and em's) rather than fixed (px), adding the DIY code was relatively simple, requiring only a few alterations of code that took less than an hour to fully implement, much to my joy (IIRC). For the body tag, I set width:100%; before max-width:1200px, followed by margin:0em; and padding:0em;.

The bulk of the work is css and it is important to differentiate between structural css and fancy css. The former should be loaded first and in order of general layout and then emphasis on getting the main content and navigation to display, since this is what customers want to focus upon first. The fancy css should follow lastly and be arranged in groups for easy editing, into components of text, lists, forms, etc. Only when the css is right should you consider minifying it. It pays to deconstruct each individual css file and to reassemble them with all attributes pertaining to a tag listed under that tag, which will reduce you having to bounce around inside of a css file to find the full workings of a tag. I copy the css into a spreadsheet to do this, making sure that the original order of each line is preserved.

My experience with free responsive templates is that the fileset only really extends to a few pages, meaning that a considerable amount of work, both structural and fancy, has to be done to bring all pages into line. Included in this work is unminifying and redoing a lot of css and some hefty structural changes (eg product listings). I have given up trying to work out css that is not well ordered or overtly complicated, and I have deconstructed a few to know the misery they can cause.

But then what you dont want in a free responsive template is one that messes too much with the default code of individual files, since this is what many mods are based on.
    Lots of information that proves to me I need to use someone else's templates. LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123