Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Anybody Using Free Responsive Template Successfully?

ok guys, here I am too, this is a test store she has it on, thank god not her live one. 1.5.4, fresh install out of box so to speak.....the only template installed aside from default that come with cart is All Business.

The only changes to the store is colors changes, text transfers from her live store files to the test store files and all in override folders so nothing on core files are touched....except the ones that were indicated by the installer for this template.

I have a mac that can do many sizes of screen res plus a pc that is that same and truthfully I have issues however she has IE (not sure of version) FF latest version and Chrome....and yet she sees things much differently. She does prefer to use the screen res of 1024x768 and sees things much different when viewiing the test store.

I have my Motorola X Second Gen and that is the one where I myself visited the test store in. The template does act responsive but the first batch of links only have 2 that work . There are 7 link blocks at the top under the logo/tag line:

shopping Cart < loops back to HOME
    Shopping < loops back to HOME
    Quick Links < just hilights but does nothing
    Information <same as above
    Search < loops back to HOME
    Contact Me---- works by putting contact form at bottom of screen

Now personally I do not like responsive ones either and if they are needed i wish there was someone to make on that when the media is detected to be used on a phone or something like that --- then it would auto switch to the proper template and not have to be visible all the darn time.

I have a test store of my own also fresh install and only winchester_black installed (my live store is black so thought yay thisone is perfect and needs only color changes...yeah right. It is not behaving and have not delved into it more since I a trying to get hers to work. If I recall it did not let me add the sideboxes...not even the default ones.

Not sure if she gave you her test link but here it is: http://storetest.designerperfumesnob.com
    mine is: http://fantasiesrealm.com/market3/index.php

We as users, should not be expected to just fiddle with the responsive.css cause we could ruin things more than they already are. I know enough that if even a little is messed up it loses its responsiveness.

I appreciate any and all assistance. I am not the worlds greatest coder but if told what I need to fix/where/how I can usually make it so. My 62 year old brain is total mush lately with this template and the other one. I also know since I run a store and tell my creators this all the time, when they get frustrated with "fixes" needed to their products, and I hear that it is "only a freebie". I tell them that yes it may be a freebie, but it also reflects on them and their work, if people have problems with the free items will they really want to try something that is paid for item? With the thought in the back of their minds that will it not work right either.

I appreciate all the work it takes to make these things that we do not know how to do so but supporting the free like the paid is supported is not really much to ask....IMHO

Plugin Contributions

I have a mac that can do many sizes of screen res plus a pc that is that same and truthfully I have issues however she has IE (not sure of version) FF latest version and Chrome....and yet she sees things much differently. She does prefer to use the screen res of 1024x768 and sees things much different when viewing the test store.

I'm using IE11 and 100% View and Medium fonts. That is just what I happen to prefer. When I click on the link you provided for the store test, http://storetest.designerperfumesnob.com it displayed at 75% and the top sidebox: "Shop By Designer," has several of the designers names hidden. It looks as if the box is too narrow to display the entire box.

On FF, using the link you provided, it opened up at 80% and it also has the designers names partially hidden.

I'm not sure why using your link the test store displayed at those percentages rather than full screen. Using the lesser percentage makes the page display so much better, (but there are still some problems), but if the store were live, would the visitor see it at 80% or more likely whatever they had their view set? If that were true, then I am forcing them to change their view percentage in order to see the site better. I don't have to do that for the demo. I can view it at full screen 100% and it looks perfect, while the test store has huge fonts at that view.

I'm simply trying to present the store as the demo is - with no need for the visitor to have to work at getting it to look right.

Plugin Contributions

I am not sure what you mean however, I hardly ever use full screen and still see everything as it should be. The screenshot shows you that even without it being full screen it looks proper on my 1680x1050 screen

Click HERE to see the image since it still won't let me delete nor upload attachments

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    I am not sure what you mean however, I hardly ever use full screen and still see everything as it should be. The screenshot shows you that even without it being full screen it looks proper on my 1680x1050 screen

Click HERE to see the image since it still won't let me delete nor upload attachments
    The thing I am most concerned about is if the visitors will see it perfect like the demo, or with names hidden in the top sidebox, as I do. If I were the ONLY person that saw it misbehave, I can live with that. I am not convinced I am the only one.

Is there anyone that can check out the test store http://storetest.designerperfumesnob.com in 1024 x 768 and see if you have any issues? Since I was told by the designer of this template that it had issues in different devices, I am guessing others will see it as I do and be forced to change their settings, or worse, click off and shop at a friendlier site.

Thank you so much.

Plugin Contributions

@traytray

storetest displays fine on my screen (1280x1024) I changed it to 1024x768 and it's fine.
    On my mobile LG dropdown menu not working.

@DarkAngel

market3 displays fine, and on mobile dropdown works fine, but both in desktop, and mobile all links get error:
    warning an error occured please refresh, and try again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post
    The thing I am most concerned about is if the visitors will see it perfect like the demo, or with names hidden in the top sidebox, as I do. If I were the ONLY person that saw it misbehave, I can live with that. I am not convinced I am the only one.

Is there anyone that can check out the test store http://storetest.designerperfumesnob.com in 1024 x 768 and see if you have any issues? Since I was told by the designer of this template that it had issues in different devices, I am guessing others will see it as I do and be forced to change their settings, or worse, click off and shop at a friendlier site.

Thank you so much.
    I have actually posted exactly the same advice in the template support thread, but since you feel it necessary to start another thread about this I will post again.

The Responsive All Business package was built using the first version of the DIY template default. This version relied solely on media queries for the responsive layout. The newer templates, Westminster New, Winchester Responsive, and Winchester Black are built using the latest version of the DIY template default. This version is more advanced, and yes, better than the first version because it uses google's php mobile detect script to serve up optimized layouts based on user agents. I would strongly recommend switching to one of these more recently updated template packages.

As with any of my newest responsive template packages, if you want to view the mobile layout using a desktop and an emulator you should use a link like this:

your domain name .com/inindex.php?main_page=index&display_mode=isMobile

If you want to view the tablet layout using a desktop and an emulator you should use a link like this:

your domain name .com/inindex.php?main_page=index&display_mode=isTablet

And use this to switch back to a desktop when you are finished:

your domain name .com/inindex.php?main_page=index&display_mode=isDesktop

I also want to mention that out of the box, there is nothing wrong with the Responsive All Business layout on various screen sizes.

http://durl.me/8rr9qd

Looking at your site, it is obvious that you have made changes that have broken the layout:

http://durl.me/8rr9vh

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by traytray View Post

Thank you so much.

Most of this discussion would be better addressed if in the template support thread.
    Anne knows more about the template than all of us combined.

1024x768: Looks OK
    768x1024: Looks fouled up

While I have not perused the README to see how setup differs from other templates, something you have done has affected the responsive design. The sidebox layout appears to be different than the demo. Sidebox width appears to be different. Something doesn't seem right with the centerbox settings.

Did you setup the template per the instructions so that it appeared EXACTLY like the demo before you started tweaking things? Or did you make tweaks and now expect it to function like the demo?

Does your column width setup differ from the demo settings?

Turning nearly ALL of the "Show Box @ min-width" to OFF will help on mobile device presentations.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by keneso View Post
    @traytray

@DarkAngel

market3 displays fine, and on mobile dropdown works fine, but both in desktop, and mobile all links get error:
    warning an error occured please refresh, and try again.
    That's it, still no idea why either...but I will reinstall everything from scratch much later to see, thanks for looking.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post

Most of this discussion would be better addressed if in the template support thread.
    Anne knows more about the template than all of us combined.

1024x768: Looks OK
    768x1024: Looks fouled up

While I have not perused the README to see how setup differs from other templates, something you have done has affected the responsive design. The sidebox layout appears to be different than the demo. Sidebox width appears to be different. Something doesn't seem right with the centerbox settings.
    and yet aside from the links not working that I mentioned I do not see the problems she sees, werid.

Did you setup the template per the instructions so that it appeared EXACTLY like the demo before you started tweaking things? Or did you make tweaks and now expect it to function like the demo?

Does your column width setup differ from the demo settings?

Turning nearly ALL of the "Show Box @ min-width" to OFF will help on mobile device presentations.
    when it was installed it appeared with small looking fonts, she wanted them a bit larger and it has been either they go too large or too small...that has since been straightened out.

Everything else was like the demo except the database info to get the products inserted to check those things out. I did the store software from a fresh clean install of 1.5.4 and not a copy of her store/db then just upgraded with new files....which is the way it was instructed on how to here in forum.

I removed the 3rd column per owner request, set the "show box" to the size it is thinking that is what we were supposed to do.

as far as I can remember the sizes are the same save the space between the image to its border...just a few pixels added to equalize the white space...in stylesheet.

I even went so far as to segregate what i edited in stylesheet into a section labeled as my edits to ensure ease of finding what was edited from original then be ale to put it back via copy/paste from the original.

If need be I will reinstall the entire test store with original db from installation to see it it behaves then HOWEVER,

to those of us NOT accustomed to these newer templates with responsiveness capabilities there should be better instructions for installation since they are not like the others with just upload files and install sql. We need to know what we should turn on/off in order to not break it.

If it is supposed to use 3 columns to make sure it is not messed up if we prefer to turn one off globally. Why is the responsive.css there too, what can/can't be changed, for instance.

Not trying to be difficult here, just an ignorant old woman trying to keep up/understand new stuff.

Plugin Contributions

If I am using this template as a 2 column layout, can the total sum of the width be used as I pleased? If not, say the left sidebox width remained untouched, so then could the center column width be as wide as the center column + 3rd column?

Using 2 columns, I of course have to change the width of the center column or there is just a blank space running down the right hand side of the page. If doing this broke the responsiveness, what would be the correct way to arrange for a 2 column layout?

Thank you~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast