Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Connection to Database failed

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    What happens if you comment out the multi-site includes line? (Preface with //)

And only long enough to test the upgrade.
    I tried that already - and have just tried again to be sure. Makes no difference.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by royaldave View Post
    I tried that already - and have just tried again to be sure. Makes no difference.
    What about the capitlization used on the database name? I thought I "recently" saw something about the naming convention of DBs, but can not recall if there was a problem with using caps in the name. So one asks, but it works in the store. This doesn't mean that the upgrade process respects it.

The other thought is what other changes have been made to the live store as compared to a vanilla install?

Lastly a "quick fix" to do the upgrade blind to the reason would be to setup a new set of files with the database information pointing to that of the live site and then do the update on that "site"...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

What about the capitlization used on the database name? I thought I "recently" saw something about the naming convention of DBs, but can not recall if there was a problem with using caps in the name. So one asks, but it works in the store. This doesn't mean that the upgrade process respects it.

The other thought is what other changes have been made to the live store as compared to a vanilla install?

Lastly a "quick fix" to do the upgrade blind to the reason would be to setup a new set of files with the database information pointing to that of the live site and then do the update on that "site"...
    The caps thing is interesting because apparently on a Windows server its not case-sensitive like linux - don't know why that would be an issue here but you never know...

Is renaming the DB a big deal - do you just rename it in phpadmin then change your config files? I may give it a go.

I have successfully run a database upgrade within my WAMP environment so I can't point the finger at other changes I may have made.

This is where I may be headed. Backup the live DB, import it into my WAMP, run the upgrade there, then drop the live tables and import the data from my 'development area' back into live. I just hate the thought of dropping my live tables - it scares me.

Plugin Contributions

The caps thing is interesting because apparently on a Windows server its not case-sensitive like linux - don't know why that would be an issue here but you never know...

Is renaming the DB a big deal - do you just rename it in phpadmin then change your config files? I may give it a go.

I have successfully run a database upgrade within my WAMP environment so I can't point the finger at other changes I may have made.

This is where I may be headed. Backup the live DB, import it into my WAMP, run the upgrade there, then drop the live tables and import the data from my 'development area' back into live. I just hate the thought of dropping my live tables - it scares me.
    I looked again at the mysql database naming conventions and found that the capitalization is not an issue with unquoted databases. The previous person helped had used a space in their database. Naming convention and thus was having issues.

I have seen another case in the past similar to this one though with different conditions. My suggestion to prevent any issues with passwords would be to do the newsite/upgrade from the existing host and environment. That way there is no dropping of tables.

Backup of course.

Plugin Contributions

I looked again at the mysql database naming conventions and found that the capitalization is not an issue with unquoted databases. The previous person helped had used a space in their database. Naming convention and thus was having issues.

I have seen another case in the past similar to this one though with different conditions. My suggestion to prevent any issues with passwords would be to do the newsite/upgrade from the existing host and environment. That way there is no dropping of tables.

Backup of course.
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions to get me through the problem but I ended up following my own idea which was to copy the live database to my development server, upgrade the database on my development server, drop the tables on the live server, and import the database back into live. Thankfully it all worked without a problem and a small amount of downtime.

Only necessary of course because I could not get the database upgrade to run live.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions to get me through the problem but I ended up following my own idea which was to copy the live database to my development server, upgrade the database on my development server, drop the tables on the live server, and import the database back into live. Thankfully it all worked without a problem and a small amount of downtime.

Only necessary of course because I could not get the database upgrade to run live.
    Been able to login to the admin and as a previously existing customer as well without being told that the password is incorrect? (There are different encryption schemes applied based on the PHP version and if the above worked then thankfully didn't come across a related issue.) Of course may need to make note of the process you used for the next upgrade as it looks like the cause of the problem didn't get fixed but instead worked around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12