Plugin Contributions

Default Tax not charging to all customers

Hi.

I recently upgraded my Zencart 1.5.1 to 1.5.4. I also wanted to change much of the layout and theme and some product listings, so I upgraded by installing a fresh copy of Zencart 1.5.4 onto my server and then just restoring the database from my old version. (Database was then also upgraded to 1.5.4 using zcinstall).

I've just found out that I now have a problem regarding the calculation of Tax. The prices for all users that have registered after this upgrade display without tax (VAT) after they have logged in (before they have logged in everything is correct) and they are not charged any tax when checking out. All customers that registered before the upgrade work fine, displaying the correct prices and calculating taxes.

I have tried to have a look at and change settings in Configuration -> My Store to see if I can get any indication about what is causing the problem, but with no success. All taxes are set to show according to the location of my store, but I've changed it to the shipping address of the customer too and it did not solve the problem.

Can anybody help? Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax not charging to all customers

Quote Originally Posted by Loose_Moose View Post
    Hi.

I recently upgraded my Zencart 1.5.1 to 1.5.4. I also wanted to change much of the layout and theme and some product listings, so I upgraded by installing a fresh copy of Zencart 1.5.4 onto my server and then just restoring the database from my old version. (Database was then also upgraded to 1.5.4 using zcinstall).

I've just found out that I now have a problem regarding the calculation of Tax. The prices for all users that have registered after this upgrade display without tax (VAT) after they have logged in (before they have logged in everything is correct) and they are not charged any tax when checking out. All customers that registered before the upgrade work fine, displaying the correct prices and calculating taxes.

I have tried to have a look at and change settings in Configuration -> My Store to see if I can get any indication about what is causing the problem, but with no success. All taxes are set to show according to the location of my store, but I've changed it to the shipping address of the customer too and it did not solve the problem.

Can anybody help? Thanks!
    90% of the time when i see these issues it comes down to one of these items.

1.) Products are not marked as taxable goods
    2.) Tax Zone is not defined
    3.) Tax rate is incorrectly define example 0.08 will charge 0.08% NOT 8%
    4.) In Modules->Order Total, the wrong order, multiple with the same sort value, or one of them at a sort order of zero.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply. I checked for all of those things before I posted and I've checked again now. They all seem to be correct.

One thing that I have noticed that is very strange is that even when I uninstall the tax module, tax is still charged to the old customers and reflects on the website when not logged in.

What frustrates me is that it isn't a universal problem across all customers. There seems to be a clear distinction of customers before the upgrade (which seem to always be charged tax regardless of the settings) and after the upgrade (which seem to always NOT be charged tax regardless of the settings). Is it possible that I may have broken something while restoring the database?

Plugin Contributions

I think I've figured what is causing the problem, but I'm unsure of how to fix it. When registering as a new customer you are not prompted to input a state and therefore there is not tax zone linked to you (and therefore no tax displayed/charged). Do you have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Figured it out

Admin->Configuration->Customer Details

Changed both "State" and "State - Always display as pull down? to true" and it resolved the problem