Plugin Contributions

Default Creating Category for Options

I'm still learning to use the options and attributes for my products. I was wondering if anybody has ever created an options category to organize the option names better. I have several option names to enter that will have the same name but different values. The category would only be used in the admin area to make it easier to find the particular one I am looking for without having to click on each name when adding attributes.

I really wish someone would revamp the attributes and options to make it more flexible. It's too bad that the variants module was never finished, it might have done what I was looking for. Has anyone ever looked into Tomato Cart? It originated from OS Commerce like Zen Cart and has variants build into it. I wonder if it would be possible to adapt it to Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Creating Category for Options

Quote Originally Posted by imagineeratheart View Post
    I'm still learning to use the options and attributes for my products. I was wondering if anybody has ever created an options category to organize the option names better. I have several option names to enter that will have the same name but different values. The category would only be used in the admin area to make it easier to find the particular one I am looking for without having to click on each name when adding attributes.

I really wish someone would revamp the attributes and options to make it more flexible. It's too bad that the variants module was never finished, it might have done what I was looking for. Has anyone ever looked into Tomato Cart? It originated from OS Commerce like Zen Cart and has variants build into it. I wonder if it would be possible to adapt it to Zen Cart.
    The bold above. I don't understand.

Why for example would one enter the option name "size" more than once?

Size is size... Regardless if the size relates to shoes, shirts, pants, picture frames, nail lengths, bolt hole, etc....if the word size: is expected to be shown, then why list it more than once? What am I missing?

Now if the option name is to be shoe size: then well that won't work with pants or engines... :)

Though I'm trying to understand this "other" attribute setup, regardless of the underlying structure I don't yet see that creating the same thing multiple times solves anything. I would like to be smacked in the face with what the "difference" is so that I could maybe do something about it or at least incorporate something into Stock by Attributes to give it the largest applicability as possible. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Okay maybe this would be a better way to word it. How can I combine multiple options to make one attitribute? The best example I can think of is model trains. I would need it to be able to select the scale, the engine type, the color scheme or paint job, and have it combined into one attribute for one model of a train. This would be helpful because train companies produce the same train in different svales and paint schemes. All I have been able to do so far is add the options individually which makes each one show up as a way to order it regardless if it actually is available like that.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by imagineeratheart View Post
    Okay maybe this would be a better way to word it. How can I combine multiple options to make one attitribute? The best example I can think of is model trains. I would need it to be able to select the scale, the engine type, the color scheme or paint job, and have it combined into one attribute for one model of a train. This would be helpful because train companies produce the same train in different svales and paint schemes. All I have been able to do so far is add the options individually which makes each one show up as a way to order it regardless if it actually is available like that.
    Stock by Attributes would be the way I would go with that. https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.php?t=47180
    Allows you to identify the attribute combinations that generate a product. To identify a unique identifier for that combination (model for example) and to maintain a quantity of that product that is available.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    The bold above. I don't understand.

Why for example would one enter the option name "size" more than once?

Size is size... Regardless if the size relates to shoes, shirts, pants, picture frames, nail lengths, bolt hole, etc....if the word size: is expected to be shown, then why list it more than once? What am I missing?

Now if the option name is to be shoe size: then well that won't work with pants or engines... :)

Though I'm trying to understand this "other" attribute setup, regardless of the underlying structure I don't yet see that creating the same thing multiple times solves anything. I would like to be smacked in the face with what the "difference" is so that I could maybe do something about it or at least incorporate something into Stock by Attributes to give it the largest applicability as possible. :)
    One reason to have multiple option names (e.g. multiple "Size" or "Color" options) would be if you want the formatting to be different types (dropdown vs. radio-button) or different attribute-image layouts.

Plugin Contributions

The software is specifically available from: https://github.com/potteryhouse/stoc...ttribute_1.5.4

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    One reason to have multiple option names (e.g. multiple "Size" or "Color" options) would be if you want the formatting to be different types (dropdown vs. radio-button) or different attribute-image layouts.
    Thank you lat9, that does make sense. Can see how that/those differences can also be "problematic" on the admin side without making note of the applicable # associated with the desired attribute. Also how any additional info on the admin side would be something unique to the store (ie. Not needed by everyone.)

Will have to see what needs to be done for EasyPopulate to further consider those "subtle" differences.