Plugin Contributions

red flag Customer Password Reset

Customers absolutely drive me crazy asking me to reset their password because they claim Zen never sends them the new password when using the online "Forgot your password?" link.
    I have never seen Zen not send the password.

For those customers that insist that they have no spam filters, I go into their account and change their email address to mine. Then I request the password online. IN every case I always receive the password. I then change the email address back to theirs and send them the password.

I assume that the issue is spam filters,either at the host provider level, windows level, email level or added spyware level.
    What is it about the password email generated by Zen that triggers the filtering and how can I fix it? I did change some of the standard zen text strings, but the problem persists.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Zen Password Reset

Hard to say. It works fine on my test sites (though I have never been able to get the admin Lost Password function to send me anything), and I have the server spam protection cranked down pretty tight. Is there any common factor among the customers who complain, like their email domain?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Hard to say. It works fine on my test sites (though I have never been able to get the admin Lost Password function to send me anything), and I have the server spam protection cranked down pretty tight. Is there any common factor among the customers who complain, like their email domain?
    I did a quick check and I see all sorts of email domains

Live.com
    hotmail
    personal
    gmail

Plugin Contributions

If you create "test" accounts on those same domains (hotmail, gmail, etc) are the emails received? Did the customer spell their email address correctly (I see quite a large number of bounceback emails from customers with misspellings or suspended email accounts in my client's Zen Cart stores)? Did your store's email account receive any bounceback messages?

Is the store using a "real" email account (address can send and receive email)? Does the store send email directly via the domain's email servers (check MX records)? Is the store's email server on a blacklist? Are SPF and / or domain keys configured on the domain for the store's email address?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Two questions:

1. What is your Admin->Configuraiton->Email Options->Email Transport Method set to, and why?

2. Are you REALLY still using v1.3.9 ? There are dozens of improvements since v1.3.9 (released in 2010) with regard to how the email infrastructure operates specifically to avoid outgoing messages falsely being treated as spam.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Two questions:

1. What is your Admin->Configuraiton->Email Options->Email Transport Method set to, and why?

2. Are you REALLY still using v1.3.9 ? There are dozens of improvements since v1.3.9 (released in 2010) with regard to how the email infrastructure operates specifically to avoid outgoing messages falsely being treated as spam.
    Here we are in 2020, I'm on version 1.5.6c and we still have the same issue Split63 described in 2015. Just got off the phone with a customer although they usually contact me via email. Love the "Admin resets password" feature and have posted additional instructions on my site. Still...

I suspect the issue is in the email subject line. Where in Zen Cart is that found?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by acmaurer View Post
    Here we are in 2020, I'm on version 1.5.6c and we still have the same issue Split63 described in 2015. Just got off the phone with a customer although they usually contact me via email. Love the "Admin resets password" feature and have posted additional instructions on my site. Still...

I suspect the issue is in the email subject line. Where in Zen Cart is that found?
    your comment only indicates 1 thing: you really do not understand how email works.

i will try and help:

• zen-cart is an open-source on-line shopping cart.
    • zen-cart is not an email server. Most of its emails are sent from *your* server.
    • zen-cart uses the email server associated in its configuration; of which there are numerous choices.
    • configuring email to operate properly is rather difficult; i would say more so in a shared hosting environment.
    • email subjects, while perhaps minorly relevant, will not significantly change the spam rating of your email.
    • troubleshooting customer emails is a thankless job.
    • if you want to learn more about ensuring good email delivery, using google to search for SPF, DMARC, and DKIM.
    • use zen-cart to send an email to the address at this website, and you can see about what i am talking. https://www.mail-tester.com/
    • finally if you want to change the subject, you can see it here languages/english/password_forgotten.php:17:define('EMAIL_PASSWORD_REMINDER_SUBJECT','new subject')

good luck!
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Yep, email troubleshooting is time consuming and painful. And often it turns out to be the case that the recipient *did* get the email, they just didn't check their spam folder or wait long enough.

Here is the documentation on troubleshooting email:
    https://docs.zen-cart.com/user/troub.../email_issues/
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.