Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Change existing site from sub directory to the root of the web site

I installed zencart 1.54 in a subdirectory "root/storefron"t and now have changed my mind and would like to re-install the store in the root directory. Is there an existing thread which explains how to do this, or can someone help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Change existing site from sub directory to the root of the web site

Quote Originally Posted by fjbern1943 View Post
    I installed zencart 1.54 in a subdirectory "root/storefron"t and now have changed my mind and would like to re-install the store in the root directory. Is there an existing thread which explains how to do this, or can someone help.
    Yes, there is an entire FAQ on this process. One thing that might help with further doing this is to address if the only thing to do is to change the directory or is there a desire to also address other things like website rankings as well.

In the interim, see: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...that-directory
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Yes, there is an entire FAQ on this process. One thing that might help with further doing this is to address if the only thing to do is to change the directory or is there a desire to also address other things like website rankings as well.
    Could you further expand on how it relates to website rankings? Thank you.
    Linda

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lruskauff View Post
    Could you further expand on how it relates to website rankings? Thank you.
    Linda
    I'll try, though believe it or not there are others that could say it in more words than me.

Ranking "groups" know your site and product by URI. Change the address (remove/add a directory) without telling them where it went (or using a method that resolves to the previous product/page), and they can't find the product (and site) where it was at that gave it it's ranking. Can't find, then have to restart with ranking process, possibly competing with onesself for a short period of time until the old records are kicked out.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you and lol, "more words than you". I just changed my site from dynamic to static URL's after 6+ years. I figure I couldn't go much lower in rankings than I was. Sales aren't up yet (it has been 1 month) but more of my pages are getting indexed and crawled, so I think that is better. Now I see I should have gotten rid of the subdirectory /shop/ too and am thinking "should I do it again". My gut say no, but I'd be interested in what you experts think. So I am asking if it is worth it to change my directories once again from thestitchsanctuary dot com / shop to thestitchsanctuary dot com? Any opinions (and I don't mind lengthy ones).

Plugin Contributions

So part of my nswer addressed the change you made. The items on your site are still locatable by the ZC standard URI, which means existing/previous links still work and are locateable.

There are those that have preferences, and those that have reasons. I find/think that if ZC is the sole site, then there should not be a sub-directory seen webside. Sort of begs the question of what is in that root directory, or what else is hosted? Why am I directed to here instead of the mainpage, etc....

Now I say all that too from a standpoint ofintroducing ZC after the main site was in place where at the time someone else controlled the main site. At that time ZC was installed to a "published" sub-directory. That main site is going to be going away though...it is going to get it's content integrated into ZC, and then the applicable pages are going to be "redirected" to the ZC equivalent... And the store side will remain locateable as well, so no expectations of "issues".

As to the dynamic/static site uris, be ready to hear about it.

Other threads in here about moving directories, more than likely to be able to count... Just need to search even if starting with related threads at the bottom of this post.

Plugin Contributions

So... If your store were in a mall, would you want it to be on the main thoroughfare or inside of another store? The myth of needing to be in /shop, /store, etc. goes back to the mythological times of landing pages and shopping carts that did nothing but check you out.

And.... Speaking of doing nothing. Changing your site increased the indexing and crawling NOT the changing of the URIs. Had to add that for MCs
    As to the dynamic/static site uris, be ready to hear about it.
    Once an SE sees something new in the site or sitemap, the SE will crawl to see what else has changed and index what has changed. A reason ONLY for keeping content current and relevant.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    So... If your store were in a mall, would you want it to be on the main thoroughfare or inside of another store? The myth of needing to be in /shop, /store, etc. goes back to the mythological times of landing pages and shopping carts that did nothing but check you out.
    Ok. So I read "how to move directories" and it makes sense if I was moving from say /shop/ to /hop/ . But I'm actually getting rid of the /shop/ directory, so do I just dump the contents into the /public_html/? That seems messy. I understand that I also have to edit my configs and make sure my cache path is correct.

And.... Speaking of doing nothing. Changing your site increased the indexing and crawling NOT the changing of the URIs. Had to add that for MCsOnce an SE sees something new in the site or sitemap, the SE will crawl to see what else has changed and index what has changed. A reason ONLY for keeping content current and relevant.
    Well, I was always changing my site, adding and deleting products, changing the front page. But that didn't change the indexing in the past. At least it didn't seem to.

Plugin Contributions

Well, only "messy" if that's the structure of your public_html folder. :) but, that said may I reiterate:
    should not be a sub-directory seen webside
    The contents can be in a folder, provided the web address points to that folder... But there are still things to consider such as existing .htaccess rules and any new ones that get applied...

Or the "popular" method of having all of the web facing content in the public_html folder...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Well, only "messy" if that's the structure of your public_html folder. :)
    I can't help it, I let too many people in the front door over the years, each one dropping a file here or there. Now I have to figure out if they are needed before I delete them.

but, that said may I reiterate:

The contents can be in a folder, provided the web address points to that folder... But there are still things to consider such as existing .htaccess rules and any new ones that get applied...
    I guess I'm not following how web addresses work cause my store is in a folder now , /shop/ so my site points to it by thestitchsanctuary.com/shop

But I want to be able to just refer to it as thestitchsanctuary.com.

Are you saying that is possible?

Or the "popular" method of having all of the web facing content in the public_html folder...
    remember, I'm not good with indirect. :). Are you saying popular good or popular bad.

Right now I have my blog folder, and a few backup folders in my public_html directory. I was told to set up my test directory as a subdominant, which I did but it's files are in the public html too. So I do editing of the htaccess rules when I need to run a test. I don't like having to do that but wasn't sure how else to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast