Plugin Contributions

Default Permanent Shopping Cart on different browsers/computers

I was helping a customer out by creating an account for them, placing items in the shopping cart and then asked the customer to login and check the items out. However, when they logged in, using a different browser, the items were not in the cart. Is permanent shopping cart based on IP address and not the customer's database account? Or does the browser have anything to do with it?

It would be nice if a customer could login with any browser on a different computer and still see their permanent shopping cart.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Permanent Shopping Cart on different browsers/computers

The "permanent" shopping cart is stored in a database table associated with the customer's account. It should be accessible without regard to the browser that the customer used.

When you added the items to the customer's shopping-cart, were you logged into the customer's account?

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I was logged into the customer's account. And then I tested it out on my computer using a different browser and the cart was not there. I created the cart in Chrome and then tested on Safari and Firefox and it wasn't there in both cases. I thought the permanent cart would work as you describe, but it doesn't seem to in my case.

Plugin Contributions

That's not "standard" Zen Cart behavior, so I'm guessing that you've got a plugin that's somehow removed that functionality from the shopping-cart class.

Please help us help you by supplying some of the information requested by the "Posting Tips" (readable just above the area where you fill in a post):
    - Zen Cart Version: 1.3.9h ... you really, really should be upgrading, but that's a different topic
    - Installed plugins

Plugin Contributions

Perhaps it is one of my plugins. However, I just figured out that the cart issue I'm having is browser specific. I recreated the cart on Safari (my customer was using an iPad) and then logged in on a different device, on Safari, and the cart was present.

I know I need to be upgrading, but I have so many plugins and customizations. It's going to put me out of business for months to upgrade!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AvaAdorn View Post
    Perhaps it is one of my plugins. However, I just figured out that the cart issue I'm having is browser specific. I recreated the cart on Safari (my customer was using an iPad) and then logged in on a different device, on Safari, and the cart was present.

I know I need to be upgrading, but I have so many plugins and customizations. It's going to put me out of business for months to upgrade!
    Not if you follow the upgrade process which should result in a few minutes outage.
    See: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

The issue of the permanent cart and the above testing, I thought the cart got "saved" when logging out either by session timeout or by choosing to logout. And that otherwise the cart was. Associated with the current session until one of the above occurred. (Makes me want to test this thought of course. :) )

When performing the second round of testing, were the chosen product different than earlier testing and did such a timeout/logout occur between the various testers?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    When performing the second round of testing, were the chosen product different than earlier testing and did such a timeout/logout occur between the various testers?
    The products in the second cart were the exact same as the first cart. And the first cart was created days ago and was logged out before I tested it on the different browsers.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    The issue of the permanent cart and the above testing, I thought the cart got "saved" when logging out either by session timeout or by choosing to logout. And that otherwise the cart was. Associated with the current session until one of the above occurred. (Makes me want to test this thought of course. :) )

The cart contents get saved into the customers_basket database table whenever the shopping-cart contents are changed and the customer is logged in.

Plugin Contributions

I tested again, and it turns out that it wasn't the browser issue or the permanent cart. When I start from my home page and click log in, it doesn't seem to always log in initially. So when I looked at the cart and it said 0 items, I thought it was because the cart wasn't saved. But in reality, the login didn't take the first time. I had to login 2 or 3 times for it to finally take. I wonder if anyone has had this issue before. Login works fine from the shopping cart, but not from the home page.

And when the login doesn't work, the URL at the top gives me some strange Zen URL: https://www.mystore.com/?zenid=be820...90b43ac0051073

When logging in does work, the URL simply states (after login): https://www.mystore.com

I wonder if perhaps this has something to do with my SSL?
    Last edited by AvaAdorn; 24 Jun 2015 at 09:46 PM.