Plugin Contributions

Default Is it possible to set up preorders for digital products?

I run an ebook webstore and would like to offer the option to preorder our products before the release date. Our payments are collected through PayPal. Is this something Zen Cart can do?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it possible to set up preorders for digital products?

Perhaps other ways to accomplish this, but one that comes to mind is to make the current download file include something that indicates when it will be available. If not mistaken though the path/filename needs to be the same as what it will be when the item is actually available. This is because the individual's order history will reflect that data so that when they return to their account and click on their order that information is used to download the file.

An alternative is to use a plugin I have seen/used but can't remember the name of that changes the download filename information into a sort of script retrieval system. Thus when the "date" arrives the chosen path for the filenme is updated as part of processing and becomes independent of the attribute information and is controlled by the script.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Well, I can just upload the files on the release date, that's no problem, and they'll be available for download then. My question is how do I set up the product so that it can be ordered before the date available? Is that do-able?

Plugin Contributions

So that's my point, I just setup a product that referenced a file that does not currently exist (similar situation as a pre-order), I was able to purchase the item, and in the checkout success page it recognized the filename I entered (0 bytes) and did not provide a download button (presence of such would allow clicking and therefore decrement the remaining available downloads). No problem.

But then I went back to the attributes controller option for the product and changed the filename to "the downloadable" product, when I as the customer went to look at my order, well the file to be pulled remained the same (information is pulled from the order history not from the current designation for the product. This is intentional.)

So the nswer to your question, can it be done, yes as said before (with a perhaps a minor modification) the filename of your pre-order download file needs to be the same as the filename that will be used for your actual product or need to store two copies on your server, or need to manually edit the database information for all pre-orders upon the date/time the actual file is available.

Number of ways to address all this, some of which f this is going to be a "routine" thing I would suggest identifying a way to accomplish the task with minimal effort/action. There are other things to consider as well in regards to keeping those purchasers notified/informed.

Plugin Contributions

Maybe also didn't answer the question of how to setup a file for download, but in this case, it would be the same for the preorder as it is for any downloadable file.

Option name to indicate style of "selection" (dropdown, radio), option value to represent the text they see when viewing the product.
    Attributes controller: add the option name and value to the product. (Though also need to consider your audience as I believe there are EU requirements that files be emailed, which changes how this all goes.)
    The attribute should include the filename at the bottom of the screen that is to now and later represent that file set the number of allowable downloads and duration available to downlod (each as necessary for your business plan).

Establish any other attrbute settings necessary.

Product is purchased.

On day/time of availability store file in directory with filename given above. Users can now access the file for download.

Recommend sending an email to all those that purchased the product as soon as it has been uploaded...

Plugin Contributions

More official instruction is available at: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...s-downloadable

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the info! I have my store set up so EU customers are emailed their files, and all other customers can download automatically. I guess I'll just have to fiddle around with the settings to see what works best for our setup.

I already have the setting turned on to prevent downloads from deducting from product quantity, so that isn't an issue. But I'll have to see if I can figure out how to configure pre-orders to not be delivered instantly, so I can go in and update the orders when the products are released and thus have update emails sent to each customer when I upload the correct file.

I'm thinking there's probably also a setting somewhere about allowing customers to purchase out of stock items (all my "coming soon" products are currently listed as "out of stock" until I put them "in stock" before the available date).

So I guess it comes down to tinkering on the site to see what I can get to work :)

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, if the quantity is zero and is to remain that way, then will need to make other changes to the site/product operation to support purchasing against a zero quantity (or less) product.

Alternatively could give the product a quantity and use other methods to indicate the pre-order status of it. Helps SEs to possibly include that text in the description... But it does look like you have n understanding of what's needed to resolve the reason for posting.

As for the download button, if the file associated with the attribute does not exist, then the download button does not display, so no change in that factor possible until the referenced file (as captured in the order history) is present.