Plugin Contributions

Default Error: File upload not saved

Hi,
    I have just suddenly come across this problem it was working a couple days ago.

Error: File upload not saved
    Everything else is fine. I haven't changed anything all i did was copy a file from this site to another I set-up cause i know it works (the other site is fine)
    Using v1.5.1
    I have read a couple other thread with the same thing to change permissions. Which I have tried a couple different combinations that was suggested with no luck.
    Files upload via FTP.

I'm sure its my host but I just want to eliminate everything else before, as they are denying any involvement again....!

Site name is www.mcqentltd.co.uk

If there is anything I haven't provided, I apologize in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Error: File upload not saved

What permissions were changed/reviewed? Directories? How the code handles/creates temp directories? Please elaborate. The "other site" is it on the same host? Perhaps better asked is what is the difference between the two as related to this feature and associated files/folders? Do you have a comparison tool such as winmerge or beyond compare?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    So I haven't changed the code in regards to temp directories didn't see any information regarding that in previous threads.
    I changed the permissions of the images folders 777 or 755 also changed internal folders to 777 as well. Still no joy...
    Also checked the .htaccess in the image folder against the new site and its the same
    The other site is on the same host but different server and account. Also different site hope they didn't cause any confusion.
    I have been manually doing a comparison on certain files because it's fundamentally a different site.

Hope that helps

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by leon2lil View Post
    Hi
    So I haven't changed the code in regards to temp directories didn't see any information regarding that in previous threads.
    I changed the permissions of the images folders 777 or 755
    Although it isn't going to make any difference to your problem. The 'correct' folder permissions should be '775' (if it works) or '777' if '775' *doesn't* work *and* your host allows '777'.
    Folder permissions of '755' are generally a little TOO restrictive for folders that need to be writable for the server process.
    Folder permissions of '777' are often denied by some hosts as not being restrictive enough. In this case, the result is usually a '500 Server Error'.

also changed internal folders to 777
    Please don't do that (or if you do, then you really should revert them back to the defaults after doing any testing). Setting them to '777' means that anyone with access to the server will be able to create files in *your* folders. This isn't a problem with a private server (VPS) - but with a shared server it is asking to be hacked.

The other site is on the same host but different server and account.
    I don't wish to be pedantic, but a 'host' and a 'server' are actually the exact same thing. They both refer to a specific *computer*.

More accurate terminology would be:
    Both sites are with the same provider (or host provider), but different server and account.

Knowing the host provider will often give us an idea as to how they run things or set things up.
    Knowing whether the site(s) are on the same account will generally imply that the sites are both on the same server/computer (or not).

Also different site hope they didn't cause any confusion.
    I have been manually doing a comparison on certain files because it's fundamentally a different site.
    Hope that helps
    If there *was* any confusion, you have now eliminated that. :-)

It's not "fundamentally a different site" it is a totally different site.
    Having the ability to compare files is often a good thing, but in this case I'm not convinced it will be of any help.

In another very recent thread where someone had reported the same symptoms, it was pointed out by DrByte that the
    "Error: File upload not saved" will only occur *after* the folders have been checked for permissions errors, so you/we can elimate this as a possible cause.
    I'm personally doubtful that this issue will be caused by any differences in the files - I'm guessing it IS possible, but you would need to be extremely unlucky if this is the *only* problem observed by 'invalid' (changed) files, SO, in this basis, I can think of only two possible causes.

1) You've ran out of disk space.
    2) There is something fundamentally wrong with a host/server itself.

If you've not run out of disk space you should contact the hosting provider, as they will have log files (not available to you) that will detail the *exact* cause of the problem (which will *probably* end up being a security related setting on this particular server, which will explain why you aren't having the same issue with the other site(s) on a different server.

Cheers
    RodG