Plugin Contributions

Default Non-Secure Side Box for Google Adv

I am just 2-3 weeks old to Zen cart and PHP. So forgive me if it I don't make much sense.

I tried to embed Google AdSense into a side box. But it does not show up. I could sum up from few postings that the adsense advertisements don't show up on the secured pages.

My site has SSL. Is there anyway to assign a Non-Secure SIDE BOX so that the Google adsense advertisements show up ?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Non-Secure Side Box for Google Adv

Glad to see you pushing through for your site.

So, regardless of the platform (ZC or a standard webpage) hosting a non-secure sidebox while on a secure page will cause browsers to identify to guests that there is a difference in content. This has a tendency to make vistors wary of the page (and potentially entire site) that such mixed content is presented.

From a commerce perspective, if the only pages that are presented securely are those that ZC respects/expects when SSL is enabled, then one would want to ask why offer a means to allow the purchase process to be derailed? (Why offer something to allow the purchaser to go away from making the purchase?) If all pages are being presented securely, then perhaaps there is something in the code to present the adsense advertisement securely and therefore resolve the problem.

If that option is available from google adsense, then the variable to test against is $request_type. If $request_type == 'SSL' then use the secure adsense code else use the non-secure adsense code.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you. Commerce is the primary objective. So your argument makes a lot of sense.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by prabhatM View Post
    My site has SSL. Is there anyway to assign a Non-Secure SIDE BOX so that the Google adsense advertisements show up ?
    Short answer is no.

Longer answer is why would you want to. Google supports SSL for *all* of its content these days, so all you'll need to do is change any http links to the adsense code to use https instead.

mc1-8 has provided the more detailed answer, along with a method so it'll work both with and without SSL enabled browsers.

Cheers
    RodG
    Last edited by RodG; 24 Jul 2015 at 01:15 AM.