Plugin Contributions

Default Modifying Classice Template - Couple of Issues

Am still working on 1.54 demo store, and have a couple of issues regarding template (Classic).

First, in live store v1.39h, am using Bookshelf template. When I installed in demo v1.54 store, I had some issues - could not get hide categories to work and was having alot of trouble with visual/layout, even though settings were identical to live store. Dropped demo data tables and imported live store database so I could work with the products and categories I knew. This import caused even more issues. The Bookshelf template was so mixed up and messed up, I removed it and selected Classic template. Under Classic, Hide Categories worked right. I did not like the 'look' of Classic and wanted to achieve the Bookshelf look. So I began modifying the logo and header images, index and header php files, used the Bookshelf css stylesheet, and am *almost* there (at least it seems to me).

The last issue with modifying the Classic to emulate look of Bookshelf can be seen in attached jpg.

Top part of jpg shows heading of live store. Bottom part of jpg shows Classic attempt. I have been unable to find how to change where the sideboxes land , as they seem to bump up over the bookshelf image. Also, I can't seem to get rid of the Classic green/blue colors up on the left heading (it is EZ pages links, I hide categories and show EZ pages.

I have used the developers toolkit to find as much as I can, but am not sure what to do next. Yes, maybe I should not modify Classic. Maybe if I can get it finished right, I can rename folder to Bookshelf and install original 'vanilla' Classic. But so far I have been able to make much more progress and have fewer issues with add-ons using Classic, and simply want to change the way it looks.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if I've missed any info that might be helpful. Thank you!Name:  sample.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  57.7 KB

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Modifying Classice Template - Couple of Issues

You're correct in the idea that you shouldn't edit the Classic template. As you've found out, if it's unmodified, it can be a handy troubleshooting tool. You should make a copy of the Classic template files and folders and create your own custom template. I've done that and saved it, so when I install Zencart, the first thing I do is install that custom template.

It's doubtful that anyone will be able to help with your styling issues from a screenshot. We'll need to see the site.

Plugin Contributions

I will do that - make copy of classic for my customizations, and then re-install classic. Will take care of that first so I can see if there's any files I've missed comparing/customizing and report back. I see what you mean about screenshot, I can understand not enough info. I am also checking out links to learn more about unraveling what makes a template tick. I really want to get a good understanding of how they're constructed, what files are involved. Guess I should have started there first . . . :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowce View Post
    I will do that - make copy of classic for my customizations, and then re-install classic. Will take care of that first so I can see if there's any files I've missed comparing/customizing and report back. I see what you mean about screenshot, I can understand not enough info. I am also checking out links to learn more about unraveling what makes a template tick. I really want to get a good understanding of how they're constructed, what files are involved. Guess I should have started there first . . . :)
    If understand the above correctly, you are looking at possibly comparing the templated files to the zen cart default files to see what differences have been made... If that is the case, then you are definitely on the right track. As part of that though, it is also best to verify that your original site files (still have a backup right?) affecting template display match the default ZC files for that version... If they do not, then it might be necessary to merge the changes of the default files into your "backup" stores template files before doing the comparison of the template to the new ZC version. This is likely to make more sense once you've come to terms with how the template override process works. Hopefully you've found assistance such as this FAQ on template overrides. Or an overly simplified representation of the template system which includes a link to a useful download for what you are trying to learn and do.

If you have a good comparison utility, you are likely to see some things moved or to appear as if in one file at a location but not at the same location in the other file. In cases such as this it is important to at least find a way to first line them up, compare (and change the template override as necessary) and then possibly restore the position in the file so that the template still looks/responds the way that was desired. Care should be taken though to ensure that the position isn't otherwise affected by new changes to the default template (not likely to be many).

Modifications made to stylesheets are probably going to be the most "troubling" assuming 1) that changes have been made to the same stylesheet from your version to now, 2) if changes had been made to the templates_default version of the stylesheet instead of first copying to the template override and then making the modification, 3) changes made to stylesheets that load later do not "counter" a change that was made to one that loads sooner. This is all because stylesheets 1) load in a sequence and 2) "stack" on top of each other with the settings of each next sheet "adding to"/overriding the sheet before it.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Yes, backup of live store. It has been a real blessing in this process. Yes, a good file comparison tool. Used to use winmerge, and still do on a folder/sub-folder level comparison, but now use mostly Scriptly for file by file workings, as to me it is fabulous, at least for my abilities to work with these kind of files. http://www.webocton.de/?cid=3&sid=42

Your explanation of how stylesheets load and can override the sheet before it was very helpful. You nailed it on the issue. Turned out to be a clash of an add-on css stylesheet. I had installed stylesheet_css_buttons.css in the classic. When I modified to emulate Bookshelf, I had left that stylesheet in the css directory, forgetting to delete it. Going through each file in each directory, and deleting that in bookshelf/css directory immediately got rid of the issue.

Thank you for the links, I had not found those, and they look very helpful.
    Last edited by sparrowce; 26 Jul 2015 at 02:27 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Is it possible to install The Bookshelf Template in v1.5.5, or will I have to go back to 1.3
    Do the Impossible!!