Plugin Contributions

Default Can we disable a particular language's visibility for visitors temporarily?

When we enable a new language, there is a lot of translation that goes on to populate the product pages, the EZ pages, create new banners, etc.
    Is there a way to be working on that language in Admin, but not have it visible to visitors until we have it cleaned up?
    We don't want to turn off all the languages just to hide one...
    Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can we disable a particular language's visibility for visitors temporarily?

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    When we enable a new language, there is a lot of translation that goes on to populate the product pages, the EZ pages, create new banners, etc.
    Is there a way to be working on that language in Admin, but not have it visible to visitors until we have it cleaned up?
    We don't want to turn off all the languages just to hide one...
    Thanks!
    Well, abstinence is perhaps the best policy. Using a development server/version of the site would prevent others from attempting that new language while giving the admin the time needed/desired to get through all of the aspects of the new language assignment.

Other than that, want to possibly edit the language class files so that it doesn't serve up your unfinished language(s) when queried on the store side. Or if not the class files (as may impact admin side changes/information) then the areas that present language swapping/options in the templates to have them ignore the language(s) under development. Whatever the case, I would suggest trying something that has minimal potential impact on the live site. Especially since seem to be talking about a large number of edits to be made not just the loading of a language file...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can we disable a particular language's visibility for visitors temporarily?

We can get it prepped as far as possible on the test server, but anything in the database can't be prepped (e.g. all the category/product texts, ezpages, etc.), and has to be done live (IMHO). The alternative is to shut down the store so it doesn't accumulate customer and order data while we work on the test server. -- or to update only specific tables or sets of tables in the live system, which I believe is frowned on for good reasons.

This is really probably a feature request. What I'd like is something to "deactivate" a language for the live website, just like we can deactivate a product. As long as we can access it from Admin we can enter the necessary data, pop it live occasionally to check it, then turn it on for everyone to be thrilled by. :-)

I was just hoping that maybe there was a trick to accomplishing that with the present setup.

Plugin Contributions

Hi.
    I have a similar problem but I want to hide/cancel/delete the English language forever.
    I want only 1 language on my pack and it is not English.
    I installed my default (Hebrew) language pack and found out that Google finds English pages on
    my site and I do not want this to happen as I will need to write new site in English...
    Thought to put something in Robots.txt file but not sure if this is the solution.

So...I thought to delete the English language from Admin -> Languages.
    Wanted to ask someone experienced if it will be OK and will solve my google search problem.
    Of course I will backup all before.

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I have 3 languages on my store and i want to delete one of then. I know that i can delete the language in admin.... but what happen with all the files that had been created like ez-pages,... If i want to restore the language it woulb be easy or i need to do everything again.
    Thanks for th ehelp

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by OdeioHTML View Post
    Hi,

I have 3 languages on my store and i want to delete one of then. I know that i can delete the language in admin.... but what happen with all the files that had been created like ez-pages,... If i want to restore the language it woulb be easy or i need to do everything again.
    Thanks for th ehelp
    Currently it is not possible to disable a language. So if you delete the selected language all associated database entries are lost. You could make a databy backup to save your work.
    At the moment. I am working on a disable function for a customer. When it is finished, and she agrees, I'll put it up in the modules section.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by OdeioHTML View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for th ehelp
    So, deleting the language in admin will delete database entries not files. Ez-pages are database entries, but unless the installation of the multi-language feature specifically tied in deletion of a language with deletion of ezpages, the default code does not delete ezpages. Now on the flip side, it seems to appear that perhaps you could rename the language/two letter code and it may appear as the language is not installed and it would default to the default language/english. Haven't tried it, so this last part is a bit of speculation.

There are ways to backup the data you need to later restore as necessary without affecting orders, customers, etc...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

the module has been uploaded and approved here

Plugin Contributions

I wanted only one language which is not English so I deleted the English language from Admin panel.
    I think it has caused me mysterious troubles:
    Wen I changed now my logo.png file it is not showing anymore on the site although jpg file on the same
    directory will be seen. If this is not enough, when I loaded gif file - it loads only half of it and I checked it on
    2 devices on the web. When loaded the file in the computer Windows Paint - it shows full logo.
    So my suggestion is.....be careful when deleting English language...