Plugin Contributions

Default Values on Checkout_Payment are not retained after error

My store is here: https://www.mellew.com/reg/
    ZenCart 1.5.1
    CC Gateway Authorize.net AIM

I have a quirky annoyance that is probably something simple, I can't find it so I hope it is a problem someone out there has already solved.

On the last page of checkout, if there is an error, no values are retained. If one mis-types one's CC number, the CC number field is wiped out along with expiration date, CVV etal. I would like to keep all the data keyed into the form. Still show the error but allow the customer to review and fix.

When products are added to the cart, this does not occur. All products have required attributes. Error processing is fine there. If a required attribute is omitted, an "OOPS ..." message is displayed and all values entered are retained.

At checkout, I required acceptance of Terms and Conditions. And a valid CC. If they enter their CC correctly and forget to Accept Terms, an Error is invoked and they must enter everything again including CC.

Another observation: The OOPS messages on the product attributes are yellow background and the errors on the checkout_payment page are red.

https://www.mellew.com/reg/

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Values on Checkout_Payment are not retained after error

The act of "remembering and re-displaying" the shopper's credit card data is a forbidden practice when it comes to PCI compliance (which is required when collecting credit cards directly on your site). That's why the card data is not re-displayed. It's understandably inconvenient, but that's the "why" behind that behaviour.

In addition to upgrading to the latest version, there are 2 things you could do to customize your own checkout flow to improve customer experience somewhat:
    1. Alter the checkout_payment template to move the T&C checkbox so that it's below the payment choices and just above the continue/submit button. That way it's more visible to the customer and they're more likely to not "miss" it.

2. Optionally you could write some javascript code which disables the continue/submit button so that it can't be clicked until the T&C box is checked, and present some sort of message to the visitor to alert them to what they still need to do in order to proceed.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Values on Checkout_Payment are not retained after error

Thanks for the response. I like the Javacript idea. I think that will be incorporated as part of the upgrade to ZC 1.5.4.