Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Allowing Manufacturers to loh in to Admin and view their sales

Since I am new to both PHP and Zen cart, looking for help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by prabhatM View Post
    Zencart gas support for Multiple manufacturers. One could sort products by "manufacturers", view the sales....etc. Great feature for supporting multiple vendors / manufacturers.

But.... if a manufacturer wants to view his own sales without any intervention of the site administrator ?

He can't !! He has to depend on the Site Administrator for all his reports.

====

It could be so simple, making life easy for everybody !

JUST ALLOW ONE MORE FIELD WHILE REGISTERING A MANUFACTURER IN THE ADMIN - ADD HIS "EMAIL" !!!

When we are allowing Manufacturer's name, Logo, Product details, we could also allow another field i.e. EMAIL !

With his email added in the Admin, the administrator could assign him a ROLE and the manufacturer can login with his email id and password, view his ORDERS independently !!! Even he can administrate his own customers !!!

====

I think adding an email field of the manufacturer to the database and filtering the orders based on his email should not be difficult.

I am new to Zencart. So I really don't want to fool around with my newly working site.

Can anybody help ?
    You *could* do that, provided you make the necessary code alterations to support your desired functionality. In addition to appropriately identifying the logged-in admin user as being authorized to a specific admin-profile, you would need to adjust all the related scripts which do database queries for data retrieval and/or reporting to specifically limit their results to the specified manufacturer. This would require first identifying the relevant manufacturers_id from the database based on their identification at login+authorization time, and then including a corresponding WHERE clause to every relevant query. Keep in mind that none of the order-related data is stored as being directly related to a given manufacturer. You would first need to look up the products on every order and use those products' product-id values to subsequently lookup the manufacturers id, and if there's a match include the order in the list to be presented later ... and then later do the real reporting/lookup process. It's a complex set of changes, but is certainly do-able if you have the skills to write the queries and the additional required code, and of course test the end results. Be sure to test whether someone can "fake" the system into revealing data they're not supposed to see, too, else you could run into some liability issues.
    Hope that's helpful for steering you in the direction you need to go to meet your customized requirements.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You *could* do that, provided you make the necessary code alterations to support your desired functionality. In addition to appropriately identifying the logged-in admin user as being authorized to a specific admin-profile, you would need to adjust all the related scripts which do database queries for data retrieval and/or reporting to specifically limit their results to the specified manufacturer. This would require first identifying the relevant manufacturers_id from the database based on their identification at login+authorization time, and then including a corresponding WHERE clause to every relevant query. Keep in mind that none of the order-related data is stored as being directly related to a given manufacturer. You would first need to look up the products on every order and use those products' product-id values to subsequently lookup the manufacturers id, and if there's a match include the order in the list to be presented later ... and then later do the real reporting/lookup process. It's a complex set of changes, but is certainly do-able if you have the skills to write the queries and the additional required code, and of course test the end results. Be sure to test whether someone can "fake" the system into revealing data they're not supposed to see, too, else you could run into some liability issues.
    Hope that's helpful for steering you in the direction you need to go to meet your customized requirements.
    I have been a ColdFusion user for a long time and been away from general coding for last few years. I have done full elearning system from the ground up for a very large base of concurrent users.

It's just that ZenCart has been working so wonderfully that I am perhaps simply refusing to learn a new language i.e. PHP. Because I don't need much. A few changes here and there would do the trick for me.

That's why I am seeking a little help from PHP and Zencart veterans.

Hope some help will come by.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by prabhatM View Post
    It's just that ZenCart has been working so wonderfully that I am perhaps simply refusing to learn a new language i.e. PHP. Because I don't need much. A few changes here and there would do the trick for me.

That's why I am seeking a little help from PHP and Zencart veterans.

Hope some help will come by.
    Despite what you believe
    What you asking for in NOT Trivial

imo: It will be a major task to provide this functionality and to test it thoroughly

Not to mention trying to keep it current with each upgrade

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gilby View Post
    Despite what you believe
    What you asking for in NOT Trivial

imo: It will be a major task to provide this functionality and to test it thoroughly

Not to mention trying to keep it current with each upgrade
    I respect your observations.

Since it was all about DATA READ ONLY, I thought the risk would be negligible.

Note : We are not writing anything to the DB except for the EMAIL ID of the Manufacturer. Rest is all about FILTER and DISPLAY of the data.
    Last edited by prabhatM; 20 Aug 2015 at 05:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12