Default Re: css styling help needed

even the default template has everything listed under categories

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
    so i should change Categories or Store to Shop or Catalog
    even the default template has everything listed under categories
    As *I* said there were two things going on. I as a "new" shopper to the site first was trying to figure out how to navigate by "first" look. Initially, I thought huh, "new age" site going for the buttons in the images... Well, I don't know anything about the type of thing I'm looking for.. The site seems to be about floors, and if I was searching for floor related things, maybe I would look for product from a specific manufacturer, let me click on... This...

Oh, nothing, maybe the other one? No maybe over here... Ehh, nope photo is just some sort of background... Okay, so where are the active things? Like the links and dropdowns or lists... After moving my cursor around to see it change to a different style ponter (being able to find some navigation part) I found the menu bar... Stll not having a clue about what I could possibly want flooring related, I didn't really see exactly anything that led me to what I should do next... Or where I should go to find out more about what I should do next... Like how much of this floor stuff is covered by the site, will I need other materials/equipment? Is everything really there? Etc...

Just a candid description of what my intial view was... Being that the goal was to compare the two sites and I looked at the other site's main page first, I didn't actually navigate either site beyond that...

Changing catalog or whatever? *Shrug* I don't know, Ii also don't know your product/audience. The fact that ZC defaults to catalog? Sure, but not everyone sells the same thng the same way... Maybe call it floor thingz and then have the breakdown below, or perhap more floorz, dunno either, but... If going to change it make it something that helps one go down the path to purchase...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

last year website brought in close to $100,000.00 according to the sales report

Plugin Contributions

last year website brought in close to $100,000.00 according to the sales report
    Oh no, I'm starting to sound. Like someone else with the following:

So, do you think that's the most that the site can bring in?

As far as I can tell, no one that has posted regarding this is out to get you or set you up for failure... I know that we've crossed paths in the past (on good terms of course), my previous post was as said what went through my head when I landed on the page... Like looking at a piece of art in an art gallery, just providing what s/was felt... Do what you will with whatever anyone has said.

Congratulations on the sales, hope that they continue or improve.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

im just saying that it has potential to make that and more, i could imagine if i improved on things

Plugin Contributions

almost all of my competitors of flooring tools and supplies are similarly setup like this, but on Different platforms. And i am assuming they are paying for advertising. I am not. They probably got their own web people. I got me.

Plugin Contributions

are you refering to my Background of Manufacturer logos or something else?
    The background image Or logos. I really can't tell where one ends and the other starts. - It's too much. Too busy.

seen it setup like that on some of my competitors websites. heres 1
    http://www.shorelineflooringsupplies.net/
    Also too much/too busy, but at least they have the decency to have it semi transparent to make it easier to distinguish between the background and actual content.

Just because your competitors wish too make a bad looking site is no reason for you to copy them.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    The background image Or logos. I really can't tell where one ends and the other starts. - It's too much. Too busy.
    it's the background. bk.jpg and footer-bk.jpg. Just get rid of them. If you MUST use an image background make it a simple 'texture'.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

ok background gone how do i get rid of that white bar underneath the megamenu, move my sliding images up and search bar is off on internet explorer

Plugin Contributions

ok background gone
    Looks MUCH better IMO.

how do i get rid of that white bar underneath the megamenu, move my sliding images up and search bar is off on internet explorer
    I don't use IE, but regardless of this, a screenshot showing how what it is you are wanting to do would be a great help.

If the 'white bar underneath the megamenu' is what I think it is, this can be reduced by adjusting the 'height' setting in your stylesheet_mega_menu.css file

#mega-wrapper .mega-menu {
    background: url(../images/menu-bk.png) no-repeat;
    list-style: none;
    width: 1034px;
    margin: 30px auto 0px auto;
    height: 65px;
    padding: 0px 20px 0px 20px;
    }

45px seems to work ok in Chrome & Firefox.

Tip: Most web browsers have a development tools that will let you inspect and adjust various 'page elements' in 'real time'. They are very useful for this type of 'tweaking'. The 'live edits' are only temporary so you need to take note of the changes you need and write them back to the relevant stylesheets to make them permanent. This is good, because when you make a mess of things with the 'live tweaks' you simply refresh the page and start again. :-)

Cheers
    RodG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12