Plugin Contributions

Default White screen on installion

Hi

I'm trying to move servers and following Dr Byte's instructions
    I've created a new database and uploaded a new version of 1.3.9h to a new folder on the new server
    When I try to run zc_install/index.php I get white screen please could someone help

thanks

Derek

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: White screen on installion

Did you check for debug logs in the installation's /cache folder?

It's quite possible that your new server's PHP version and Zen Cart v1.3.9h are not "playing nice" together. Why are you starting this new server with a 5-year-old version of Zen Cart?

Plugin Contributions

thanks for replying lat9 - you are right "new server's PHP version and Zen Cart v1.3.9h are not "playing nice" together"
    I wanted to do the upgrade after moving servers

Plugin Contributions

Most webhosts provide some type of mechanism (accessible via your hosted cPanel) to allow you to control which version of PHP a site is to use. For the 1.3.9 series, PHP 5.2.17 is the best -- PHP 5.3.x would be my next selection.

Plugin Contributions

thanks lat9 - unfortunately Hostroute will not allow any other php version apart from 5.2.17 which doesn't seem to be suitable for Zen 5.1.4

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bryant View Post
    thanks lat9 - unfortunately Hostroute will not allow any other php version apart from 5.2.17 which doesn't seem to be suitable for Zen 5.1.4
    It's not exactly suitable for any PHP operations which is why it is being "retired". That said, there are some modifications that could be made to ZC 1.5.4 to allow it to run (though still having the flaws of PHP 5.2.17) that are posted at: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...s)-with-v1-5-4 at each entry discussing PHP 5.2.17.

Of course the better solution is to find a better host that not only is not using PHP 5.2.17, but offers at least PHP 5.4 even though that too is out or almost out the door.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

thanks everyone - am trying out moving to a new server at Hostroute which supports php versions 5.4 to 5.6 currently set at 5.4 with one of my Zen Cart sites

Am trying to do a fresh install of Zen 138H on the new server but am getting a white screen plus the following log error message:

[24-Aug-2015 16:36:01 Europe/London] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: memcache (path: /var/sites/b/website.co.uk/public_html/cache) in /var/sites/b/website.co.uk/public_html/zc_install/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 92

any help much appreciated

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bryant View Post
    thanks everyone - am trying out moving to a new server at Hostroute which supports php versions 5.4 to 5.6 currently set at 5.4 with one of my Zen Cart sites

Am trying to do a fresh install of Zen 138H on the new server but am getting a white screen plus the following log error message:

[24-Aug-2015 16:36:01 Europe/London] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: memcache (path: /var/sites/b/website.co.uk/public_html/cache) in /var/sites/b/website.co.uk/public_html/zc_install/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 92

any help much appreciated
    Part of the reason to do the upgrade is to take advantage of the additional security by the more recent PHP versions... Problem with that though is that an old version of ZC doesn't work on a new version of PHP... Beyond that... The old files will serve you well for comparison to an old clean set of files (able to find/identify the changes that were made to give what you had), but they will not offer a functional view if the PHP version is beyond the capabilities of the code (though still have your old site it seems?)... The database; however, which is all of the product and other settings that you've had, can be updated/upgraded using the zc_install process from a newly installed version of ZC...

May I suggest looking at: https://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3 which provides instruction about how to rebuild your site on a new version of ZC instead of stepping through the "upgrade" process... (The rebuild is mostly file related to obtain the functionality that you once had or wish to now have...)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

but they will not offer a functional view if the PHP version is beyond the capabilities of the code.

Plugin Contributions

White screen appears when you install the update or modifiers? Check the file permissions.