Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up a Test Site Environment via Wamp (with an existing ZenCart site)

Well, based on that error message for the admin side... The default ZC admin/index.php at line 149 for ZC v1.5.0 (and 1.5.4) is a blank line. So, how has the admin/index.php file been modified to increase the line numbers and what is the code at/around line 149?

It appears that possibly some files from your live site have not made it/or not fully made it to your demo site... In your live site if you goto the admin screen, then tools->developers tool kit, you can search (suggest lower left corner) on money_format to see where the function money_format is provided to then possibly copy that file over from the live site to the demo site to get through this one error... Problem is that if that one file didn't make it, what other file(s) did not?

Oh, also the function money_format is not a default function within ZC, so it was added by some other modification.
    Last edited by mc12345678; 13 Aug 2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: indicate that function is not part of default ZC
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Default Re: Setting up a Test Site Environment via Wamp (with an existing ZenCart site)

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Well, based on that error message for the admin side... The default ZC admin/index.php at line 149 for ZC v1.5.0 (and 1.5.4) is a blank line. So, how has the admin/index.php file been modified to increase the line numbers and what is the code at/around line 149?

It appears that possibly some files from your live site have not made it/or not fully made it to your demo site... In your live site if you goto the admin screen, then tools->developers tool kit, you can search (suggest lower left corner) on money_format to see where the function money_format is provided to then possibly copy that file over from the live site to the demo site to get through this one error... Problem is that if that one file didn't make it, what other file(s) did not?

Oh, also the function money_format is not a default function within ZC, so it was added by some other modification.
    I'll preface this post by saying I ( think I ) got it working!

After trying to resolve the errors from the logs myself I did find that certain things were missing/incorrect about the local database vs. the live one. So I dropped the database, made a new one of the same name, and imported the sql from the live database again. I think that the problem was either on the import, or that running the zencart installation within wamp with this database created conflicts in zencart's "prepping" of the database and the already "prepped" live version copy.

After that I loaded the wamp directory with the site (with a version that was a mirror copy/paste of the live site files with edited configure.php's - instead of overwriting the files setup by a zencart install) and I got what mostly looked like our homepage, with some broken image links. After trying to navigate the site there, I realized that it is meant to be run from the host's root directory and that I have it one level down (it's in wamp/www/MySite/root_files where it should be in wamp/www/root_files for the php to work correctly)

after moving the files to the correct directory (and once again fixing configure.php files to reflect this change) it (seems to) work correctly through Wamp. Taking stock of where I went wrong in getting this working from the get-go, I don't think I ever needed to run a zencart install through Wamp, and the correct importing of the live database was obviously crucial. These are the big marks that stunted my progress and sent me on a path that was much more complicated than this process really needed to be.

Anyway I thank you both for all your assistance and advice and i hope at least one person in a similar situation as I was in can stumble across this thread as I wish I had to get them on the right track.

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RobertH View Post
    I'll preface this post by saying I ( think I ) got it working!

After trying to resolve the errors from the logs myself I did find that certain things were missing/incorrect about the local database vs. the live one. So I dropped the database, made a new one of the same name, and imported the sql from the live database again. I think that the problem was either on the import, or that running the zencart installation within wamp with this database created conflicts in zencart's "prepping" of the database and the already "prepped" live version copy.

After that I loaded the wamp directory with the site (with a version that was a mirror copy/paste of the live site files with edited configure.php's - instead of overwriting the files setup by a zencart install) and I got what mostly looked like our homepage, with some broken image links. After trying to navigate the site there, I realized that it is meant to be run from the host's root directory and that I have it one level down (it's in wamp/www/MySite/root_files where it should be in wamp/www/root_files for the php to work correctly)

after moving the files to the correct directory (and once again fixing configure.php files to reflect this change) it (seems to) work correctly through Wamp. Taking stock of where I went wrong in getting this working from the get-go, I don't think I ever needed to run a zencart install through Wamp, and the correct importing of the live database was obviously crucial. These are the big marks that stunted my progress and sent me on a path that was much more complicated than this process really needed to be.

Anyway I thank you both for all your assistance and advice and i hope at least one person in a similar situation as I was in can stumble across this thread as I wish I had to get them on the right track.

Thanks again.
    The biggest benefit of running the zc_install is getting the paths correct in the configure.php files... After that, well, all the rest of the site surrounding those two files can be delivered to the folder(s) in place of the files that are/were there.

Plugin Contributions

Hi. This is a helpful post.

However, I believe it is not actually dealing with the upgrade versus rebuild problem. I'm not sure if MC had any intention to upgrade or rebuild. It seems not.

I anticipate taking the new includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php files and inserting the name of my database, and substituting those for the configure.php files that were downloaded from my online website.

That's where MC seems to have ended his toil.

If I follow this, my site will still be in Zencart version 1.3.9h. I have installed version 1.5.4 in a Zencart separate database on the WAMP, and thought I would like to try both an upgrade and a rebuild.

For the upgrade, I believe I would need to somehow activate zc-install and choose something that does an upgrade. I expect complete chaos after that, because my database still has many modules that may not work, and many, many products, lots of which are no longer available. I'm not sure whether it would be worthwhile to clean the site of old products and modules not used or no longer compatible with 1.5.4.

For the rebuild, I'm not certain how to differentiate, in the database, between the store itself and the products associated with the store, of which there are many, in addition to which, it's a bilingual site.

I'm also not sure what it means when it is mentioned that a "drop tables" functon should be used. Maybe that is how one drops all products and modules, but I am not sure; and then one would repopulate the products with easy populate.

How far off track am I in trying to visualize an upgrade versus a rebuild? Could the "drop tables" reference be clarified as to what it does or means?

Thanks for further help.

Notageek

Plugin Contributions

So I've done a ZC upgrade one time and personally never care to do it that way ever again. It was almost 4 years ago when ZC 1.5.0 was available and I was pgrading from 1.3.9h. I reviewed the documentation, modified every file that was identified as changed, deleted each deleted file, added each new file and went through each override file to be sure they contained the latest enhancement(s). I had originally installed the software with an auto installer to get all the base setup going (mainly to get the database part addressed) and then was in the process of replacing the files with a set from this website when I discovered that the host was behind the times...

The site while online was not heavily trafficed and while that upgrade process did momentarily take it offline, I'll just say that it was far more trouble than it was worth especially with so many other tools and easier ways to do this. Every other store that I have worked on since then I have done by rebuilding the site to provide an upgraded verson (hence the use of upgrade/rebuild as it provides an upgraded site by rebuilding it.)

As far as the above discussion, I don't believe I was the center of the discussion of needing to either upgrade or rebuild. But I would say easiest to rebuild, generally speaking. Either way, the database is addressed through the same basic process... Further, the previous installation of other plugins generally will not prevent the operation of that store when using core files only... Sure certain features and options won't be available at that time but the store will still operate...

Basically and generally speaking, the database modifications made by your other plugins will not negatively affect the upgrade process of the database. Of course the other plugins will have to be updated and their data appropriately addressed to prevent losing that data if it can not be easily reapplied, but they too should be able to be installed/upgraded without data loss...

So, how does one upgrade the database? like you indicated, upload the zc_install directory to the store, then access the zc_install directory. You will need admin profile credentials to be able to do the database upgrade. You will (should) see notices that your configure.php files are not writeable, this is not a problem and actually is a safety measure to prevent you from completely deleting your database.

As for drop tables, that is an option when working in phpmyadmin. Drop tables as is will literally drop all of the tables from the database leaving an empty location that can be accessed, but has no "individual" data other than the overhead to have a database...

I'm pretty sure that your head is already swimming from all of that, but... Wondered why I might have stopped where I did in explanation? Well that individual didn't express the need to know anything further about the process and seemed to be well on their way to what they needed/wanted... Believe it or not I do try to not write a book at every post. :)

Plugin Contributions

Note to MC: I love books.

This one is also is helpful.

Notageek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12