Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Geek wanting HTML in product description

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    What page are you trying to get html to display
    a producting listing page or a product info page?
    A listing page will have the url similar to this
    Code:
    index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
    A product info page will look similar to this
    Code:
    index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_4
    Can you post a link??
    I want the product info page.

Sorry, I can't post a link since I'm developing in a local Sandbox. The destination domain is serving an active web store which is a POS (but generally functional), and I've been brought in to completely replace the site engine...I can only post links once we go live after the bulk of the other items on my bullet list are addressed to satisfaction.

Plugin Contributions

Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I want the product info page
    That is totally another file - but html should not be stripped from that description at all
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    that is totally another file - but html should not be stripped from that description at all
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_rebreathe View Post
    i've combed through too many posts to count, and each one is either for old versions of zen cart or requires plug-ins...

i want to enter raw html into product descriptions and have it show up on the product page. I don't want wysiwyg, since i don't want more plug-ins to manage and troubleshoot.

I'm looking for where zen cart 1.5.4 strips html tags...k.i.s.s.
    aaaargh! Walking in one direction when I should have been walking in another.

Clearly. The authors (bless them for their work) have been working with this too long, in that there is too much tribal ingrained knowledge they now view as obvious, which is in no way obvious to someone just starting.

Plugin Contributions

too much tribal ingrained knowledge they now view as obvious, which is in no way obvious to someone just starting.
    That is the intention of the FAQ's
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

There's also the Zen Cart Overrides Cheatsheet (https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1393) to aid you.

Just note that the reason that the listing files (which you were looking at) strip the HTML to ensure that the listing pages generate valid HTML; given that only xxx characters of a product's description are displayed, you can't guarantee that you're not breaking in the middle of a tag, e.g. <p>Some stuff ....

Plugin Contributions

Also, if the tags come through, additional CSS formatting associated with the applicable listings page would more than likely be needed if classes and other similar tag attributes were included.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

lat and mc are correct... Because it's possible in admin setting to customise the number of characters displayed in a product listing, you could end up splitting your opening and closing HTML tags, which can render havoc on-screen. The only way to ensure this does not happen is to ensure that your HTML is EXACTLY the same number of characters as the setting in admin - for every product...

But let's move away from geek-stuff and look at how customers are behaving when they browse eCommerce sites... With the increasing use of hand-helds, it is now more important to have as little stuff on-screen as possible. Images are now far more important than whether a string of text is bold, or italic, or green, or in caps... A really good product image in the listing will prompt drill-down to the product info screen - and that's where you provide the detail.

Look at the behaviour of your shoppers first... Do whatever is necessary to get them to checkout as quickly and as easily as possible. Nothing else matters.
    20 years a Zencart User

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12