Yesterday my site worked fine. Today no one can check out.

PayPal Express is the only payment method we take. I'm using an older version of Zen Cart (please don't tell me to upgrade -- first things first, I need to get this working again pronto) and I got an email last night saying I had an older version of SSL that was going to be eliminated soon. I assume they were referring to that whole Poodle thing, which I thought the upgrades had taken care of but I guess not.

This morning when I took a look at the site, I found that customers couldn't checkout -- they got to PayPal's website but were shown a screen that said invalid transaction, then were never redirected to my site.

So I reapplied the Poodle upgrades and reuploaded those pages. Suddenly the checkout pages wouldn't advance -- customers got stuck in a loop that took them from step 3 of the checkout process back to step 2. The logs came back with the error 81002 Unspecified Method Error - Method specified not supported. Part of the logs look like this:

Request Parameters: {SetExpressCheckout}
Array
(
[] =>
)

Response:
Array
(
[ACK] => Failure
[L_ERRORCODE0] => 81002
[L_SHORTMESSAGE0] => Unspecified Method
[L_LONGMESSAGE0] => Method Specified is not Supported
[L_SEVERITYCODE0] => Error
[CURL_ERRORS] =>
)

I disabled SSL and then disabled PayPal Express and installed PayPal Standard, which seemed to solve the problem -- payments were taken but orders weren't fed back to my admin. Suddenly they just disappeared.

GRRR!!!

I'm on Dreamhost and they don't seem to know what's going on. I called PayPal and got the same thing. Suddenly a site that's been running fine for going on 5 years has up and stopped working overnight. I've read and re-read the forums and tried everything I could (short of upgrading to the latest and greatest version) to see if I can't fix things.

Can anyone help me patch it back together again? Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I'm this close to just saving the database, deleting the whole site, uploading a fresh install, and trying to see if I can't load my database into it and go from there. But would that even work?

So frustrated ...