Thread: Helping Hand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Helping Hand?

I'd like to jump in and give you guys a hand with v1.6 development. I saw some open issues on Github. Should I just dive in and sort out issues where needed... or how do you prefer us to help out?

https://github.com/zencart/zencart/issues

And, if I have ideas for new features or need to report bugs, then where should I do that? I saw some forum threads on here, but I assume it's better to report issues on Github instead?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Helping Hand?

No response from anyone? Is it safe to assume that you don't need any help then?

If that is *not* the case, then please let me (and others) know how we can lend a hand.

Plugin Contributions

So I saw the OP and flagged it to follow, interested. In whatever direction it would/could take... As a contributor in my own way I would say it is contrary to think that open source software doesn't need the assistance of others... That said, I believe there are posts, possibly in the forum associated with ZC 1.6.0 or I have seen elsewhere a post about how to "jump onboard" with the collaboration to support the release and development of this version. One of the actions I think was to PM DrByte and a second individual that I don't want to errantly state and cause issues... Two names come to mind, but because I am not sure, leave it to the above...

If you take a look at some of the recent discussions in the bugs section, there is some description/explanation at least on addressing some of the issues... Further, I am aware that there is some location at which there is "healthy" discussion about resolving issues and plans for ZC 1.6.0... Being busy with other things, I personally have not sought to get involved yet as I have plenty on my plate for the current state and trying to offer what computer time I have to accomplish that let alone dig into the next level.

Hopefully you can turn that desire to do something into stepping up and doing so... As is sometimes said, give it a shot, if a mistake is made learn from it and move on, backup and restore as necessary. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

More information is available at the forum post: Zen Cart GitHub Repository

I'd say "go for it". And remember to be patient after submitting a pull request (can sometimes take awhile for enough people to review the changes - which is required before they are accepted).

I would suggest letting others know if you decide to take on a particular change (on GitHub). I'd also recommend creating create unit (and other) tests early in the process.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your replies. I did browse around the forum to find answers, but I found conflicting info since Dr Byte asked for bug reports via the forum on his "sticky" post, but I see a lot of discussion and reported issues on Github. So I wanted to get a read on the latest and greatest before putting my hands into the wrong pie.

Thanks also for the link to the Github thread. I hadn't seen that before... perhaps it would help to make that "sticky" so it stays visible to developers. It is a couple years old, so I'm hoping that it is still relevant. I just found this one too which outlines the steps to become a Contributor:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....-Collaboration

So I'll dive into Github and see how it goes. It would be great if one of the main contributors could comment on this thread to be sure we're all on the right page. I'm sure it would confirm things for a lot of other people that are interested in helping too.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jackie.taferner View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I did browse around the forum to find answers, but I found conflicting info since Dr Byte asked for bug reports via the forum on his "sticky" post, but I see a lot of discussion and reported issues on Github. So I wanted to get a read on the latest and greatest before putting my hands into the wrong pie.

Thanks also for the link to the Github thread. I hadn't seen that before... perhaps it would help to make that "sticky" so it stays visible to developers. It is a couple years old, so I'm hoping that it is still relevant. I just found this one too which outlines the steps to become a Contributor:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....-Collaboration

So I'll dive into Github and see how it goes. It would be great if one of the main contributors could comment on this thread to be sure we're all on the right page. I'm sure it would confirm things for a lot of other people that are interested in helping too.
    Well, not sure which sticky is referenced in the first paragraph, but I would hazard to guess that it is more in reference to bugs of currently released versions or possibly issues in 1.6.0 that affect earlier versions as well (at least affecting the latest released version). As to response to this thread, maybe one will come from the core group, but if you have read through some/many of the github issues you ought to see that lhungil is one that is somehow (related to having the time) one of the contributors. :) so, I'd take his advise on that aspect in a heart beat.

As to getting a feel for things? Well, I consider ZC software for the small busness owner (yes works for larger businesses also) that has the desire and drive to get out there. There isn't always an instruction manual on how to be successful and it is different for each niche. Further, like other aspects of the software, put your foot in/out try your best, accept comment and carry on... :) mistakes will be made, but having a good attitude about it, not taking it personal when a comment is provided and it'll all be okay. :) god luck though!
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Well, not sure which sticky is referenced in the first paragraph
    It's the "sticky" at the top of the Code Collaboration forum, "pre-release feedback for 1.5". I see no reference to pre-release feedback for 1.6 anywhere.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/forumdispla...-Collaboration

There's a forum dedicated to v1.6 bugs, but again this seems outdated compared to Github issues, and there's no "official" announcement as to which way to go.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/forumdispla...velopment-Bugs

Sorry to lhungil, I meant no offense! Your contributions are very much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Wonderful, thanks Dr Byte! This is very helpful.

I'll browse through the docs and help wherever I can.

Plugin Contributions

If those links give you an error then try:

https://github.com/zencart/documentation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast