Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Site down - I think it is host but not totally sure

Hi
    My site has been down for 15 minutes.

I can't access it from the admin or front end. The admin says:
    PHP Warning: mysqli_connect(): (08004/1040): Too many connections

The front end says "sorry, error connecting to database".

I went into CPANEL and tried to view the database and get:
    The mysql server is offline.

But there is also a view server status button on the left hand panel of cpanel and when I select that, it shows a green (all is good) light for mysql.

I have an error_log file in my root directory and it says:
    [22-Sep-2015 19:27:53 UTC] PHP Warning: Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
    [01-Oct-2015 03:01:30 UTC] PHP Warning: mysqli_connect(): (08004/1040): Too many connections in /home/thestitc/public_html/includes/classes/db/mysql/query_factory.php on line 62

Is this telling me that "I" have too many connections or the there are two many connections on the server? These messages started about an hour ago.

I am running zencart 1.5.4 and will offer more if this is my problem and not the servers problem. Thank you for any verification.

L

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site down - I think it is host but not totally sure

My site just came back up after almost 2 hours of being down. And all the host said "it should be back up". grrrrrr

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lruskauff View Post
    My site just came back up after almost 2 hours of being down. And all the host said "it should be back up". grrrrrr
    I asked again and it was due to a script they were running looking for a spammer. I just wish my service wasn't down so long.

Plugin Contributions

Hi
    My site has been down for 15 minutes.

I can't access it from the admin or front end. The admin says:

I went into CPANEL and tried to view the database and get:
    The mysql server is offline.

But there is also a view server status button on the left hand panel of cpanel and when I select that, it shows a green (all is good) light for mysql.

[22-Sep-2015 19:27:53 UTC] PHP Warning: Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
    [01-Oct-2015 03:01:30 UTC] PHP Warning: mysqli_connect(): (08004/1040): Too many connections in /home/thestitc/public_html/includes/classes/db/mysql/query_factory.php on line 62

Is this telling me that "I" have too many connections or the there are two many connections on the server? These messages started about an hour ago.

I am running zencart 1.5.4 and will offer more if this is my problem and not the servers problem. Thank you for any verification.

L
    Huh, I thought I posted this earlier, but apparently in trying to find my related post I abandoned this one... Oops.

While it appears that the issue has been resolved now, would like to point out that the first log is dated some 8+ days ago. As to the too many connections... While I know I once caused such a problem by the way I incorrectly wrote a piece of code using the results of a sql query by testing if I was at the last record, but forgot to move to the next record before testing again. Result? Infinite loop until some other timeout kicked in.

How I addressed it for future such mistakes/conditions was to setup and use rotational database credentials activated by time interval such that the maximum outage time would/should only be the duration of the one window of the database user. I found the solution on the forum and in trying to implement it I only partially did so. Couldn't find t but it had to do with rotating database users... Seeing the follow-up post to this it appears it probably wouldn't have helped anyways.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi

Just curious, how many is "Too Many"?

Last month, I saw just shy of 10,000 connections in the who's online screen by something going through an Israeli server. It really slowed things down to a crawl but no errors. PhpMyAdmin showed CPU steady on 100%, still had RAM to spare. No database errors other than the ones that are always present...

Since upgrading to zc1.5.4, the database server seems to get restarted every couple of weeks or so instead of every 3-4 months with prior versions 1.5.3 & 1.3.9h.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Well they didn't totally admit is was their fault, their wording was:

It is most unlikely that it has anything to do with what you did

The "var" disk reached capacity most likely due to a script we were running to track email offenders
    An oversight on our part but we did track down the account that was being used for spamming
    What ever happened to the good old "Sorry". I try to always start with "sorry" when I screw up.

MC12345678: What do you mean the original was dated 8 days ago? I see "30 Sep 2015" on my screen. But I was wondering why it wasn't showing up in the newly posted posts. This happened with another post???

As to the issue, my site was down for almost 2 hours. That is way too long I think. I'm glad they found where the spam was coming from (figures I was the one who reported the spam issue too). But....

I was up in the air not knowing if it was something in that link I added, which I couldn't check because it was in the database. And I couldn't access it. I think getting in would have helped me though. Then I could have seen there was nothing wrong with it.

RixStix: Where do you find how many connections are being made? Is there something in CPANEL I haven't found (or may not have the access to)?

Thank you both.

L

Plugin Contributions

Well they didn't totally admit is was their fault, their wording was:

What ever happened to the good old "Sorry". I try to always start with "sorry" when I screw up.

MC12345678: What do you mean the original was dated 8 days ago? I see "30 Sep 2015" on my screen. But I was wondering why it wasn't showing up in the newly posted posts. This happened with another post???

As to the issue, my site was down for almost 2 hours. That is way too long I think. I'm glad they found where the spam was coming from (figures I was the one who reported the spam issue too). But....

I was up in the air not knowing if it was something in that link I added, which I couldn't check because it was in the database. And I couldn't access it. I think getting in would have helped me though. Then I could have seen there was nothing wrong with it.

RixStix: Where do you find how many connections are being made? Is there something in CPANEL I haven't found (or may not have the access to)?

Thank you both.

L
    [01-Oct-2015 03:01:30 UTC] PHP
    What happened wth another post was that I at one point had posted that I had had difficulty following posted instructions and/or that they were wrong. Within a few minutes I realized that I hadn't followed the instructions and posted that information. It now appears that the thread was "cleaned up" and therefore me finding the related post becomes a little more difficult than lookng at posts had initiated. Nothing more meant by it.

Plugin Contributions

Oh, I thought u meant MY post was dated.....ok clear now.

Plugin Contributions

L
    I try not to read anything into the stats. It's one of those thing where a little info, interpretted incorrectly could be a dangerous thing. The "Advisor" indicates tuning could be useful as well as too many table joins without indexes.

These stats will be pretty much useless if you are on a shared server.

cPanel
    phpMyAdmin
    Status Tab
    Several Sub-tabs: Server, Query Stats, All status variables, Monitor, Advisor

Monitor tab. Mini, realtime graphs for:
    questions
    connections/processes
    Traffic Mb/Gb
    System CPU ussage
    System memory
    System swap
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    I try not to read anything into the stats. It's one of those thing where a little info, interpretted incorrectly could be a dangerous thing. The "Advisor" indicates tuning could be useful as well as too many table joins without indexes.

These stats will be pretty much useless if you are on a shared server.

cPanel
    phpMyAdmin
    Status Tab
    Several Sub-tabs: Server, Query Stats, All status variables, Monitor, Advisor

Monitor tab. Mini, realtime graphs for:
    questions
    connections/processes
    Traffic Mb/Gb
    System CPU ussage
    System memory
    System swap
    The thing I have yet to figure out is if that data represents only my stats or the stats of everyone using the server... Seems to me that it is everyone (when all resources are not uniquely assigned). Otherwise some of the data indicates some serious issues. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast