Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Advice on Upgrading from v139h to v154

Hi Frank,

Thank you. Your advice is very logical! I really appreciate it.

So since I will be working on the new site in a separate server, I think I can make all the mistakes I can make on it without disturbing the original site which is on another server. Once I have worked out the kinks on the new server, it would be a matter of pointing the domain to the new location.'

It would also be less stressful for me this way as I am not touching the original site in any way other than to export the database briefly to work on in another location.

I know you recommend the local copy first. I've gone that route before and always seem to have problems once I upload the files to the server. I find better success in working in the same environment it will be functioning on.

Thanks..and I am sure to be back with more questions once I get started again. It has been such a long time since I worked on my original stores, it is like relearning everything all over again.

Plugin Contributions

I leave the process of discovery to the one searching. Personally, since in the process of upgrading, a new database would need to be created somewhere, if in that process the default zc store was installed, then the database exported in a create "style" then after the upgrade, the new database was exported in the same manner, a simple text comparison tool would identify the differences includng different tables and differences in the tables...

To simplify the filesize issues, the data of each could be removed or the exports could include only structure, whatever is desired to be seen or "discovered". From there the sql can be developed to account for the differences to be removed if needed... No need to go back through all of the "notes" that may or may not exist. And if a question exists about the need for the field(s) or table(s) to be removed then the developers toolkit in the admin->tools section is yet again your friend.

Otherwise, yeah have a functional store with a slightly bloated database if all is left alone...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowertami View Post
    Hi Frank,

Thank you. Your advice is very logical! I really appreciate it.

So since I will be working on the new site in a separate server, I think I can make all the mistakes I can make on it without disturbing the original site which is on another server. Once I have worked out the kinks on the new server, it would be a matter of pointing the domain to the new location.'

It would also be less stressful for me this way as I am not touching the original site in any way other than to export the database briefly to work on in another location.

I know you recommend the local copy first. I've gone that route before and always seem to have problems once I upload the files to the server. I find better success in working in the same environment it will be functioning on.

Thanks..and I am sure to be back with more questions once I get started again. It has been such a long time since I worked on my original stores, it is like relearning everything all over again.
    Important to understand in the above process which appears hinted at but not outright identified, is that when you are working on the new site yes you can make all the mistakes without affect on your store, but while working on the upgrade the store is still ticking along.

Because of this, you want to "remember" (make notes) about what was changed about the database and any new installs that require sql commands (some have them. In their files) and when you go to make your new fileset live, upgrade the database and then touch it the same way.

I will usually create a sql file along the way to do this "all at once" to be used for the live site after testing it on the development version.

Plugin Contributions

Ok good people of zen cart, please help me out.

I have exported my old database and have successfully imported the database into the new server.

I am looking at the tables on the old database and am able to identify tables that were on modules which I want to get rid of...e.g wishlist and links manager etc.

I want to drop the table permanently to get rid of it. I tried to select the items and delete.. not sure what I have done but the table is still there.

How do I drop the table permanently?

Trying not to stress myself out so doing it slowly and surely. Thank you guys!!!

Plugin Contributions

If you've dropped a table in the database but it's still there, it is possible that the associated plugin has an admin-level auto-installer that is resurrecting those deleted tables and other configuration items.

Plugin Contributions

Ok good people of zen cart, please help me out.

I have exported my old database and have successfully imported the database into the new server.

I am looking at the tables on the old database and am able to identify tables that were on modules which I want to get rid of...e.g wishlist and links manager etc.

I want to drop the table permanently to get rid of it. I tried to select the items and delete.. not sure what I have done but the table is still there.

How do I drop the table permanently?

Trying not to stress myself out so doing it slowly and surely. Thank you guys!!!
    When you say select the items, are you selecting rows of data in the table being deleted, or are you selecting tables in the database that are to be dropped? My interpretation of the above was rows of data in a table not the table itself.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    If you've dropped a table in the database but it's still there, it is possible that the associated plugin has an admin-level auto-installer that is resurrecting those deleted tables and other configuration items.
    Nods in agreement.

It is always wise to remove files/code first when uninstalling an unwanted plugin. Files call/create tables or make amendments to existing tables but not vice versa.

Many plugins have uninstall instructions, best to carefully follow these instructions.

Plugin Contributions

Yes I was removing data from table and trying to delete the table after.

I must be doing something wrong because I remember dropping tables before and was successfully able to remove it. Can't remember what exactly I did then.

I do no have zencart installed yet. I have just transferred database and am cleaning it up before installing zencart.

Plugin Contributions

Yes I was removing data from table and trying to delete the table after.

I must be doing something wrong because I remember dropping tables before and was successfully able to remove it. Can't remember what exactly I did then.

I do no have zencart installed yet. I have just transferred database and am cleaning it up before installing zencart.
    There are multiple ways while within phpmyadmin to drop a table, but deletion of all data within the table does not drop it. That is equivalent to truncating it.

If not mistaken, while viewing the "contents" of the table, there is an option in the upper row to drop. Otherwise, when a list of the tables is presented on the right side, there should be a clickable link to drop the table, or the checkbox (for only the tables to be affected) checked and then the delete/drop option selected along the bottom row of the screen. Another option in mind is to use SQL to drop table xxx, where xxx is the full name of the table which would include the prefix if one was used in the original database setup.

As said, there are many ways to drop a table and I'm pretty sure I've missed some, but if the database is not referenced by anything that auto-generates (self reservation) the table, then one of the above (or others missed) should remove (drop) the table from the database.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much for the guidance. A senior moment there, I forgot that it had that feature!!

Also I found a way to print a list of tables from my other website so I just compared which tables need to go and which to retain from there. Makes it easier to NOT delete those that are on the original list.

Ok. Now I have to upload new zencart and do the upgrade (for purposes of the database upgrade). I am not upgrading the site itself since it will be a fresh install. No modules.

Am I going about it correct?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123