Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Advice on Upgrading from v139h to v154

Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    Yep, and either of the 2 lets you choose your PHP version. Haven't used them though for more than 6 years since I swapped all my PC's to Linux.

Plugin Contributions

Hello all,

I use IXwebhosting and have for years. It is the reason I found zencart really.
    But they offer only manual upgrade and version 1.3.9e....................... They have one great support chat staff..........
    I will tell them to upgrade if they can.

Meanwhile I am so scared to lose the database and would do total clean install as I haven't modified to much yet anyway and actually lost some stuff I switched off/deleted while learning the system.

My biggest fear is having to re enter even the only 7 products and the attributes manually again............ That is harder than a fresh install for sure. If I knew what to sql from existing database I could run a droptable/replace/insert or whatever on new database I am thinking and the rest is pretty easy to restore the store to where it is now.

ANy advice????

Sincerely,
    Mike

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ParseRaider View Post
    Hello all,

I use IXwebhosting and have for years. It is the reason I found zencart really.
    But they offer only manual upgrade and version 1.3.9e....................... They have one great support chat staff..........
    I will tell them to upgrade if they can.

Meanwhile I am so scared to lose the database and would do total clean install as I haven't modified to much yet anyway and actually lost some stuff I switched off/deleted while learning the system.

My biggest fear is having to re enter even the only 7 products and the attributes manually again............ That is harder than a fresh install for sure. If I knew what to sql from existing database I could run a droptable/replace/insert or whatever on new database I am thinking and the rest is pretty easy to restore the store to where it is now.

ANy advice????

Sincerely,
    Mike
    Already answered on the other thread where this "issue" was described... There are these instructions to support the rebuild that would be necessary, but pretty much the same as above, export all tables (there are some settings recommended by ZC to ensure that import will be a breeze), then if/when a new database is required to be used, import all of that data into a blank (no tables with the same table names) database, perform a zc_install upgrade only of the database to bring it to whatever version of ZC is newer than the previous. As for manual upgrade, well that's pretty much the path suggested to go because ZC does not have an automatic program to install and anyone that offers an automatic installation may have also modified the ZC files which could lead to operational issues... But, the database upgrade portion of the process for the ZC core database part is painless...

If you have kept your modifications in the template override files and outside of the classic folder, then for the most part the core code could be replaced, the template files verified to be up-to-date with the normal ZC template code and then away ya' go. :)

See this post about upgrading.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

So I checked my BlueHost account and found that I can actually host several sites on it. So that means I can transfer my other site on GoDaddy to BlueHost rather than upgrade it from there.

What I would like to do is to start afresh rather than upgrade. I have downloaded 1.5.4 and will be adding this to the site along with database. If I want to just carry over the tables that I have created for the product descriptions, products only. No customer info. Is it just a matter of exporting the tables associated with products?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowertami View Post
    .....If I want to just carry over the tables that I have created for the product descriptions, products only. No customer info. Is it just a matter of exporting the tables associated with products?
    If you just export/import 'some' tables then you are setting yourself up for lots of headaches. There are many cross-references which need to be observed, I would not do that.

My approach would be to install a fresh version of 1.5.4, backup the new DB then drop all tables. Next I'd import the old 1.3.9h DB and run a DB upgrade using zc_install. This way you preserve the integrity of all tables. You can always delete old customer data later.

Plugin Contributions

So I checked my BlueHost account and found that I can actually host several sites on it. So that means I can transfer my other site on GoDaddy to BlueHost rather than upgrade it from there.

What I would like to do is to start afresh rather than upgrade. I have downloaded 1.5.4 and will be adding this to the site along with database. If I want to just carry over the tables that I have created for the product descriptions, products only. No customer info. Is it just a matter of exporting the tables associated with products?
    There's maany tables associated with products, what is the reason to drop all of your customer data if everything else central to the store will remain the same?

You would be dooing a rebuild which in a way is an upgrade, but an upgrade of the database, a new set of files to host the previous store....

http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Also: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...fferent-server

But really should move or upgrade, not both just in case...
    Last edited by mc12345678; 14 Oct 2015 at 11:42 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Yes that makes sense.

So in order to know which tables I need to drop because of some outdated module. Is there a list of tables for a fresh install of zen cart database that I can compare with?

Plugin Contributions

Yes that makes sense.

So in order to know which tables I need to drop because of some outdated module. Is there a list of tables for a fresh install of zen cart database that I can compare with?
    Most up-to-date "list" is in the install package there is sql that is core to ZC and at every insert table of the file is, well, one of the defined tables. :)

Plugin Contributions

Yes that makes sense.

Let us look at this in a more realistic way:

Whatever you have stored in your DB needs to be 'called' by code in your file system before it takes effect.

So, if your ZC 1.5.4 is a fresh install it's code will *not* call any outdated DB entries. These outdated entries are just sitting there and doing nothing. As a consequence there is nothing to worry about other than having a bloated DB. But the imported and upgraded DB will work fine with your new 1.5.4 installation.

Next, not many modules are actually creating new tables. Some mods modify tables in a sense that their install SQL creates extra fields in existing core tables - and they are difficult to find if we don't keep a detailed record of mods which we install at some stage.

My approach: on the old site (1.3.9h) try to locate any mods which have been installed, refer back to the readme file of those mods to see how to uninstall them and then 'kick them out'. Do that for each old module which you want to get rid of. When done you have a reasonably clean 1.3.9h DB which you can import into your new 1.5.4 system.

But beware: in any case, whatever you decide to do, make sure you have backups of everything. And once again (see my posts above) it is best to do this on a local installation and not on a production server.

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Most up-to-date "list" is in the install package there is sql that is core to ZC and at every insert table of the file is, well, one of the defined tables. :)
    Ummmmhhh ... this makes absolutely no sense to me. SQl that is core to ZC does not give us any idea whatsoever which mods may have been installed *unless* you want to send the OP down the path of making very tedious comparisons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast