Hi,

It has been a really long time since I last posted here. I'm on a very old version of Zencart v139h which was working fine for me until lately got into trouble with some hack attempt which I have fixed.

But now I am looking into finally doing the upgrade to a more secure version.

My hosting is GoDaddy and the php version I currently have is 5.0 on v139h.

I'd like advise on how best to approach the upgrade since I would have to upgrade the php first.

Will it function OK if I go ahead and upgrade it to php 5.3 while I work on the upgrade version in a separate folder? That is my first concern.

If that works then I can start working on the upgrade. Unfortunately Godaddy does not have 5.4 so I can only upgrade to v1.53 at best.

This was my first site so I was a little gungho in adding a lot of modules which I regret now and would like to start anew by just stripping it to only the essentials.

I'd like to carry over just products, product descriptions, bare essentials. Customers will have to register all over again on the new site. Or maybe I can carry over customer info but not product purchase?

Can I carry over database (restore it), go into the database, remove all non essential tables and just leave the product information then do the upgrade using the new zencart files? That way I do not have to mess with comparing files from old to new. It will be a new site except the product portion will be pre populated.

That is my theory for now but I know a lot of you out there are more techy than I am and may see the holes where I can't. So need your advice if this is a good game plan or if there is a better way to go about it. Remember, my goal is to get to a new version, and try and get only the essential product info carried over.

Thank you for your help in advance.