Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading from 1.39h to 1.54 ----These are my plans

I have my 1.39h at www.gelcandlecompany.com and I'm finally upgrading.
    My new 1.54 site with Sheffield blue template is at www.gelcandlecompany.com/demo

This is what I plan to do for my upgrade. Edit configure file on my new demo site to point to my 1.39h database and run zcinstall and upgrade database.

I am afraid to run this and screw up my original database. Is it possible I run a copy of my 1.39h database to be sure the upgrade would be ok? If so how? By creating a new awl database and importing a zip file?

Many Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrading from 1.39h to 1.54 ----These are my plans

There are several ways to accomplish this, and yes, coonsidering that you have/will have a separate location to try it out, you want to try/test before doing so on the live database...

First of all, doing database only upgrade on the database will place the store in maintenance mode. This update on the live database really should only be done when ready to place the new version of the store online.

So, following instructions such as: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

You would want to create a new database as part of the 1.5.4 install, and import the copy of your live database and then do a zc_install database only upgrade as part of seeing what all will be involved when ready to place zc 1.5.4 online. The new database (as part of installation/generation of new configure.php files) should have the same DB_PREFIX as your live store to make all things easier to do.

As for the database backup/restore, you could use the database backup plugin on both sites to backup theold and restore the new... You could from phpmyadmin export the live database and then import the live to the backup site usng the same reverse process... There is a FAQ on "backing up your site" that applies. http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?144
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    There are several ways to accomplish this, and yes, coonsidering that you have/will have a separate location to try it out, you want to try/test before doing so on the live database...

First of all, doing database only upgrade on the database will place the store in maintenance mode. This update on the live database really should only be done when ready to place the new version of the store online.

So, following instructions such as: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

You would want to create a new database as part of the 1.5.4 install, and import the copy of your live database and then do a zc_install database only upgrade as part of seeing what all will be involved when ready to place zc 1.5.4 online. The new database (as part of installation/generation of new configure.php files) should have the same DB_PREFIX as your live store to make all things easier to do.

As for the database backup/restore, you could use the database backup plugin on both sites to backup theold and restore the new... You could from phpmyadmin export the live database and then import the live to the backup site usng the same reverse process... There is a FAQ on "backing up your site" that applies. http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?144
    When you mention 'import the copy of your live database and then do a zc_install database'
    Do I import that onto my new 1.54 store when the default zen products are already there?

I think this is where I messed up, instead I just imported into a newly named database not the on that's already there.
    Is that what I was doing wrong?
    thanks

i

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by spawnie69 View Post
    When you mention 'import the copy of your live database and then do a zc_install database'
    Do I import that onto my new 1.54 store when the default zen products are already there?

I think this is where I messed up, instead I just imported into a newly named database not the on that's already there.
    Is that what I was doing wrong?
    thanks

i
    Well, hard to say that any one thing was wrong, but it seems that there were some changes made without applicable followthrough.

If imported the database to a newly named blank database, then the configure.php files (includes/configure.php and YOUR_SECRET_ADMIN/includes/configure.php) should be referencing that new database before doing the zc_install database only upgrade.

If follow the guidance of this site for exporting a database, then part of that export should include the commands to drop the tables that are being imported before then recreating the table(s) if the table exists... (Or if the database is blank as in not having the default zen products nor any equivalent table to the old store then the database can simply be imported.)

So it's mostly about making sure that all things line up to provide the desired result... The configure.php files need to point to the database that is to be used and the database being used needs to have been upgraded to the level of the code that is to access the database. At some point during the import of the old database to the new database, the suggested method is to make sure that the table being imported gets dropped either as part of the commands of the imported database or before the database is imported...

Plugin Contributions

Gotcha, I think got it now. I should of dropped the tables since I had the stock store items. thank you explaining it that way.
    I just got my demo store going again (reverted to working backups).

Since I have the demo products in there what sql statement can I use to drop the tables before I import?

Then I plan on zc_install database only upgrade.

thanks again!

Plugin Contributions

I imagine I need to scroll down in myphp admin after selecting the new database at /demo2 and in the structure tab scroll down to the bottom and check off 'select all' then use the pull down to select Drop to drop all the tables. Sorry to keep bugging you guys, thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by spawnie69 View Post
    I imagine I need to scroll down in myphp admin after selecting the new database at /demo2 and in the structure tab scroll down to the bottom and check off 'select all' then use the pull down to select Drop to drop all the tables. Sorry to keep bugging you guys, thanks.
    Good imagination! :) That should do it. Could also go back and export the original database again and ensure that the box is checked that adds the drop table if exists statement into the exported file. This will place a drop table statement just before the table is then created in the same file.

Plugin Contributions

Well I got it to work!

The demo site www.gelcandlecompany.com/demo2 is working on the updated database.
    Looks like images are not showing, will paste images from older site to remedy that. I need to fix a few things at the site then I plan to drop my /demo2 folder to / and change configure files eliminating demo2 so I can run live when I am ready.

Once again thank you so much mc12345678

Plugin Contributions

Coongrats... Couple of quick notes about proposed plan. If going to move the directory to the root, change the configure.php files first... Yes you won't be able to test anymore, but the files will be set at the getgo for the new location... As for the database upgrade just performed, understand that if your live site is still up (hoopefully so), you don't want to lose the data collected between when the current backup was made and when the updated files are applied... Start noting what you are doing to the database (if anything) and be prepared to repeat it on the live site...

Another thing about moving the directory, if you have control of the directory to which your uri points, you could change that to point at your new directory, then in future upgrades, you can do a little folder renaming and tada the new version is online..(Yes there are some potential pitfalls, but true no matter what is done.) Also, not all hosts offer ths/make it easy to find/do.

Also, remember as far as "dropping down the directory" will want to be sure it's not an overwrite, but instead a clean shift...

Just a few unasked for suggestions.