Plugin Contributions

Default Attribute image switch at selection

I have scanned the forums for an hour or two and looked at the plugins but I feel as if i am missing something.

What I really want is for my attribute swatch to change the primary product image when selected; but in looking at a few people who asked and received no responses, I am assuming this functionality does not exist. I am guessing this question gets asked often, yet my forum searches yielded no answers. I must be using the wrong terms.

How about the attribute image change in the cart once the item is selected? My client sells jewelery and there are different finishes. If the primary image is silver plated, but they select the gold plated (which the image shows via the attibutes image option just nice) why cannot the image in the cart show the gold attribute image instead of the default silver plated image. Its confusing to visitors when the attibute totally changes the look of the product, yet the image does not update to show the selection.

There were a few plugins that look like they are a few years old, but is there anything new I an implement that will change the image if an attrbute with image is selected? If not after selection, at least after its added to the cart? If someone selects a gold jewelery it would be nice to show a gold item in the image.

This is not to bad-mouth Zen Cart, I love Zen Cart and think you are by far the best. But several other carts have image updates by attributes so why is this not yet built into Zen Cart? Its the way modern stores are displaying so you would think the best software would offer this. Perhaps it has to do with the complexity of the cart platform I don't know. Just wondering.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Attribute image switch at selection

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    I have scanned the forums for an hour or two and looked at the plugins but I feel as if i am missing something.

What I really want is for my attribute swatch to change the primary product image when selected; but in looking at a few people who asked and received no responses, I am assuming this functionality does not exist. I am guessing this question gets asked often, yet my forum searches yielded no answers. I must be using the wrong terms.

How about the attribute image change in the cart once the item is selected? My client sells jewelery and there are different finishes. If the primary image is silver plated, but they select the gold plated (which the image shows via the attibutes image option just nice) why cannot the image in the cart show the gold attribute image instead of the default silver plated image. Its confusing to visitors when the attibute totally changes the look of the product, yet the image does not update to show the selection.

There were a few plugins that look like they are a few years old, but is there anything new I an implement that will change the image if an attrbute with image is selected? If not after selection, at least after its added to the cart? If someone selects a gold jewelery it would be nice to show a gold item in the image.

This is not to bad-mouth Zen Cart, I love Zen Cart and think you are by far the best. But several other carts have image updates by attributes so why is this not yet built into Zen Cart? Its the way modern stores are displaying so you would think the best software would offer this. Perhaps it has to do with the complexity of the cart platform I don't know. Just wondering.
    Couple of things mixed in with the original question...

Seeing that you have been investigating the possibility of using attributes and there has been discussion of Stock by attributes, the out-of-the-box configuration should support image swapping if you are using a single attribute like described above (Metal type/Color: Silver, Gold, Bronze, etc...). There is an older plugin that can be adapted to support this type of image swapping when more than one attribute (option Name) is used with a product but in the last couple of minutes I haven't been able to readily find it again. The functionality is expected to become available in SBA; however, there are a number of conditions for which to account: ie. are images only swapped based on a change of a single option name? How does accumulation of selections affect the chosen image? If an image is dependent on multiple attribute options, then do they need to be selected in a sequence or just be the selected and therefore sufficient to show the image, etc...

As to "base inclusion" of such option, well... Notice the number of different software versions that are out there, also notice the different types of options on how to work with images and what to expect... Popup, swap, hover over, etc... Which of these should be included in the base software??? The answer has been predominantly make the core software capable of handling whatever is desired and allow a plugin to provide the desired functionality. Ideally that plugin will play nice with other plugins, but it can be expanded upon to provide the next new feature, capability, etc... And yes it seems that the cart, the invoice, the packing slip, etc... either do or can have that image and well, it can be added to whatever/wherever else desired/needed.

So is it in the base installation? No.. Is it possible or available? Yes... Do you want it installed? Yes... Does everyone (largest majority of users) want it in their store? Doesn't seem so, but I have no empirical data...

A sort of difference between ZC and (some of) the others is that a baseline is provided with what seems like a maximum amount of adaptability... It functions, it offers security, etc... what is done with it from that point? Whatever is desired/considered necessary to provide the experience desired and to make a sale happen... The software doesn't target a specific audience other than basically those wanting to provide a sales platform for whatever product they have to sell...

As to response? Well, it wouldn't surprise me if conversations went to PM to support the customization(s) desired... I thought though that there still was a plugin that is/was functional with ZC 1.5.4 as the files modified/applicable hadn't really changed in all that time and that the software offered the requested option(s).

Just some thoughts.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Found it... Was looking at using Attribute Image replaces Main Product image on selection which with some minor modification has been previously used with SBA 1.5.4 (ZC 1.5.3/1.5.4) to provide the same result. Even though the package was developed for/on ZC 1.3.7 the principles behind its operation still work on newer versions of ZC...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

mc12345678 thank you for your explaination as to why this feature is not included. I noticed even stinking Wordpress store has the feature, so I had to wonder. Then again Wordpress does not have the complex attribute combinations of Zen Cart. I could see OS Commerce, Prestashop or Magento as offering image sway as they are shopping cart software but Wordpress? Ouch. Your reasoning makes sense.

So if its a simple one attribute image switch Stock by Attributes module will do the trick? But for more complex needs the second older module will work. You mentioned minor modifications to this module "Attribute Image replaces Main Product image on selection" do you mean I have to recode PHP? I can tweak HTML and CSS but PHP is out of my expertise. Just wondering what kind of modifications I would need to make to get this module to work for my needs.

I appreciate for your time and reply.

Plugin Contributions

MC,

I am sorry but you said the out of the box configuration should support image swapping with just one attribute. I was hoping that was the case, please see one of my product pages here: http://www.aviationinsignia.com/inde...&products_id=1

Don't know if its my template, I do have dynamic price updater but I do not see an image switch happening.