Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why I'm Quitting Zen Cart

IDK I been using the same USPS tools on my cart since 10 years with no changes and the charges are always spot on. I just offered feed back and suggestions. Nothing more nothing less. If I could go to admin panel and click update USPS mod when it was updated or have the mod itself check for updates I would so be on board with the concept you are laying out, that is something that someone like me can understand. lol

I tried to just put in the USPS mod as no core files are changed and IDK what or why but it wouldnt work. However Ive decided not to use that as an option on this site for right now anyways so its not life or death.
    Last edited by D4rKNeSs; 14 Oct 2019 at 05:49 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Incense Sticks

Plugin Contributions

have the mod itself check for updates
    This is already part of the future plugin framework specification.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

That will be much nice.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Incense Sticks

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Why I'm Quitting Zen Cart

Quote Originally Posted by D4rKNeSs View Post
    That will be much nice.
    I think everybody would agree it would be fantastic to have a one click upgrade to Zen Cart, however, there are also certain situations where a one click upgrade might overwrite something that has be customised and implemented into the cart. One click upgrades aren't always the best thing and they still need treating carefully. Otherwise you can take a full site down. So files still need checking and backups still need to be taken regardless of how easy a one click upgrade might seem. It's easy to criticise the way Zen Cart upgrades are done, but at the same time, you wouldn't want to click the nuclear bomb button and have it destroy all that carefully produced customisation work would you?
    Nick Smith - Venture Design and Print
    https://venturedesignandprint.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

Why thank you for the software upgrade lesson but I am well aware one click doesn't always work however it doesn't work at all if its not offered now does it and Ive read and noted ty again. however I got my fist web site over 21 years ago so I think I know these things. I am glad you schooled me in software installation as if I couldnt have figured out this wisdom on my own. Since I just paid a coder to upgrade a site with one click installs as more and more mods = more and more chance the auto installs won't work right which again is one of the reasons why core components as shipping and payment are built in or should be. Again so much thanks I will sleep good with this wisdom. I also had to laugh that you labeled it criticizing but I labeled it as offering suggestions and feedback. Maybe users should just learn to keep their mouth shuts uh?

Plugin Contributions

red flag Re: Why I'm Quitting Zen Cart

Why thank you for the software upgrade lesson but I am well aware one click doesn't always work however it doesn't work at all if its not offered now does it and Ive read and noted ty again. however I got my fist web site over 21 years ago so I think I know these things. I am glad you schooled me in software installation as if I couldnt have figured out this wisdom on my own. Since I just paid a coder to upgrade a site with one click installs as more and more mods = more and more chance the auto installs won't work right which again is one of the reasons why core components as shipping and payment are built in or should be. Again so much thanks I will sleep good with this wisdom. I also had to laugh that you labeled it criticizing but I labeled it as offering suggestions and feedback. Maybe users should just learn to keep their mouth shuts uh?
    Hey I am rolling my eyes at your arrogance my friend. I was only trying to help and give information on why one click upgrades don't always work. It's up to you if you take offence to that. It's not my fault if you can't wind your kneck in and appreciate someone trying to give honest help. Mirrors are great for when you need to take a long hard look at yourself you know ;-)

Plugin Contributions

Oh sorry I didn't see it as help I seen it as criticizing. See how that works? Wind my neck in lol is that like wiping with a paint brush. I love the interwebz, press 6 to collect your prizes!

Plugin Contributions

Oh sorry I didn't see it as help I seen it as criticizing. See how that works? Wind my neck in lol is that like wiping with a paint brush. I love the interwebz, press 6 to collect your prizes!
    - HAHAHA, I guess you don't understand British quotes - basically 'wind your kneck in' means, calm down. Anyway, at least you made me smile hahaha

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

This discussion has gone WAY off track.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Maybe this will help get it back on track. I've had my own frustrations with Zencart, but very few that I couldn't work around. I HATE the WordPress appearance. I can tell in one glance if someone is using WordPress and Woocommerce (or Shopify, which has adopted the same format). For one thing, you have to scroll down endlessly to find all the content on the home page. That really annoys me. I want to see the highlights on the home page and then be able to click straight through to the items I'm interested in--the good old "top down" approach. Perhaps that dates me, but I still think it's the most logical way to present content to a purchaser. I maintain a couple of WordPress commercial sites for other people, and have had to work hard to force them into that format.

In my opinion, most of the other shopping cart systems are set up to allow the most inexperienced person to use them more or less efficiently. To use Zencart really well requires some programming experience (or access to a PHP programmer), and it helps to have some website design and maintenance experience. Those are higher standards but they make it possible to turn out superior results that don't look like a clone of everyone else's site.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast