Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why I'm Quitting Zen Cart

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    I'd never thought about this until you mentioned it ... essentially using the categories as a product filter ... it makes a lot of sense!
    But, if all of the "shoes" are in the category (linked) that has the sub-categories, then wouldn't such a "product filter" exist/be possible and that being a setup chosen by the store owner? Such a process has been discussed elsewhere in the forum and seems to be just another choice to be made about how to present one's store...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by pricediscrimination View Post
    I'm still looking for that perfect accounting software package I can integrate with Zen-Cart - still no luck. I find that the problem is quite often that the accounting packages are lacking proper APIs or just plain closed up and restricted. This is arguable.
    I know of and had integrated an accounting system that works PERFECT with Zen Cart and I can show you the site. You are able to "click a button" and update the ZC site.
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group
    = Your image... our business!
    My contributions: SophyBlue / Sophy Blue-Grey / Mistik / The Bookshelf / Dynamic Sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

I learned recently that when seeking for advice I shouldn't reply using any of the words NO, BUT or HOWEVER; so I'm going to try to reply/comment on your post without using them.
    Update Part 1:
    *It's crazy that clicking a main category does not show the products contained in the subcategories. The point of a category system is to organize, but shouldn't create more clicks than nessecary if the user doesn't want to narrow it down more. If you sell shoes, some are dress and others are trainers, but why can't we just see all the freakin' shoes when clicking Shoes? The point of clicking Shoes was so not to see Shirts in the mix!
    Yes, you are right. Also if you are organizing them in subcategories, why you want them all together when showcasing them to your prospect buyers? It's like having 10 little shelves (or drawers) in your closet for each pair of shoes you have and instead, you just throw them al on the floor of your closet. Instead why not you use the tag "shoe" in all of them and let prospect use the search feature which will bring all the shoes in a single listing?

*To truly get a product listed correctly (SEO, attributes, etc) there are just waaaaaay too many steps and clicks needed. All of this can just be handled in one place. Everything related to an individual product should be editable right there in product.php. Crazy that you have to go there, then adding to multiple categories needs to go to another place, then adding custom meta data needs another place, and forget about adding attributes! That's an entirely different place too. Adding a single product takes 3-5 times longer because of this.
    True. I don't know why even ZC team hasn't inserted yet a "SAVE" button or a "PREVIEW" button (that will take you the the page) and you have to get out of the product insertion page to continue editing. Things that simple are not there, so let's not talk yet about related product listing features. They should be there, at least in tabs:
    Code:
       Product Info   |   Categories   |   Qty. Discount Pricing   |   Attributes   |   Metatags
    *No tagging system. There is just no easy way to link similar products and make them easy to browse. ZC was started before tagging was really popular I guess, but it's really something that is completely nessecary for an eCommerce site. Categories are not enough, especially with the ridiculous problem from point #1 above!
    There's a module for that, and also you can do it with metatags. I always use search feature in sites when I don't find something. If you want to "suggest" similar or related products, you have different cross sell mods.

*Seen it typed to many times here that Google doesn't really care if you have clean keyword filled URLs or not. That is total BS. If that's true, then why is it that a staggering majority of URLs in the search results are SEO friendly? Of course they want to see related terms in the URL. Not to mention that it build trust with anyone going to click the link. Instead of plugins that need updated and break when ZC updates, and have limited configuration, it should be part of the core, no? Even this forum has some keywords stuffed in the URLs - no wonder it's so googlable.
    Maybe just because a lot of people are using them? and they are the ones that actually care about their content too? People don't care about the url size or looks, they care that the link WORKS, and it's what they are looking for, and you offer good enough information and/or interest to buy from you.

*Admin is not mobile friendly. Doesn't anyone check who's online and update their site on the road?
    Supposedly 1.5.5 is. I personally don't check site on the go. When I work, I work from home/office. If I'm out, I'm out, not checking the site. I get email notifications and that's enough for me to keep me posted. I couldn't work from a mobile device anyways; my eyes will suffer.

*How many people actually use Item Weight? Seriously how many of you actually go get your item, put it on a scale, then update Item Weight for your shoppers to see? It's great as an example or filler, but would be nice if you were able to add other things that are more useful for quick editing in product.php.
    I use it, and I have few customers that have used it. Remember that not because you don't use it or need it, means nobody does. For example think about jewelry making wholesale (you know all those little pieces that are sold by weight?).

*The image management system is insane and takes too much work! Just uploading images to a post shouldn't be that many steps.
    True! This should be included in original code. There are alternative to solve that though.

*Templates templates templates (themes themes themes) so hard to find good templates out there with well written code that look even remotely like they were made in the 2000s.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; and you can make with the layout and style whatever you want it to be. If is simple to navigate, I want it and it's an easy and secure checkout, I will get it from you (I don't care of your site looks).

This site was created in Y2000: clasificadosonline.com and if you see hasn't changed much since their launch, it's one of the the most visited and succesful sites in my country; why? because it works, it delivers, it's simple for people to list and to browse. Maybe people like me cares about their looks (being in web design) but that doesn't seem to worry the over 6M monthly visitors.

Also, look at Amazon... how much have they changed their design from the original? What about eBay?

1-why? | 2-was solved on post | 3-why? why would you want more distractions for your buyer?
    IDEAS Girl
    IDEAS Creative Group
    = Your image... our business!
    My contributions: SophyBlue / Sophy Blue-Grey / Mistik / The Bookshelf / Dynamic Sideboxes

Plugin Contributions

Why I am NOT quitting ZenCart

Ok, so I only recently decided that I need to use a platform instead of my old hand made pages. I'm no coder, although my creative side is even worse. Yet despite some things I find should be much simpler and more instinctive, I also find the assistance provided here is pretty damn good, sometimes the solutions are too good because as a non coder, I don't always fully understand how to implement the answers but I have always been provided a solution. You do NOT want to know my thoughts about amazon and their support, I will simply say their staggering arrogance is worthy of doing a trump (see british slang), as for facebook its non existent pfft......

So while it's not easy and I struggle at times & haven't as yet opened zencart to my customers, I am persevering because I know it's a product that works. I checked out a great many websites using zencart before I took the plunge.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I will simply say (Amazon's) staggering arrogance is worthy of doing a trump (see british slang), ...
    I had to Google this because I had never heard this phrase, despite spending 30 years in Canada. Here you go, US Zenners:

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...eaking-of-wind
    That Software Guy. My Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Available for hire - See my ad in Services
    Plugin Moderator, Documentation Curator, Chief Cook and Bottle-Washer.
    Do you benefit from Zen Cart? Then please support the project.

Plugin Contributions

Update Part 1:

• It's crazy that clicking a main category does not show the products contained in the subcategories. The point of a category system is to organize, but shouldn't create more clicks than nessecary if the user doesn't want to narrow it down more. If you sell shoes, some are dress and others are trainers, but why can't we just see all the freakin' shoes when clicking Shoes? The point of clicking Shoes was so not to see Shirts in the mix!
    I know this is quite old, but hopefully not obsolete... Have you seen this? I'm still looking for people who'd like to test it out before I release it as a plugin, so any help would be greatly appreciated...
    For anyone interested to help me out and test the plugin, please PM me for the link so we don't hijack and spam this thread... I really appreciate the help, but we should keep the thread on topic...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you! Will check it out right now. The very fact that this has to be hacked is another reason why this thread was started in the first place. An ecommerce based software that does not even have effective breadcrumbs that help with usability and bounce rate. The category structure is atrocious, and begs users to give up in finding anything to buy. All of these things are SEO basics in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by balihr View Post
    I know this is quite old, but hopefully not obsolete... Have you seen this? I'm still looking for people who'd like to test it out before I release it as a plugin, so any help would be greatly appreciated...
    For anyone interested to help me out and test the plugin, please PM me for the link so we don't hijack and spam this thread... I really appreciate the help, but we should keep the thread on topic...

Plugin Contributions

Update Part 1:

• How many people actually use Item Weight? Seriously how many of you actually go get your item, put it on a scale, then update Item Weight for your shoppers to see? It's great as an example or filler, but would be nice if you were able to add other things that are more useful for quick editing in product.php.
    While you may find it hard to understand why anyone would use Item Weight I find it hard to understand why anyone wouldn't use item weight.

If you are selling a physical item, that item needs to be shipped.

If you are shipping, the cost of shipping is largely dependent on weight.

In order to quote correct real time shipping rates to customers your weights need to be correct (especially if an order contains many individual items all with different rates.)

So yes, when we add products to our sites (there are a couple) we literally weigh them on a scale. We also measure them because we created a custom volume shipping method as well.

Plugin Contributions

While you may find it hard to understand why anyone would use Item Weight I find it hard to understand why anyone wouldn't use item weight.
    If you are selling a physical item, that item needs to be shipped.
    If you are shipping, the cost of shipping is largely dependent on weight.
    In order to quote correct real time shipping rates to customers your weights need to be correct (especially if an order contains many individual items all with different rates.)
    So yes, when we add products to our sites (there are a couple) we literally weigh them on a scale. We also measure them because we created a custom volume shipping method as well.
    Ditto in all respects, I could not have put it better myself...
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

i find it hard to understand how people can not see that no one shopping cart solution can do everything for all stores. attributes for one store are not the same as needed as for another. not every store wants to tell people who manufactured the product they are selling.

one can build an item object and have all of the attributes necessary for that object and then have a nightmare to maintain it; i.e. magento. different stores have different requirements.

if a store sells all of the same items, i.e. t-shirts or wine; each product weighs about the same. so i can see a situation where the need to enter weight is not needed.

i have a client who fastidiously attempts to keep weights accurate because they do quote based on weight. but ensuring that you have accurate weights in the system does NOT ensure accurate rate quoting. perhaps some of you have heard of dimensional weight; for a particular size box, the carrier charges you a minimum weight. so lets say you sell a 15"x24"x2" plastic tray that fits into a box slightly bigger. the tray weighs under 2 lbs; however the dimensional weight is closer to 8 lbs. what weight does one put into the system in order to quote the customer an accurate rate? 8 lbs? okay, lets say they go with 8. another customer orders 2 of said tray. the 2 trays stack very nicely together and fit into the same size box. now, are you quoting them a 16 lb package or a 4 lb package? or what? and a bigger shop with a distribution facility now has packers and who knows if a larger order will fit into 1 box or 2 boxes. and how does one quote that?

for some stores, weight is important. other stores, weight is not.

again, i realize a shopping cart is not a one size fits all. what blows me away is that people complain when they feel that the cart should do exactly what they need, thinking that their needs are the same as the next persons.

best.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast