Plugin Contributions

Default Why is this program so damn difficult?

Although I have been using Zen Cart for the past eight years, and even though I appreciate everyone who contributes to it, and I also realize that it has numerous capabilities and that it is free..,

WHY is it so damn difficult to configure?

I don't want to "re-design the wheel" I just want to sell one!

I know, html, css, java, etc.., but the way this is set up is a "MIGRANE HEADACHE"

"Plugins" are something that you are supposed to upload.., and they work! "Plugins" are not something that you Upload, and have to merge and/or change 20 files and then troubleshoot and then re-rewrite the files!

Why aren't, at least, the most popular "plugins" included under the admin panel? Turn them on or turn them off? And the only thing you have to do is modify the CSS file? (like SORT BY PRICE and so many more)

It took me nearly a year to get my first website correct, and then.... there was the next version of Zen Cart. So.., go ahead.., try to upgrade. Unless you want the original ugly green screen site.., it NEVER WORKS! You almost always end up re-designing the entire site from scratch.

So many "plugins" conflict with other "plugins" that you have to spend hours, if not days, to merge the files.

As for being "free"..., that depends on how you value your time. I actually have thousands, yep not hundreds, of hours into this and if you paid me a dollar per hour, I'd be a heck of a lot happier!

In retrospect, if I knew then what I know now, I would have purchased an online shopping cart system or never started a business.

So, in conclusion, unless you are "tech savvy" and know how to code, this is not the program for you. If, however, you are interested in programming and really don't care about having a viable business or an up to date website... this is definitely for you.

I thank ALL of you whom have helped me in the past, but this is like figuring out the Bible Code! (lol)

I KNOW many will disagree with me, and frankly.., I don't give a damn. The Truth is always the Truth.

Most Sincerely,
    Daniel Osko
    Osko Pool n Spa
    Daniel Osko

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why is this program so damn difficult?

I've never quite understood why Zenners post rants like this. I can only address a few of your points.

Plugins (more properly called 'modules' in the case of Zencart) are more complex than those for, say, Wordpress, because the program itself is a lot more complex, and does so much more.

The 'most popular' mods aren't included in the core because everyone has his/her own list of 'necessary' plugins. The goal is to keep the Zencart core as small and lean as possible.

If upgrading your site is removing your custom template, you're doing it wrong. There are step-by-step instructions available.

The whole idea of using free open source software is that you'll trade your time for the money saved. Just me maybe, but most of what I've learned about Web design and CSS has come from learning to use and configure Zencart, knowledge I've profitably used toward other pursuits.

I don't know how to code, but have used Zencart effectively for years.

Sorry your experience with Zencart hasn't been positive, but many of us use it daily, despite its faults, and newcomers shouldn't be scared away by one person's opinion.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why is this program so damn difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I've never quite understood why Zenners post rants like this.
    Frustration combined with a misguided belief that everyone else does things better. Well, that's my guess.

Plugins (more properly called 'modules' in the case of Zencart) are more complex than those for, say, Wordpress, because the program itself is a lot more complex, and does so much more.
    Ooo. Nasty. I really can't agree with this. In many ways it is comparing apples and oranges. ZenCart is an Ecommerce system, WordPress is a CMS system. On the grand scale, Wordpress is a lot more complex and does a whole lot more than ZenCart ever would.

With a little bit of a stretch of the imagination (and a little bit of work, which has already been done), one could conceivably argue that ZenCart itself could be a WordPress module in much the same way as WooComerce (and to a lesser extent) OpenCart is.

The 'most popular' mods aren't included in the core because everyone has his/her own list of 'necessary' plugins. The goal is to keep the Zencart core as small and lean as possible.
    Exactly - and by extension, the smaller and leaner it is, the easier it is to modify, maintain and *secure*.

If upgrading your site is removing your custom template, you're doing it wrong. There are step-by-step instructions available.

The whole idea of using free open source software is that you'll trade your time for the money saved. Just me maybe, but most of what I've learned about Web design and CSS has come from learning to use and configure Zencart, knowledge I've profitably used toward other pursuits.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sorry your experience with Zencart hasn't been positive, but many of us use it daily, despite its faults, and newcomers shouldn't be scared away by one person's opinion.
    Agreed. And a large part of the problem that many new users have with ZenCart isn't really because ZenCart itself is difficult to use, it is because Zencart often tends to be their 1st and only experience with server software beyond a point and click system (and more often than not, not even that). As such, not only do they struggle with ZenCart itself, but they also need to go back to the very basics of 'What is FTP' How do I use it? Where do I find or place the files? What is the database for? In short, many new Zenners are trying to run before they can walk.

The upside though is that in spite of the lack of basic knowledge, Zencart can STILL be installed and used by even the most inexperienced user, no *coding* knowledge needed. That in itself says something.

So, to Daniel, although you say "I KNOW many will disagree with me" (you weren't wrong), and "The Truth is always the Truth", one must consider that Truth is often a matter of perception. Your 'Truth' is clearly different than mine. :-)

BTW, was there a particular reason for this rant (after so many years)?

Cheers
    RodG