Plugin Contributions

Default [Duplicate] Check if needle actually exists before strstr? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

Hi. I don't know or understand under what circumstance $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] would not register, but I periodically get this error in my logs:

PHP Warning: strstr(): Empty needle in /includes/functions/functions_lookups.php on line 712
    It hasn't always been that particular file/line but that's the one it was this time. Every time I've seen it, it is related to $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

I wonder if the function(s) should check if $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] actually exists prior to doing the strstr?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Check if needle actually exists before strstr? Particularly $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR

Agreed. In v1.5.5 and v1.6.0 it's fixed by ensuring $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is never blank, even if the server isn't cooperating by supplying the visitor's IP address.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Check if needle actually exists before strstr? Particularly $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR

Sorry for the duplicate. I should have searched more. Lazy. Bad.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Agreed. In v1.5.5 and v1.6.0 it's fixed by ensuring $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is never blank, even if the server isn't cooperating by supplying the visitor's IP address.
    This should probably mean, empty $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is being replaced with 'dot' character (in init_sessions.php since 1.5.5), but I'm anyway getting the above mentioned error even using the latest version... (no idea how and why...)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Maybe your server configuration is blocking all access to that information.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

hey drB,
    i have a v1.5.5 install and i'm seeing this same error. not all the time, just ran into it twice the other day.

it is my understanding the browser could be behind a proxy server. and some code similar to this might help (obviously changed to the ZC section in functions_lookup):

Code:
    <?php
        if(! empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ){
        $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    }
    else{
        $ip = empty($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']) ? '' : $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];
    }
    in addition, it seems a bit odd to be checking the IP address against the exclude admin address list even IF the site is NOT down for maintenance. or perhaps that is just me.
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by carlwhat View Post
    hey drB,
    i have a v1.5.5 install and i'm seeing this same error. not all the time, just ran into it twice the other day.

it is my understanding the browser could be behind a proxy server. and some code similar to this might help (obviously changed to the ZC section in functions_lookup):

Code:
    <?php
        if(! empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']) ){
        $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    }
    else{
        $ip = empty($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']) ? '' : $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];
    }
    in addition, it seems a bit odd to be checking the IP address against the exclude admin address list even IF the site is NOT down for maintenance. or perhaps that is just me.
    I'm struggling to find how it could be blank if your solution is to grab the x_forwarded_for value, since that's already checked ahead of time.
    See: https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b....php#L777-L820

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Duplicate] Check if needle actually exists before strstr? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'

the problem is here:

https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b...okups.php#L747

i see no checks related to this location.... as the function does not take a variable.....

although i could be wrong....
    author of square Webpay.
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    premium consistent excellent support. available for hire.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: [Duplicate] Check if needle actually exists before strstr? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'

The variable is overridden by https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b...ns.php#L54-L59

But, the init_general_funcs loads before init_sessions: https://github.com/zencart/zencart/b....php#L134-L145
    It wouldn't surprise me that there are dependencies that prevent switching the order of these, but feel free to change the 70 to 59 as a test and report your findings.