Plugin Contributions

Default Postage Rate Problem

Hi, can some one tell me if what I would like to achieve is at all possible. Everything on my website is currently configured with no weights everything is at zero. We currently offer postage at £2.95 for orders up to £50 in value and free delivery on order values over £50. Everything we currently sell will fit inside the maximum size box to be sent via royal mail second class. We want to expand out products and some items will be larger in size and require a courier option for delivery. I need to be able to set our new products to default to the higher courier costs due to their size and then this new cost to be configured up to the value of £50, as again it would be sent for free if the total order value was over £50. I had a play around using different weights but not really knowing what I was doing I failed and came on here. Any help appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Postage Rate Problem

We want to expand out products and some items will be larger in size and require a courier option for delivery. I need to be able to set our new products to default to the higher courier costs due to their size
    What if a customer purchases one of your new items and one old item?
    What method/cost should be used?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply. If a customer purchased a mix of older and newer items then I would need the higher rate postage cost to be the default cost for the entire purchase, as soon as a new larger sized item is added to the basket. We would then do free delivery again after and order exceeds £50 in value.

Plugin Contributions

About how many of these larger sized Products are there?

Is this something that will change often?

What shipping module(s) do you currently use?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

We will probably have 10 larger products to start with but we are a growing business so this amount will creep up a few extra products every month or so throughout the year. I currently use the zone rate shipping module. We only ship to the UK and this was the easiest way to set up 2 basic postage rates when we started the website.

Plugin Contributions

You could customize the code to check for these products, but you would have to customize it further each time you add another one ...

A better way would be to add a new field such as:
    products_extra_shipping

and make it either 0 for off or 1 for on then you can test for this field and if it is in one of the products in the cart then in the shipping module check to see if any are in the cart ...

When you say you are using Zone Rate zones for this, what settings are you using to manage this?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!