Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Error in taxes in the shipping

The issue appears to be within /includes/modules/order_total/ot_shipping.php. Within that file, starting at line 50 (Zen Cart 1.5.5) you'll see:
    Code:
              if ($shipping_tax_basis == 'Billing') {
                $shipping_tax = zen_get_tax_rate($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id']);
                $shipping_tax_description = zen_get_tax_description($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id']);
              } elseif ($shipping_tax_basis == 'Shipping') {
                $shipping_tax = zen_get_tax_rate($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id']);
                $shipping_tax_description = zen_get_tax_description($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id']);
              } else {
                if (STORE_ZONE == $order->billing['zone_id']) {
                  $shipping_tax = zen_get_tax_rate($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id']);
                  $shipping_tax_description = zen_get_tax_description($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->billing['country']['id'], $order->billing['zone_id']);
                } elseif (STORE_ZONE == $order->delivery['zone_id']) {
                  $shipping_tax = zen_get_tax_rate($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id']);
                  $shipping_tax_description = zen_get_tax_description($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id']);
                } else {
                  $shipping_tax = 0;
                }
              }
    The processing when the shipping module's tax-basis is "STORE" requires that the order's shipping or billing address be within the store's default zone; otherwise the shipping cost is 0. That "maps" to the description you've provided.

Is there a reason that your shipping-tax basis wants to be "store" instead of "shipping"?

Plugin Contributions

The tax class is "Taxable Goods"
    Configuration / My Store doesn't have a zip/post code field. It only has Country (United Kingdom) and Zone (United Kingdom)

On checking, I noticed that in "Zone Definitions - Taxes, Payment and Shipping" it said "United Kingdom" in Country and "Please Select..." in Zone. So I selected "United Kingdom" which made it consistently wrong Not only did it not calculate the VAT, but the £0.00 line was labelled "Sales Tax" instead of "VAT"

So I went back and re-selected "Please Select..." and it works OK with the "Basis of tax" both set to "Shipping"

I'm not sure what is going on, but perhaps this helps identify the problem.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Is there a reason that your shipping-tax basis wants to be "store" instead of "shipping"?
    No, there isn't! It was a mistake on my behalf.
    It isn't a problem for me because it works OK set to "Shipping". However, there must be a reason for the setting being there, and it should work properly when selected!

Plugin Contributions

later... I can't see why that
    Code:
    } else {              $shipping_tax = 0;
                }
    would be there at all.

Surely it should calculate the tax on the basis of the store's address, not set the tax to zero.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    No, there isn't! It was a mistake on my behalf.
    It isn't a problem for me because it works OK set to "Shipping". However, there must be a reason for the setting being there, and it should work properly when selected!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    later... I can't see why that
    Code:
    } else {              $shipping_tax = 0;
                }
    would be there at all.

Surely it should calculate the tax on the basis of the store's address, not set the tax to zero.
    That would be my assessment as well; I'm hoping that one of the Zen Cart devs will "step in" and let us know what functionality was intended when the the shipping tax basis is set to STORE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12