Plugin Contributions

red flag I cannot see/add/edit any categories or products through the admin area

Hi I recently installed V1.54 - have been doing the template and layout once that was sorted I decided to then to the nitty gritty part of the site by adding/editing categories, defining pages etc.

Am I being very blonde - (bearing in mind I have not had coffee this morning) ... but I cannot see anything on the categories page to enable me to edit products. I can see them on the temp live site which is here http://costacupcakecompany.co.uk/upload/store/

I'm Selecting the Catalog tab clicking the categories/products tab and all I see is the attached (image below)

2, My second issue is in editing the define pages in that I can only edit in plain text and not html?
    3, Is there not an import/export facility on this version I thought there was one on the early version?

Name:  no categories.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  13.7 KB

Thanks in advance

Tracey-ann

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I cannot see/add/edit any categories or products through the admin area

Item 1: blank or partially blank screen: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page
    Item 2: html editor (ck editor) must be installed to offer that capability. See plugins section.
    Item 3: what type of import/export are/were you expecting? Ie what are you wanting to import what are you wanting to export. More than likely a plugin was installed to offer the desired functionality.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I cannot see/add/edit any categories or products through the admin area

Hi

Thanks for replying .

Re: Item 1 - There is not an "error" showing as such its simply not there ? I initially thought it was to do with the template that I installed but I have tried the classic default one and its the same on there.
    Item 2. I will have a look on the plug in and see if this helps
    and Item 3 The import for importing products via cvs will also have to look at the plug in section for this

Tracey-ann

Plugin Contributions

Would it be anything to do with SSL ? or am I clutching at straws here ? !

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CostaCupcake View Post
    Hi

Thanks for replying .

Re: Item 1 - There is not an "error" showing as such its simply not there ? I initially thought it was to do with the template that I installed but I have tried the classic default one and its the same on there.
    I'm sorry, but what about that first statement seems error free? Information ought to show, in fact part of the screen is properly drawn for the categories display, but it stops just after the icons. Unless an admin template was installed (there are some available) then no, some other store side template would not have a direct impact on this one area of the store. BTW, thank you for also confirming that other areas of the admin function (template switching) unless you did that all with files and/or phpMyAdmin.
    Have you done any of the following?
    2. Have you created any syntax errors in your customizations and/or file edits?

A PHP syntax error will very often result in a blank screen, or a partially-blank screen.
    When this happens, there is often also an entry in the server's errorlog, which you can often view via your hosting control panel area. But, sometimes you can't view that log without requesting your hosting company to access it for you, for privacy reasons. So, alternatively you can use the debug logging built-in to Zen Cart:

a) Check for the actual error messages in the store's myDebug-xxxxxxx.log files:

The built-in debug logging will create files in your website's /logs/ folder, named "myDebug-xxxxxx.log" (or "myDebug-adm-xxxxxxx.log" if they are from the admin side).
    (If you're on an older version of Zen Cart such as v1.3.9 or v1.5.0 then these will be in the /cache/ folder instead of the /logs/ folder.)
    (To access these files, use your FTP program to connect to your webserver. Your hosting company can help you with how to do that.)
    (If there are no myDebug-xxxxxxxxxxx.log files in your /logs/ folder, then you might need to make your /logs/ folder writable. Contact your hosting company's help desk if you need assistance with that.)
    You'll want to read the contents of these files to see what the actual PHP errors are.
    Then search this FAQ area for your error message and/or see the "Dealing with Error Messages" section, later in this article.

NOTE: When errors start occurring, the number of log files in this folder can grow very quickly. You can purge them by using the Debug Log File Purge option from your Admin->Tools->Store Manager screen.
    You will of course want to review the contents of those files first so you can address the problems they're recording.
    If you don't purge them, it will eventually slow down your website's performance, and use up a large amount of disk space.

NOTE: If you're running Zen Cart v1.3.8 or older, you REALLY need to UPGRADE ASAP! In the meantime, to enable the debug logging on older versions, use the Debug Error-Logging Tool from our downloads area.
    Item 2. I will have a look on the plug in and see if this helps
    and Item 3 The import for importing products via cvs will also have to look at the plug in section for this

Tracey-ann
    May I suggest EasyPopulate V4

Plugin Contributions

Would it be anything to do with SSL ? or am I clutching at straws here ? !
    Definitely clutching at straws...

See.. When code is being processed by ZC, such as displaying a page, if it (the ZC software) runs into an error that does not allow further processing, then it makes a log entry. Sometimes that error will result in an error message to the screen (Usually a SQL error), but most times... Blank... or a partially blank screen (such as the image above).

Now, that log is made into the location defined by DIR_FS_LOGS in your includes/configure.php file (or admin/includes/configure.php file in this case.) for ZC 1.5.1 and above. In previous versions it was the location defined by DIR_FS_CACHE. Respectively on default these are the /logs directory and /cache directories. In ZC 1.5.1 and above, both directories exist, but the cache directory is no longer where myDebugxxx messages are kept.

SO... assuming your directory path is properly formatted in the admin/includes/configure.php file to go to a writeable existent directory, then when trying to access the categories/products page as it is right now, a log should be generated.

The log(s) can be viewed either by FTP to the directory, or if you install lat9's display logs plugin. That will allow you to see the error logs from within the admin screen.

So if there is no "error" as stated earlier, does that mean that there are no such log files in the logs directory?

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC

I just reuploaded all the admin files overwrote the existing ones and guess what ? its working - phew ( only wasted half my day but it is now showing all the categories etc ...

I will have a look at EZpopulate thank you for suggesting it .

And will also try and find an html editor .

Thanks again xxx

Tracey-ann

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    superstar thank you have a lovely weekend