Plugin Contributions

Default 2 Questions about Categories

Hi -
    Q1. when a Category status is turned to Off does that mean it is not crawled by the bots? I want to duplicate (copy) a category, turn off the duplicate, rework the meta tags and other data then switch it back on when ready - without being pinged for 'duplicate content'.
    Q2. in changing the title of a Category do existing links still resolve to the new name ? (I think they do, just want to be sure :) )

cheers, Mike

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 Questions about Categories

Quote Originally Posted by shags38 View Post
    Q1. when a Category status is turned to Off does that mean it is not crawled by the bots?
    Correct. (Bots are little more than a web browser - If you can't see the disabled categories then neither will the bots)

I want to duplicate (copy) a category, turn off the duplicate, rework the meta tags and other data then switch it back on when ready - without being pinged for 'duplicate content'.
    I'm not really understanding why you need to make a copy to do this. There is no harm to be had by reworking the 'metatags and other data' on a live site.

The only benefit I see to your proposal is if you plan to have a 'big reveal'.

Q2. in changing the title of a Category do existing links still resolve to the new name ? (I think they do, just want to be sure :) )

cheers, Mike
    If you are using 'Native Zencart' code then yes, the existing links will resolve to the new names - HOWEVER, if you've opted to use one of the many URL rewriting modules (aka 'SEO mods') then no, they won't resolve. You will have to re-write the already re-written URL's in order to keep the links functional.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 Questions about Categories

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Correct. (Bots are little more than a web browser - If you can't see the disabled categories then neither will the bots)

I'm not really understanding why you need to make a copy to do this. There is no harm to be had by reworking the 'metatags and other data' on a live site.

The only benefit I see to your proposal is if you plan to have a 'big reveal'.

If you are using 'Native Zencart' code then yes, the existing links will resolve to the new names - HOWEVER, if you've opted to use one of the many URL rewriting modules (aka 'SEO mods') then no, they won't resolve. You will have to re-write the already re-written URL's in order to keep the links functional.

Cheers
    RodG
    Many thanks Rod - making duplicate category then reworking the items because the same items are searched for as their name implies (and website name), i.e. Harmony Ball but also as a ' generic gift idea' in a larger broader category (Pregnancy Gifts) that I want the site to rank well for also - trying to cover two sets of meta tags with one lot of product doesn't work well and this approach may be better than building a new separate site. The key to getting ranked in the broader category is to have that name in Category and Product Meta-Tiles (product description content also needs altering it goes without saying).
    I do use Ultimate SEO URLS so will check with author about the url redirect aspect - thanks for raising this aspect.
    Your explanation about what the bot sees and doesn't see is terrific, so simple when you look at it that way - has always had me wondering.

cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by shags38; 21 Jan 2016 at 03:55 AM.