Plugin Contributions

Default MySQL Support = OFF --- but it's on

Attempting a new zencart v1.54 from sourceforge install on a linux GoDaddy VPS which already has five other zencarts installed. All installed like butter. Most recent version of these successful installs is v1.51.

But today, with v1.54, at the the step: "main_page=inspect" I get "MySQL Support = OFF", even though phpinfo tells me it is installed and it works elsewhere.

I am baffled how to proceed.

Is this a prob with the newer version?
    Should I install the older version?
    Is there a patch?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MySQL Support = OFF --- but it's on

Hmmm ... does it allow you to proceed? Or is it not offering you a button to continue with installation?

ZC v1.5.4 is looking for the "mysqli" client to be available inside PHP. And it does this by asking PHP whether the mysqli_connect() function exists. When it doesn't exist, zc_install reports that MySQL Support is off.

PHP dropped support for the old "mysql" in PHP 5.5, replacing it with "mysqli". So, if your server is going to keep up with the rest of the internet it needs to be offering mysqli.

Talk to your server system administrator to have them provision PHP with modern capabilities. Or, to have them sort out why PHP is responding oddly with your current configuration.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Hmmm ... does it allow you to proceed? Or is it not offering you a button to continue with installation?

ZC v1.5.4 is looking for the "mysqli" client to be available inside PHP. And it does this by asking PHP whether the mysqli_connect() function exists. When it doesn't exist, zc_install reports that MySQL Support is off.

PHP dropped support for the old "mysql" in PHP 5.5, replacing it with "mysqli". So, if your server is going to keep up with the rest of the internet it needs to be offering mysqli.

Talk to your server system administrator to have them provision PHP with modern capabilities. Or, to have them sort out why PHP is responding oddly with your current configuration.
    Yes, there is a continue button
    No, it doesn't power you past this

If it's looking for mysqli support then why is it reporting what mysql support is off?

I have zero interest whatever in keeping up with the rest of the internet if that's gonna break something else. If I install mysqli support, will that screw the pooch on all the rest of my installs? I ask this because, years ago, I upgraded PHP only to discover the hard way that the new version had removed my ability to parse binary strings. That there was a two week Chinese fire drill to replace all PHP scripts reading old A5 databases with perl. Nightmare.

So, is it safe for me to install mysqli?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Davis View Post
    So, is it safe for me to install mysqli?
    Given that mysqli is the default mysql client in PHP in all modern installs, I'd say it's safe to have it.

But I can't speak for your particular server or its configuration or your compile settings.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

robert,
    i think the beauty of having a VPS is the ability to take snapshots. put all your sites into maintenance mode; take a snapshot, try installing mysqli and then see what happens. if you do not like what you see, restore the snapshot.

virtualization can be the bomb.... assuming you can take snapshots on your VPS.

good luck!
    author of square Webpay. called the savior by the chief bottle washer...
    mxWorks has premium plugins. donations: venmo or paypal accepted.
    available for hire.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MySQL Support = OFF - so what, I need Mysqli support?

This is driving me nuts.

My set up: All home equipment, no hosting. My System: PC with win7 pro 64, latest ZC, latest Mysql using installer, latest Apache. It all works

I recently set up ZenCart on Ubuntu on another computer. I just did it in one go, no problem at all.

Now I want to do it on windows 7. Nothing but aggravation with php.

I had all sorts of aggro getting PHP to work. I had to move some php dlls to Apache24/bin to get them to load. I put some full paths for these same addins in php.ini and that did not work.

I ran a php-info file. Mysqli is there and working. MySql is not there which is correct for latest php.

PhpMyAdmin works. Mysql workbench very happily reloaded my databases backup file. MySql has even installed my blowfish code under the MySQLi parameters.

BUT - ZenCart is blocking my installation because it can not find the MySql linker! It is telling me the database is not supported. These are the same versions which work on Ubuntu.

There is a pdo_MySql addin in php so I set that to load. No help there. The php info sheet shows PDO drivers installed.

Any help would be very welcome. Should ZC be testing for MySQLi support?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MySQL Support = OFF - so what, I need Mysqli support?

Quote Originally Posted by fredj View Post
    This is driving me nuts.

My set up: All home equipment, no hosting. My System: PC with win7 pro 64, latest ZC, latest Mysql using installer, latest Apache. It all works

I recently set up ZenCart on Ubuntu on another computer. I just did it in one go, no problem at all.

Now I want to do it on windows 7. Nothing but aggravation with php.

I had all sorts of aggro getting PHP to work. I had to move some php dlls to Apache24/bin to get them to load. I put some full paths for these same addins in php.ini and that did not work.

I ran a php-info file. Mysqli is there and working. MySql is not there which is correct for latest php.

PhpMyAdmin works. Mysql workbench very happily reloaded my databases backup file. MySql has even installed my blowfish code under the MySQLi parameters.

BUT - ZenCart is blocking my installation because it can not find the MySql linker! It is telling me the database is not supported. These are the same versions which work on Ubuntu.

There is a pdo_MySql addin in php so I set that to load. No help there. The php info sheet shows PDO drivers installed.

Any help would be very welcome. Should ZC be testing for MySQLi support?
    I'm guessing you're using an old version of Zen Cart. Since v1.5.2 it tests for mysqli only, because that's all that it supports.
    If you're using an older version then it'll be looking for the "mysql" client instead.