Plugin Contributions

Default Admin orders: Prices inc/ex tax

The description of the setting Configuration->My Store->Display Prices with Tax in Admin (DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX_ADMIN) reads:
    Code:
    Display prices with tax included (true) or add the tax at the end (false) in Admin(Invoices)
    but it's far more reaching than just the invoices. The function zen_add_tax (present in general.php) determines whether or not to add the tax based on this setting and that function is used in the admin-level base order processing (details, invoices and packingslips) as well as some plugins that have followed the lead of the /admin/orders.php.

Anyway, with that configuration value set to false, one result is that when the order's details display of the purchased products, the value for a product's price (inc) and (ex) tax are equal because the tax is being added ... nowhere (well, other than the order-total itself).

Was this side-effect intentional?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin orders: Prices inc/ex tax

Hi

I wouldn't classify it a intentional :)
    More unintentional but 'so what for now'

I don't doubt that we could do better in terms of the display, especially having worked on a UK site that sells to both B2B and B2C customers (In the UK for B2B you have to DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX and not for B2C) which is a challenge.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Admin orders: Prices inc/ex tax

wilt, I agree with your "so what" assessment. I brought it up only because a client pointed it out and the display didn't look "proper".

I'd suggest that a script should not use the zen_add_tax function if a value is supposed to display with tax unconditionally. My feeling is that this applies to the /admin/orders.php handling (based on the inc/ex column titles) and invoice/packingslip outputs.