Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    My client wants to upload multiple images for a product from their Ipad.
    They are taking product photos with the Ipad.
    They tell me that all the images on the Ipad are called image.jpg
    I am not familiar with using Ipads but on my Windows pc its impossible to have two image files named the same.
    The problem is when they want to do multiple images for a product. Apparently you can't rename an image file on the Ipad
    So when they upload their multiple images it's just replacing images instead of showing multiple images.
    I told them maybe they need to export to a pc, rename them, then import them back with different names.

    Is there a way around this?


    They say they are able to upload multiples of same name images to ebay and Gumtree.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    N of San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,336
    Plugin Contributions
    8

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    The problem is most likely involving the naming of the file. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...s-to-a-product talks about how to name files for additional images.
    Basically, if your main image is vinegar.jpg, naming the extras vinegar_01.jpg, vinegar_02.jpg, etc will automatically present the extra images.
    There is an app called GoodReader that is supposed to give quite a bit of file management to the iPad including renaming images. It's a paid app so I have not tried it.
    Another option is to use image handler. Image handler allows you to set any file as an additional image. With 1.5.4, you will need to find version 4.3.4 on github.

    The advantage to the app would be that you could rename all the files and FTP them to the site in one swoop. Then the system would automatically put them where they belong. NOTE: Be sure to read the link fully if you decide to use the renaming app. Similar file names can get you in trouble by adding them to the wrong product. It's discussed in the link.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,167
    Plugin Contributions
    7

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    They tell me that all the images on the Ipad are called image.jpg
    That could well be the default name that they are presented with when 1st saving a new image, but I can assure you that they will never be able to save it using the same name as a pre existing image/file in the same folder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    I am not familiar with using Ipads but on my Windows pc its impossible to have two image files named the same.
    Not just Windows - But ALL computers regardless of the operating system. This is one of those *facts that will never change.

    *caveat#1: Case sensitivity is to be taken into consideration - "Image.jpg" and "image.jpg" are not the same and will be allowed on most, but not all systems.

    *caveat#2: Rarely seen these days, but way back in the distant past file names could only be 6(?) characters long, plus the 3character extension, and there was a brief period where it was possible for a file to effectively has 2 different names - the short one, and a long one - and it *was* sometimes possible to have 2 (or more) files that *appeared* to have the same name (the short one).

    This is ancient history though and no longer relevant, so it's best to just accept the "fact" that filenames must be unique (withing the folder in which it resides)


    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    The problem is when they want to do multiple images for a product. Apparently you can't rename an image file on the Ipad
    If true, that'll be a good reason for me to never buy an iPad. Not that I ever would - too expensive compared to other devices with equal or better specifications.

    I'm not convinced this it true though. It just seems 'silly' to not have this ability. Mind you, 'silly' seems to be becoming more common as I get older. Perhaps that's just me though. ;-)


    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    So when they upload their multiple images it's just replacing images instead of showing multiple images.
    Even this is 'silly'. Most programs/software will give the choice - rename or replace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    I told them maybe they need to export to a pc, rename them, then import them back with different names.
    If the claim that all of the images have been saved with the same name (not possible), then an 'export' to a PC probably wouldn't work either - unless the prg used for the export has its own renaming option as the export is occurring - else the pc will complain that the file already exists - resulting in an overwrite or a rename.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    Is there a way around this?
    Unless demonstrated otherwise, I am going to be adamant that the statements aren't true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    They say they are able to upload multiples of same name images to ebay and Gumtree.
    I say this is 'bs' - There has to be some misunderstanding going on here and that things are not as they quite appear.

    Cheers
    RodG
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    5,620
    Plugin Contributions
    211

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    They say they are able to upload multiples of same name images to ebay and Gumtree.
    It is possible these systems don't use the source filename (i.e. they rename the file according to their own standards). Zen Cart does, and in a very particular way. See the link that @dbltoe posted.
    That Software Guy, Plugin Moderator. Store: Zen Cart Modifications
    Contributions: Quantity Discounts, Better Together, SMS on Sale, Gift Wrap at Checkout, and more.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,167
    Plugin Contributions
    7

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by swguy View Post
    It is possible these systems don't use the source filename (i.e. they rename the file according to their own standards).
    Good point. Easy to prove - and yes, they do.

    From a randomly selected ebay listing with two images:

    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5OVgxNjAw/z/FnoAAOSwFnFWCiTM/$_14.JPG">
    <img src="http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/f-sAAOSwKIpWCigp/$_14.JPG">

    I highly doubt that the original images would have been called "$_14.JPG" (and for the OP, even though both image names ARE the same, they are located in a different folder/directory (which would also have been automated by the upload process).

    Now that I've had a bit of a think about this, with sites like Ebay/Gumtree this kind of automation and renaming would be the only thing they could do because with so many images, and so many uploaders it would be practically impossible to leave it up to the persons uploading to keep the names unique - and this uniqueness is needed else the computer(s) would have a meltdown trying to figure out which to use, (not a literal meltdown of course)

    Cheers
    RodG
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The problem is most likely involving the naming of the file. https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...s-to-a-product talks about how to name files for additional images.
    Basically, if your main image is vinegar.jpg, naming the extras vinegar_01.jpg, vinegar_02.jpg, etc will automatically present the extra images.
    There is an app called GoodReader that is supposed to give quite a bit of file management to the iPad including renaming images. It's a paid app so I have not tried it.
    Another option is to use image handler. Image handler allows you to set any file as an additional image. With 1.5.4, you will need to find version 4.3.4 on github.

    The advantage to the app would be that you could rename all the files and FTP them to the site in one swoop. Then the system would automatically put them where they belong. NOTE: Be sure to read the link fully if you decide to use the renaming app. Similar file names can get you in trouble by adding them to the wrong product. It's discussed in the link.
    Thanks dbltoe I forwarded that to the client yesterday. They seem adamant that it's not them and the renaming. I am beginning to think otherwise.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    N of San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,336
    Plugin Contributions
    8

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    No worries.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    That could well be the default name that they are presented with when 1st saving a new image, but I can assure you that they will never be able to save it using the same name as a pre existing image/file in the same folder.



    Not just Windows - But ALL computers regardless of the operating system. This is one of those *facts that will never change.

    *caveat#1: Case sensitivity is to be taken into consideration - "Image.jpg" and "image.jpg" are not the same and will be allowed on most, but not all systems.

    *caveat#2: Rarely seen these days, but way back in the distant past file names could only be 6(?) characters long, plus the 3character extension, and there was a brief period where it was possible for a file to effectively has 2 different names - the short one, and a long one - and it *was* sometimes possible to have 2 (or more) files that *appeared* to have the same name (the short one).

    This is ancient history though and no longer relevant, so it's best to just accept the "fact" that filenames must be unique (withing the folder in which it resides)




    If true, that'll be a good reason for me to never buy an iPad. Not that I ever would - too expensive compared to other devices with equal or better specifications.

    I'm not convinced this it true though. It just seems 'silly' to not have this ability. Mind you, 'silly' seems to be becoming more common as I get older. Perhaps that's just me though. ;-)




    Even this is 'silly'. Most programs/software will give the choice - rename or replace.



    If the claim that all of the images have been saved with the same name (not possible), then an 'export' to a PC probably wouldn't work either - unless the prg used for the export has its own renaming option as the export is occurring - else the pc will complain that the file already exists - resulting in an overwrite or a rename.



    Unless demonstrated otherwise, I am going to be adamant that the statements aren't true.



    I say this is 'bs' - There has to be some misunderstanding going on here and that things are not as they quite appear.

    Cheers
    RodG
    Hey RodG,
    My nephew has an ipad so I got him to try to rename and image and he couldn't!
    So I will advise the client to upload images to dropbox and rename then download.
    Don't buy an ipad! lol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,167
    Plugin Contributions
    7

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    Hey RodG,
    My nephew has an ipad so I got him to try to rename and image and he couldn't!l
    Apparently a 3rd party application is needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    So I will advise the client to upload images to dropbox and rename then download.
    I'd like to know how this goes. Not the renaming aspect - but more so what the filenames end up as after the upload to Drop box.

    I've just performed a couple of quick tests in this regard.

    When I changed the image on my local machine and used a 'push' program to upload the 'new' file, it overwrote the original without warning, and no option to rename.

    When I'm logged into DropB and 'pull' the same file, Dropbox automatically renamed the file by adding as "(1)", etc after the name, and before the prefix.

    I'm assuming that the same behavior will exist with the iPad, and that is also assuming that the iPad has a Dropbox client that does a 'push' ---- So, if your client finds a problem where each image uploaded overwrites the previous image of the same name they will probably need to use a 'pull' method.

    If a little confused between the 'push' and the 'pull', the difference (in simple terms) is that if the images/photos are automatically synced to drop box it is using 'push'. If you need to log into Dropbox and select the images/photos to be uploaded it is using 'pull'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie_zaz View Post
    Don't buy an ipad! lol
    I'm convinced. :)

    Cheers
    RodG
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Apple Ipad and uploading multiple images to the store

    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    A
    I'd like to know how this goes. Not the renaming aspect - but more so what the filenames end up as after the upload to Drop box.
    I've just performed a couple of quick tests in this regard.
    When I changed the image on my local machine and used a 'push' program to upload the 'new' file, it overwrote the original without warning, and no option to rename.

    Cheers
    RodG
    RodG,
    Today I met with my client and we did the drop box thing.It worked just perfect.
    We uploaded the images, renamed them and when we exported them they kept their new renamed names!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. uploading multiple images confuses me
    By i-make-robots in forum Basic Configuration
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22 Jan 2013, 05:59 PM
  2. Can sales made via an ipad somehow ignore tax settings? (store v1.3.9d)
    By deviouscow in forum Currencies & Sales Taxes, VAT, GST, etc.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24 Jul 2010, 03:41 AM
  3. Uploading Multiple Images for a Product (Gallery Display)
    By Shaina in forum Setting Up Categories, Products, Attributes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12 Jun 2010, 06:19 AM
  4. Uploading images does the name matter
    By safraz1 in forum General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16 Sep 2009, 09:17 AM
  5. fckeditor - browsing and uploading to /images
    By jmatthewsr in forum All Other Contributions/Addons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31 May 2007, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
disjunctive-egg
Zen-Cart, Internet Selling Services, Klamath Falls, OR