Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: The future: Bootstrap or Foundation? And why?

I did understand you.

However, I think the person that advised that the devs just go for whatever works for them gave the best advice.
    Ultimately whatever call they make will be worked with by us, the users. They need to do the coding and that is not an easy task.

Seems they may be leaning towards Bootstrap and that should be just fine.

Plugin Contributions

I do agree with you in saying 'I think the person that advised that the devs just go for whatever works for them gave the best advice.' I suppose looking at it from their angle it is them that have to do the coding so totally agree. And besides anyway, Zen Cart is already pre-written as it now, so we all have to work within the confines of the code handed down to us. So I suppose if Bootstrap is used then its just another thing to work around or with. As you say, the coding won't be an easy task particularly in this case as it's taking Zen Cart up a notch. Probably it's biggest leap, for along while. I was probably 'overthinking' in my reply to this post.
    Nick Smith - Venture Design and Print
    https://venturedesignandprint.co.uk

Plugin Contributions

a) Bootstrap vs Foundation vs None vs Other (which one?)
    - Bootstrap

b) WHY YOU CHOSE THAT ANSWER
    - Easy to use because of it supported everything.

c) Are you answering as a storeowner, or as a programmer?
    - Programmer.
    Our Site: http://zucando.com
    Marketing Plugins: Marketing Modules
    Free Response Templates: Responsive Templates

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Should the next version of Zen Cart use a CSS/grid framework?

PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS .... and talk about both the storefront template AND the Admin:
    Bootstrap

Because there is a large community for bootstrap, and a ton of resources that would help developers create/modify templates. There are more developers that know bootstrap. There are several 3rd party templates that already use bootstrap.

Programmer

Plugin Contributions

As a non-programmer, I would like to know what uses these software will or could be put.

I am aware of a desire to replace certain calendars, but that is about all.

Plugin Contributions

Should the next version of Zen Cart use a CSS/grid framework?

PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS .... and talk about both the storefront template AND the Admin:

We're interested in understanding what's best for our community and would like your input on what will help make Zen Cart better for everyone.
    I too like others don't think admin should be a concern as reponsiveness; anyhow for your poll purpose:

a) bootstrap
    b) purely egoistic reason, I have already done couple templates using bootstrap, hence it'll be more familiar ... to think of it I have done so with foundation as well ...
    c) I am answering as an average dummy, I do have a slightly better knowledge than the average user (maybe, not even sure about it), but yet I have a lot to learn, and understand, therefor I think my vote could represent better the average user than that of gurus like DivaVocals, rbarbour, RodG, and the others (sorry for not mentioning you all).

That said I also like http://zengrids.com/ ... and what better than zen for zen? ;)

What I really would like to see in the next version would be the separation of layout (css) from the logic (php), meaning to have all css in the templates, and not having to put hands in files in the modules, or elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by keneso View Post
    What I really would like to see in the next version would be the separation of layout (css) from the logic (php), meaning to have all css in the templates, and not having to put hands in files in the modules, or elsewhere.
    That's an extremely broad statement. What specific CSS causes you specific problems in PHP files? There are very few places where that even exists, and most of those are for specific reasons. But, without understanding WHAT SPECIFIC place you're referring to (any what you find you need to change in those places), it's hard to target making specific improvements to suit your needs.
    Care to elaborate ... with specifics, not generalities?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for taking it into consideration.

it's hard to target making specific improvements to suit your needs.
    I wish I was that important!

Thanks for the feedback.
    That's an extremely broad statement. What specific CSS causes you specific problems in PHP files? There are very few places where that even exists, and most of those are for specific reasons. But, without understanding WHAT SPECIFIC place you're referring to (any what you find you need to change in those places)
    I totally understand that some of the code has to be the way it is because of technical issues I am unaware of, see my comment (post #7) here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/showthread....s-to-text-area

I agree there aren't many occurances of it, at least the ones I came across when needing to style those specific sections, anyhow as for more specific examples:
    modules/product_listing.php
    modules/new_products.php
    modules/featured_products.php
    modules/specials_index.php

With my limited understanding maybe
    Code:
    params' => 'class="
    have technical reasons, but
    Code:
    $title = '<h2 class="centerBoxHeading">'
    could be moved to the template file?

Again, it is not about me (well, maybe a little ) I have found and did what needed to be done (also with help here), but even if just a handful IMHO they should be moved to template files, and find a workaround also for the params output - hey you are the coders, it's your job, mine is to create problems!.

Plugin Contributions

I've changed my mind.

Just saw, and I'm about to use foundation 6.
    Foundation vs Bootstrap... can't really tell.

The reasons I've changed my opinion, is that sawing some recent videos about foundation 6, now one can use all that stuff as independent components, and not be trap to probably thousands of lines of code that doesn't use.

So the grid can now be use as a component, much like susy grids or singularitygs. Pretty cool, because one can define layouts with a few lines in scss using the system grid math, media querys and breakpoints, and NOT be digging in files to add classes on elements.

If bootstrap as similar features on the use of independent grid system, then sounds good also.

So, now, using this independent components, I'm moving from susy to foundation, cause I really like other stuff, that I needed to get some other npm. More or less, they're all in the same place.
    “Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” ― Bill Mollison

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mesnitu View Post
    I've changed my mind.

Just saw, and I'm about to use foundation 6.
    Foundation vs Bootstrap... can't really tell.

The reasons I've changed my opinion, is that sawing some recent videos about foundation 6, now one can use all that stuff as independent components, and not be trap to probably thousands of lines of code that doesn't use.

So the grid can now be use as a component, much like susy grids or singularitygs. Pretty cool, because one can define layouts with a few lines in scss using the system grid math, media querys and breakpoints, and NOT be digging in files to add classes on elements.

If bootstrap as similar features on the use of independent grid system, then sounds good also.

So, now, using this independent components, I'm moving from susy to foundation, cause I really like other stuff, that I needed to get some other npm. More or less, they're all in the same place.
    Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, both have compelling reasons for using them.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast