Plugin Contributions

Default Comments missing from Order email

Hi

I had an order today where the comments the customer put in did NOT appear in the order email. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this ?

The code from order.php

//comments area
    if ($this->info['comments']) {
    $email_order .= EMAIL_TEXT_COMMENTS_AREA . "\n\n". zen_db_output($this->info['comments']) . "\n" . EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n" ;
    $html_msg['ORDER_COMMENTS'] = nl2br(zen_db_output($this->info['comments']));
    } else {
    $html_msg['ORDER_COMMENTS'] = '';
    }

The if statement worked correctly because it did output the EMAIL_TEXT_COMMENTS_AREA into the email - but it was blank underneath.

In admin I can see these comments were put in -

Delivery is to XXXXXXXXXX, who is a teacher in the Maths Department in XXXXXX. This is a surprise
    Message for card - Happy 30th birthday Auntie Patty. Love you very much. Love R?ain.xxxx

Now the ? I suspect is a character that doesn't translate into zencart very well - but could it blank out the whole section in the email ??

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Comments missing from Order email

You don't indicate what version of Zen Cart you're using in your store, but older versions of ZC had more character-conversion issues that the more recent. In direct answer to your last question: Yes, a single character can nullify an entire PHP variable's data, if the character cannot be represented in the character-set your store is using.

A couple of other settings that might be pertinent:
    1. The DB_CHARSET value, present in your store's /includes/configure.php file.
    2. The CHARSET value, present in your store's /includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php (if present) or /includes/languages/english.php (if the template-override version isn't there).

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Comments missing from Order email

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    You don't indicate what version of Zen Cart you're using in your store, but older versions of ZC had more character-conversion issues that the more recent. In direct answer to your last question: Yes, a single character can nullify an entire PHP variable's data, if the character cannot be represented in the character-set your store is using.

A couple of other settings that might be pertinent:
    1. The DB_CHARSET value, present in your store's /includes/configure.php file.
    2. The CHARSET value, present in your store's /includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php (if present) or /includes/languages/english.php (if the template-override version isn't there).
    Using 1.5.4.

Thanks, I'll checkout what you've suggested.